1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Axel Dench to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by getsmartnow, May 18, 2001.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Story from www.nbl.com.au

----------------------------AXEL DENCH has a soft touch for a big man, sweetly shooting outside shots with the grace and skill of a guard.

But the 211cm Australian centre wants to show he can bang heads with the big boys inside the keyway when he tries out with the NBA's Houston Rockets.
    One of the heroes of the Wollongong Hawks' surprising NBL championship victory, Dench leaves early next week to play for the Rockets in NBA summer leagues in Long Beach and Salt Lake City.

Dench, 25, tried out last year with several NBA teams, including Houston, after graduating from Gonzaga University.

"Last year was a huge learning experience," Dench said. "The Rockets liked the fact I could be an outside shooter, but I'd like to go inside and prove I can bang with the big guys.

"I have to prove can pull down the boards."

Dench took up basketball growing up in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, rather than his father's sport of fencing.

"My father (Roger) fenced for Australia at the World University Games in Tokyo," Dench said. "He still has quick hands. They didn't make white suits big enough for me."

After leaving high school, Dench juggled playing basketball in the minor CBA league and studying business marketing part-time at Monash University. "I was doing one subject a semester," Dench said. "I was going to be there longer than Andrew Gaze (who took 12 years to earn a degree). It was time to get an education."

Dench decided to pursue an education while playing basketball at an American college.

He spent four years at Gonzaga, which he described as the "best basketball, social and life experience I've had, to date".

A small school in Spokane, Washington, Gonzaga reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament in Dench's last two seasons and he was noticed by NBA scouts.

"I went over knowing I'd get a degree and come back a better player," he said. "In my third year, there were rumours NBA teams were interested in me. I did well in my senior year and the rumours became stronger. I thought maybe I can give it a good shot."

Despite interest from Detroit Pistons, Dench was overlooked in the 2000 NBA draft, but he had tryouts with Portland TrailBlazers, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston.

"It was pretty intimidating," Dench said. "You don't know what they want to see.

"You just have to play your own game and do what you do well, and see what happens."

Dench returned to Australia to develop his game with Wollongong and received the added bonuses of a championship ring and the NBL rookie-of-the-year award.

"It was a fairytale," Dench said. "We had such a strong belief in ourselves. I think they're still celebrating in Wollongong."

Dench cut short his celebrations to prepare himself for another opportunity to "live the dream" in the NBA.

Apart from Hakeem Olajuwon, the Rockets do not have outstanding talent at centre so Dench has a good opportunity to compete for a back-up role.

"It's hard to say it's not important," Dench said. "That would be hugely arrogant.

"I've got nothing against the NBL but, after winning the championship in my first year, where do you go? The next logical step is the NBA. It's every player's dream. If I don't make it this time, there will be areas of my game I'll improve on. I can only get better. Hopefully, the offers will keep coming."

If Dench does not secure an NBA contract, he will return to Wollongong, but he is also trying to obtain a Belgian passport, which would allow him to play in Europe as a local player.

"I can't see myself not wanting to go back to Wollongong," he said. "We'd give it a serious run for another championship.

"When you're on a good thing, why change? Unless the NBA comes knocking."

----------------------------------

From what I've seen in the NBL, he could be compared to Jason Collier. I know we can do better than him in the draft.

Thoughts anyone??

------------------
    http://titansmania.50megs.com

2. today

today Contributing Member

Sounds way too soft to me. I'd rather have Axel Foley in the post.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight."
    -- Barkley on Minnesota's Chris Carr(thx RocksMillenium)after he missed a game winning free-throw.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or maybe Axel Rose? [​IMG]

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

LMAO you have been watching too many Eddie Murphy movies LOL [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

5. rompa

rompa Member

I seen this guy play... and he sux
    bang with the big boys? lol what a joke form a guy who sits on the 3pt line most of the time! The Rockets would be crazy to sign him up.

------------------

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Again a little too soft, I'd rather bring in Judge Reinhold.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

7. lived

lived Member

This guy is a weenie.. I don't believe the Rocks actually asked him over... what a waste of time

------------------
    Do not harm little children!

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Who needs him when you have the legendary cato. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wakko67 (edited May 19, 2001).]

9. Band Geek Mobster

Axel Rose

[​IMG]

vs

Axel Foley

[​IMG]

vs

Judge Reinhold

[​IMG]

vs

Axel Dench

[​IMG]

----------

I'll take Axel Foley for obvious reasons...yowzaa

(Judge ain't doing bad either)

------------------
    I wrote her this love letter, but she don't know how to reeeaaad!

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited May 19, 2001).]

10. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Axel Dench IS Judge Reinhold.

------------------
    "If you don't understand it,
    don't try to understand it."
    -Carl Everett

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This thread is NOT complete without a quote from Smeggy. Only another man from down under can get the "inside scoop". Calling Mr. Smeg.......Mr. Smeg.......

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited May 19, 2001).]

12. today

today Contributing Member

My name is Johnny Wishbone. And I'm a psychic from the island of St. Croix. I'm thinking of who will get the #1 pick tomorrow in the NBA and it is.... is..... ummmmmmmmmm........ The Rockets! See? I just think real hard and the name just pops in my head because I am Johnny Wishbone, psychic from the island of St. Croix.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight."
    -- Barkley on Minnesota's Chris Carr(thx RocksMillenium)after he missed a game winning free-throw.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Gator,

Dench fits in perfectly wit the type of big player Rudy already likes, and this is even more increased by the introduction of Zones. Think he nearly led the league in 3pt percentage. As he says he needs to rebound better and also defend alot better, his offense is great but the Defense often lokks like he is stuck in Quick sand, so really he would be a perfect fit to the defense played by francis, cat, walt, Mo, etc.

Smeg

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Rudy: Where do we go now? Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye! Where do we GOOOO? OOOHH, Where do we go now?

15. Colby

Colby Member

Since we don't have to waste a draft choice, lets give him a look. People that can hit the jump shot will be valuable.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. if we can trade cato for him i'll do it!

------------------