1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LOGICAL THOUGHTS ON "ANTHONY BENNETT"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T. Will tha Don, Jul 23, 2019.

1. RocketRoller

RocketRoller Member

Don't know about his defense, but I love his 42% 3's over the last 3 years. Shoot like that in the NBA and you'll make the team. Trouble is, he won't get the open looks he had in the G-League.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. kevtse

kevtse Member

No open looks playing alongside Harden and Westbrook? Just wait at the corner and he will get tons of open looks.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Bennett needs to calm down when he gets his chance. If he takes too long to get comfortable, he'll get cut. Dantoni may not let him miss his first 16 shots. His timing is off and there will be an adjustment from G-League to NBA. A lot of this will mental resilience.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Huh ? Capela might be the best rim runner in the entire league.

jboslett, D-rock, biff17 and 3 others like this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If he can make the team & get on the court - to do those things he has to play defense and rebound on a Ryno level (that aint asking a whole lot but its more than he has done).

No defense , no rebound …. he's gone.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I've already mentioned this but the more I watch of Bennett, the more he reminds me of a former #1 pick, Glenn Robinson. The Big Dog had similar size and shooting form. If Bennett can be just a serviceable addition in our system, I think the main difference between the 2 players will be volume of shots. Big Dog was never very efficient, shooting 46% from the field and 34% from 3 for his career.

Big Dog averaged 21 PPG off of 18 FGA for his career. I expect Bennett to shoot slightly better from 3, but have a lower FG% due to the volume of his 3 point FGA. Robinson only shot about 15% of his shots from 3, where I'd expect Bennett to shoot around 45-55% of shots from 3.

For comparison, PJ shot a whopping 75% of his shots from 3 last season, but Bennett is a better finisher, so I expect more 2's from him. Robinson was very talented in his generation, but Bennett will have the advantage of modern day analytics on his side. Big Dog's bread and butter was the mid-range, which we know we won't see much of from Bennett next season.

It's not absurd to think Bennett can average 10.5 PPG off of 9 shots next season playing 18 minutes per game. All of that would be on par with Robinson's averages minute for minute.

#26 withmustard, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Same could be said about... PJ Tucker

lionaire likes this.
  8. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Yea that's a weird thing to say. Bennet can barely dunk the ball. Dude is habitually overweight.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They won't give him much time, half a year to a year at best.

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No worse than Faried!!!!!!! What kind of crack cocaine are you on????? Please share with the rest of us as we’ll need it if that scrub ever sees the floor this year!!!!!

11. T. Will tha Don

He hit about 4 threes for the season. But he was too dependent on the lob.

12. ball king23

ball king23 Member

is this a low risk signing

13. T. Will tha Don

Ya mammy is on crack and tricked us all by calling them skittles lmao oops. Bro this is why I said potential and geared the post for the serious responders who dont have daddy issues. Faried was a good pickup but you cant be limited defensively, offensively, and dont get boards. Thats why he fell out of the rotation in the playoffs. Im saying Bennett's athleticism is likened to Faried but Faried CANT SHOOT like Bennett. SHOOTING is a skill that the D'Antoni system thrives with. Yes Bennett leaves a lot to be desired up to date on the boards and defensively; no arguments here Sir. But For whatever reason Morey brought him based off of skillset, system requirement for a role, and untapped potential that a D'Antoni style team gives players to grow freely. Now go to rehab slim.

14. T. Will tha Don

He actually shoots it better than Danuel House and even though House fell out of the rotation he lit it up for us early on and I expect development defensively in yr 2. So Daryl is showing a pattern.

15. T. Will tha Don

Blind again. Boo this man. LOOK at the tape from a this past season. If he can do nothing else, he can dunk.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Both were low risk high reward signings.

What makes you think we're going to lose anything, but opportunity, if we see what Bennett has in his still extremely young tank?

Deckard likes this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm expecting Bennett to play on a level somewhere between Jesus and Michael Jordan.

D-rock, Deckard and treyk3 like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

My logical thought is Bennett has his name in the rafters by the end of the year. First Rocket ever to have his jersey retired midseason.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

napalm06 likes this.
  20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I could see a line up where tucker is at 3 and bennet at 4. It is a look that we have never really had with a big at 4 who can roll to the bucket (like fareed) and who could shoot 3s (like ryan anderson). he may not do those things as well as the manimal or ryno but he has the ability to do both.
    its not like the manimal or rivers were considered superstars or even fully serviceable before coming to the rockets but they did more in the Rockets system than they were doing otherwise. It is not unreasonable to think bennett can do the same and be productive for 10-15 min