1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Post] Royce White - Mental health awareness

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jul 29, 2019.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

2. jogo

jogo Member

<flame suit on>
    I think he makes a lot of valid points. Separate from his ability to play basketball, his anger, and whatever else he's done (what is the story of the bang bus?), he has anxiety and the NBA didn't want to deal with it. I don't know if he exaggerated anything to try to get what he wanted, but his story sounds true.

“They literally told me, ‘Listen, you’re right about mental health,’” White said. “’But if you don’t play, if you don’t play well, and if you don’t listen to us, no one is going to listen to you. We can control that. We have the platform, and without it you’re a nobody.’”
    This sounds totally true to me. If it was a lie then they'd probably go after him for slander.

He says he asked the Rockets to see an independent doctor, and they refused to let him do so. Instead, they hired their own psychiatrist, and said they would fine White if he didn’t see the psychiatrist every day.
    I can understand them wanting him to see their doctor, though mental illness is different from physical illness. However, seeing him every day is ludicrous and set up for him to fail. If they really wanted him to do that, then they're just putting steps in place so he can miss one appointment and they can say he's not following their protocol. Every day is asinine.

White’s fear of flying seemed to be a sticking point in the media. The Rockets reportedly offered him access to a bus in which he could travel to games instead of via airplane.
    If they did offer him a bus, then he should've taken that. But apparently he wanted a written policy and they refused. The bus idea sounds good and legit. But I can understand him wanting a written policy to protect his job. With no written policy, there is nothing to prevent the Rockets from canning him when they decide his anxiety is too much of a hassle.

“It took me six years to drive that point home. I’ve always flown. I flew when I got to the NBA. I flew to the NBA. I flew to Houston, I flew to Summer League, I flew to Philly, I flew to Sacramento,” White said.

“This whole flying narrative is a complete hoax. It was an easy scapegoat.”
    I don't know what to believe here. If he was willing to fly then why was there the talk about the bus? I'm not sure what's true here.

“We live in a time of anxiety,” Silver said, going on to speak about the isolation and depression that many players feel. In the wake of Love’s and DeRozan’s admissions, the comments were again well-received.
    So why, White asks, is the NBA so willing to embrace the conversation now, as opposed to seven years ago?

“It’s totally weasely and corrupt, it’s A1 snake s–t,” White said. “It’s just what an attorney would do. It’s like, we’ve dismissed mental health the whole time, but when we need to, we’ll use it as an angle, even to defend our players if it’s convenient.”

I think the NBA just realized this was a real issue a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's a CYA thing but I do wonder what the player's collective bargaining contract with the league says about this.
    BIG: Love and DeRozan are/were stars. If Royce was a star then it's possible the NBA would have acted differently back then. Maybe not.

And his point about substance abuse is big and I'm not talking about mar1juana. I'm sure alcohol and drug use are big problems in the NBA, likely as self-medication for anxiety/depression/etc.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Royce used the Rockets RV to get a 5th women pregnant with his mentally ill seed. The dude is a deadbeat idiot. He may have mental heath issues but so do mass shooters. Not an excuse to be reckless.

http://bossip.com/756073/dirty-dog-...king-her-up-in-an-rv-and-asking-for-abortion/

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The difference between Royce White and guys like Love and DeRozan is that those guys actually try very hard to be a good basketball player. That why when they speak about mental health, people listen to them, and when Royce White talks about mental health, people make fun of him.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can vividly recall him saying he is a musician and an artist when he first came into the league. He didn't 'clearly' put Bball player above his 'other talents'.

He has not created much since.......MMA is probably the most legit place to channel his inner demons into.....and he might fail there although he likes to punch folks.

Ramo$e and Easy like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Royce has mental health issues , but his core issue is that he is/was incredibly narcissistic .

I guarantee you had he been willing to work more with the rockets he could have had success in the league .... and with success and production comes power

Ramo$e and I am a Donut like this.
  7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Maybe he should start a conceited ******* awareness foundation instead

8. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Everything he did was a disservice to the mental health field. He never put anything into fixing anything himself. All he ever did was demand that others accommodate him. That is not how you cope with and recover from mental health issues.

He is an *******.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Royce White doesn't understand that just because he has mental health issues that it give him the right to be an a**hole.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

It doesn't give

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Shakes on a plane? Paging Samuel L.....

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Lol.... care to rephrase? That’s exactly the problem. Kevin’s problems are likely just as real but h e accepted help for it. Royce White spinning out in 2019 shouldn’t ruin perception it should provide clarity. This is someone who isn’t accepting help. Hell,we had Ryan Anderson on the team dealing with his girlfriend’s suicide but CF couldn’t freaking stop b****ing about his contract...this isnt exactly where we come for insight and understanding.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

no, i don't care to rephrase. Royce having a mental illness isn't the problem.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Royce is a AAA player!

Always an excuse.
    Always someone else's fault.
    Always about him.

ArtV likes this.
  15. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

This is it, man. If you have the misfortune of dealing closely with people like this in real life, but you are fortunate enough to have an understanding of cluster B personality disorders like narcissism, you will begin to spot these people a mile a way. Royce ticks all the boxes. They will lie and manipulate and use people and wreck havoc on everyone in their path.

They quite literally lack the capacity for empathy and many other normal human emotions. For a recent popular example see Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos. It's a dark thing, and there is no cure. They recognize their actions are harming others and quite literally don't care, because they are the only person who matters. Whether this guy has an anxiety disorder of not (highly unlikely) is irrelevant--he doesn't deserve the same consideration as decent people who are suffering.

topfive and Easy like this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Only on Clutchfans, after years of b****ing about the guy, “be well” posts and a generally less-than-desirable attitude towards mental illness (among other topics) could you find someone commenting on a story in 2019 where Royce is taking credit for other player’s awareness campaigns instead of realizing he sabotaged his own career (and at only 28 continues to do so), such that “mental illness isn’t the problem”. Self-sabotaging behavior, narcisicistic to the point of delusion and completely unwilling to accept a whiff of criticism or advice....

Pray tell, what IS the problem?

17. MystikArkitect

Saying Royce White is an advocate for mental health awareness is like saying Michael Sam is an advocate for gay acceptance.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

"I will hoe ever defend myself"

LOL she needs to learn to proofread.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

+1 for use of "Pray tell." Cultured AND snarky!

Dankstronaut likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

The NBA announced an expanded set of mental health policies for 2019-20 on Wednesday, according to The Athletic's Sam Amick.

The league office reportedly issued a memo to all 30 teams, announcing the following measures required by each team for the upcoming season.
    • All teams must have at least one mental health professional on retainer. Each professional must have "experience in assessing and treating clinical mental health issues."
    • Each organization must "identify a licensed psychiatrist" available to help manage any mental health concerns.
    • All teams must, "enact a written action plan for mental health emergencies."
    • All 30 teams need to attend a "health and wellness meeting" in Chicago in September.

Game7 likes this.