1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Feb 25, 2004.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This offseason will be extremely interesting with the trade exception and Steve's BYC expiring.

Does anyone think we could possibly move Steve to a lotto team for their #1 and some other players and pick up Jameer Nelson with the pick? Say, Chicago. If they get into the top 3 or whatever, give them Steve for their #1, and salary to match Steve. Then use whatever else they give us plus the trade exception to notch a star player such as Rasheed, etc.

What if we could get a #1 lotto pick, a bad contract, and a player like Crawford or Hinrich for Steve? Wouldn't that be interesting?

Just food for thought.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes.

3. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

I'm all for getting Jameer Nelson.

4. birat

birat Member

SF will have no value by then... not even NY will let Moochie be traded for him.

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I think SF will have a pretty good value when the summer comes. The majority of the league and media think he is stuggling this year because of JVGs more controlled system, but we all know its a lack of fundamentals. I do have some reservations about trading steve though. If we trade steve we are assuming yao will take over and lead the team. Yao still needs some strong personalities around him to continue to grow and like it or not thats steve.

6. birat

birat Member

I'll buy that idea.

7. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

The bottom line with regards to SF is becareful what you wish for you just may get it. SF wanted to be a PG when he came into the league probably because he felt it was an important position - thus making him important. He has little idea how to truly play the position properly, and he lacks some of the talents needed to be truly great at the position - court vision, quick decision making ability, etc..

HOWEVER, this does not mean SF is a bad player. I still feel that if he is moved to SG, and made the primary scorer on some team he could be an elite player. There is no reason that SF couldn't average 25ppg in the right situation. I feel that his shot is off because he is thinking too much, not playing naturally. Take the decision making out of the equation and let him focus solely on finishing plays and watch his scoring numbers go up.

For anyone that thinks overthinking won't negatively effect performance go find some video footage of Chuck Knoblach's errant throws from 2nd to 1st base when playing with the Yankees. This is an excellent example of what too much thinking can do to a player.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The guy was a starter in the All-Star game. How could he have little or no value?

9. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

Jameer Nelson is he same type of player as Francis, a scoring point guard. Would he really excel in JVG's system?

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hinrich is the perfect complement to Yao, Crawford isn't. Crawford is, however, a good complement to Steve. IF we use Steve to get Hinrich (assuming Chicago could be so motivated) we have to take also some bad contracts (AD, JYD, E ROB) to match salaries; esp. if we are doing do after BYC expires. To make this more palatable, we speculate that Chicago could balance the scales by giving us one of their underperforming high potential big man.

You can mix and match to create your preferred scenario.

Now, add to this volitile mix your lotto draft pick. The pick has value to both franchises. It's no throw-in. You're going to have to balance the scales with us getting less immediately and Chicago getting a complete team immeditately, by adding another quality player to their take.

I do see a trade involving Chicago in the offseason, but I think it might be a three-way; because there are enough variables to allow three teams to satisy needs; where we could trade star for star, and Chicago and team 3 could exchange potential at positions of need. Add in bad contracts to fit : Seattle gets Curry + pick, we get Allen + Hinrich, Chicago gets Steve + pick. Bad contracts and add ins are best if they fit needs of other teams - Seattle gets a forward (JYD, Taylor) Chicago gets a sf and back up pg, Houston gets a pf.

There's your chemistry set. Go.

11. Charvo

Charvo Member

The same thing can be said for Rick Ankiel of the St. Louis Cardinals. However, that is the last thing that you want to attach to a player. The guys who have lost their mental edge are out of the professionals within a short period of time. Ankiel is gone. The former closer on the Braves is gone. Look at Kurt Warner. The guy used to be a 2 time MVP, and he looks like a scrub now.

Steve needs to get with Calvin Murphy. I read that he's practicing with Van Gundy or one of his assistants. Calvin is waiting by the phone.

12. buddry

buddry Member

I don't understand all the trade threads where we expect other teams to throw thier best players at us. If Hinrich is so good, why would the bulls want to get rid of him?

Anyways, lay off the damn trade posts for about 3 months. You will have plenty of time to speculate then.

13. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I wouldn't call SF a head case, I just used the example of Knoblach to illustrate the how drastically the mind can negatively effect performance. I think his problem is he just doesn't have what it takes to make him an above average PG. I think the best example would be Kordell Stewart. When Kordell was in his slash role with the Steelers, he was an excellent multi-talented player. When he moved to QB some of his warts were revealed at that position. If he would have moved back to the slash role, I believe he would have again become a very dynamic player.

SF clearly has some warts in his PG game, BUT if you moved him to the 2 and let him free stroke a little more (something that won't happen with JVG) I think he could become a 2nd version of AI.

14. Luis Alvarez

Luis Alvarez Member

i'm for it but i think we can get more for steve but i would like to draft Jameer or even Raymond Felton I heard he was going to declare him self eligble for the draft.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

No Charvo, tell me you don't mean it! I love your posts and agree with 99% of what you usually write, but you have really hurt my feelings with this one. How can Warner look like a "scrub" when he didn't play but the first two games of the season and was injured. He has had no chance to show that he has recovered. I would like Warner to be traded to the Cowboys, and I believe he could make them a real contender. If he can "hold" a ball, Warner is one of the most accurate passers ever. He is also smart. I love Kurt Warner, and just because his thumb was broken into a million pieces doesn't make him into a "scrub." Wash you mouth out with soap! ;)

16. wink2cat

wink2cat Contributing Member

bump... j/k

17. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Stop this stupid bumping jokes. Every time someone bumps a thread from the past for no reasons, someone's new and maybe valuable thread gets bumped out of the first page.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is an old, old thread. How did it get in here?