1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can I do to fix my jumpshot?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rasheed, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

I play ball every now and then semi-competitively in local leagues. My jumper has always been somewhat ok but I feel like I can be better. Been wondering what are some tips y'all can give me? Been shooting about 100 jumpers daily at the gym, but really need some follow through tips and such.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

YT Shotmechanics is who i learn from. He breaks down curry and Hardens shooting form real good.

3. droxford

droxford Member

Post a vid of your current jump shot. Can't advise you on what to change if we can't see what you're doing wrong.

Blurr#7 and Rasheed like this.
  4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Get training and playing seriously with paulwtfk @paulftsk

Not only will your jumper accuracy improve, but the quick release will make it unstoppable

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Retire.

BigM and ThatBoyNick like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A bump of snow always gets my shot humming boi

7. theimpossibles1

@Rasheed

Seriously. Forget about mechanical thoughts. You must remove all tension. You will never have a consistently good shot if you are carrying tension. Once you feel completely relaxed, then work on form.

Ottomaton and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pull your elbow in.

Center of mass of the ball needs to sit directly over your wrist which needs to sit directly over your elbow.

I actually have to stretch my elbow to pull it all the way in.

Watch every stud shooter not named Reggie Miller. They all line up. Some it is more obvious than others.

It's the same physics that causes sidearm baseball pitchers to be wild AF. A good shooter only misses long or short, never side to side.

There are plenty of teachers who will try to teach otherwise, but they are wrong.

Also, reduce moving parts and simplify your motion as much as possible.

9. conquistador#11

Looking at youtube highlights from the past, Dominique, MJ and the Glide all elevated like they were dunking when shooting the threes earlier in their careers. I wonder if they would have been consistently better shooters from 3 had they not put some extra ummf in their jumpshots. I'm no Paulfsk with that quick and deadly release but I'm curious if the JUMP in jumpshot is overrated. Mario Elie elevated around an inch.

10. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Six star pro nutrition Walmart mix by Westbrook...

11. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

TBH OP I would consult people who have played the game at a high level like @Aspiring Player or @basketballholic instead of your regular Joe 24 hr fitness pick up bench scrub like @paulftsk

Rasheed and Aspiring Player like this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

Look at the back of the rim each time you shoot, and just take more shots. It just comes with repetition. When you add real defense that concentration on the back of the rim will remove them from the equation.

bigdaddy likes this.
  13. Aspiring Player

If you truly do cocaine then you are a joke on the court. Loser mentality

OP do what comes natural. Try not to focus too much on spin

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If a little bump before hooping is so bad, then explain to me why Corey Brewer is a 11 year vet and nba champion??

15. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Thanks for nothing. :rolleyes:

16. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

B.E.E.F

tmoney1101 likes this.
  17. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I don't want to provoke anyone, but I significantly improved my jumpshot by using the Steph Curry technique (in a limited sense): depending on your court position, set your eyes on the middle of the rim and maintain that eye contact with the rim until the ball goes through the basket.

I had a tendency to follow the arc of the ball after I shot it, which means that my eyes left the target at a crucial point during my shooting motion. I really improved my shot just by concentrating on fixing my eyes on the rim (usually either on or between the eyelets holding the net) and maintaining that eye position for the entirety of my shooting motion.

It's a simple thing, but it worked well for me. I think many amateurs don't necessarily think about controlling small physical things like that, but sometimes something as seemingly-minor as gaze ends up being the most significant part of shooting. All the repetition in the world won't do much if you're just repeating the same bad technique.

cheke64, tmoney1101 and CCity Zero like this.
  18. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Mr. Brown

Where are the fireworks you promised? At this point we want moar fireworks and don't care much about your Sunday league above 50's shoot around

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Balance Eyes Elbows Follow through. Came here to say this.

Lurch likes this.
  20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Triggered