1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Morey's defense...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkim1984, Jul 24, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another idea I had, if you can't sign players that already won championships, why not get people like Jerry West?

People with championship pedigree and who are respected throughout the league?

If Tilman is really serious about winning.

Neither MDA nor Morey has won ships before they joined the Rockets.

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Money pinching at its very best.

As great as its to be competitive almost every seasons, all Rox got to show for the last 10 seasons, is 0 Finals appearance.

Yes its been closed, but I would rather have Lakers last 10 seasons, 2 title wins with 6 seasons not reaching the playoffs.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some of you children are spoiled. Ya’ll didn’t have to live through the T-Mac Yao year’s of first round exists.

The Harden era has been way better than that crap

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

very impressive.

considering how cheap tilman is this is actually comforting to know he will want to keep morey around.

also, if morey's cost per win is about $1.5M, imagine if he was allowed to spend more than minimum contracts for the bench :eek:

#24 smoothie, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    topfive likes this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly the kind of idiotic mentality that has invaded our space of late. Get some perspective, Dude. or at least attempt to. DM positioned us to where we were on our way to another title. The Lakers were a beaten team (b****es they may be) when Yao went down..After, Daryl was in a situation with Les where Our Supreme Owner had issued the edict..thou shalt not rebuild..something DM would have knocked out of the park.. All the while King Les is getting fat on the calf with $$$$$ made from his new business associates in the Far East. And, will do anything to cater to them, as this is his primary focus. (including riding the Yao cow into the sunset/no rebuild then or ever (leaving us in purgatory)...uniforms, stadium, Jeremy Lin....Lord, we had an identity for many years before he came along, and he wants to pimp us out?
    Anyway, sorry..I digress...DM, being the Wizard he is.. amazingly...succeeds in this outlandish charge.(a Les enabler) He grabs Harden, and puts together teams that, in any other year...win the title. Well, we DID, but..we were up against one of the greatest teams of All Time, AND Adam Silver.

So, you're going to simplify this down and knock one of the greatest GM's ever?

I'll take Daryl over anyone in the League. He knows what needs to be done.

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

Excellent stuff here. Very nice!

7. HP3

HP3 Member

And yet none of those teams did as well against the Durant Warriors as we did. Look at Toronto, you think the way Toronto beat them, made you confidently say they were better than us....nah. Milwaukee may have given us some trouble but I like our chances against them as well.

topfive likes this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Jerry West has never won anything nor recruited star players outside of LA.

Daryl Morey's resume is better than Jerry West's non-LA resume.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you really lived thru the Yao and Mac glass body days, all you want is a solid championship, a solid one but ASAP.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Jerry did not need to be a GM to get Kawhi and help lure Durant to the GSW.

https://www.nba.com/warriors/staff/jerry-west

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) Kawhi didn't go to the Clippers because of Jerry West, he went because LA
    2) Durant didn't go to the Warriors because of Jerry West, he went because 73 wins

AroundTheWorld, YOLO and SamFisher like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You also dun get West to be member of your team because he can deliver ships on his own.

You hire him because it gives you more pedigree with FAs and more respect......and they got great ideas.

That is just a Lego building block.

Morey would need a public figure because he isn't that popular around the league.

Maybe we are at crossroads here because you think it can be done without someone like that.

Sure, it can, but I just want a SHORTCUT.

And dun give me that he didn't win outside of LA, because people like MDA haven't won anywhere.

PS: And Morey is just a glorified Yes man under Fertitta anyway.

His talents are wasted under such an owner just as Harden's would be wasted if Westbrook implodes with that ridiculous contract of his.

#32 daywalker02, Jul 25, 2019
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like this kind of stat keeping, nice work.

Obviously Morey does the best he can with some penny pinching owners.

DD

14. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

And I'll take anyone's opinion over yours given your track record of BS outta here.

15. Plowman

Supporting Member

I doubt you'll be posting much longer.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

What about the statsheet that shows that Houston has won more games than anyone in the league over the last two regular seasons, and likely would have a trophy or two if we hadn't faced an all-time great team in the playoffs?

Is that meaningful enough for you? Or is not winning it all exactly the same as being as bad as the Suns or Knicks in your eyes?

#36 topfive, Jul 25, 2019
    Plowman likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Says who? Just because you don't like him doesn't mean everyone around the league feels the same. I've never seen anything about quality players bad-mouthing Morey.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Says who? I am disliking him? I am liking him too much, I want to set him free from this owner that won't let him do his work. Lulz.

I like him more than I like Harden, MDA or Fertitta. He has the most talent and vision but isn't necessarily the best fit here.

I have never said he was hated, just not liked because he lacks empathy and human touch.

His Twitterade dun do the trick either.

See. Liking somebody is also not forcing them to be in a relationship, you got to let them be free!

For years he has been working on efficiency and shooting, now he gets Westbrook, the Anti-Morey, and who has he thank for that?

#38 daywalker02, Jul 25, 2019
  19. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

For calling you out on your history of bad takes?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/so-how-much-do-we-win-by-tonight.298688/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/rockets-will-win-game-2.298212/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/what-will-carmelos-per-be.293080/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/well-win-it-all-this-year.292993/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/the-how-would-you-like-your-crow-served-thread.292381/

Plus, if your buddy basketballaholic can get away with telling people to "GET OUT OF THE COUNTRY" or whatever and others here casually throwing around the "N" word, calling you out in comparison for fake news is no violation. Grow up.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Okay, so you don't hate him. You actually like him a lot. My bad.

STILL, you say he's "not liked because he lacks empathy and human touch" and that his social media presence also makes him unlikable, and that's what I'm talking about. You're assuming because you think a certain way about him that it's just a given that that's how he's seen by everyone.

Again, I've never seen anyone of importance in the NBA say something bad about Morey. It's just a mostly ClutchFans myth that players don't like him because assets/spreadsheets/data/neverplayedthegame/etc.

daywalker02 likes this.