1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] An ode to Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 18, 2019.

1. threepointshot3

Says the lin fan troll who replies to himself with his multiple handles and bashes harden nonstop

Blurr#7 and ipaman like this.
  2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

You think everyone who supports the Russell Westbrook trade was a huge fan of his before he became a rocket? I’d be willing to bet those numbers are very low. Again though, we’ve already had this debate and the people I was referring to above are not the same people you’ve changed the topic to.

This is pure conjecture. We’ll never know exactly how it went unless we hear it straight from Harden Morey or Tilman themselves. What we do know for sure is that Butler didn’t even give us a meeting.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

and i've said I have yet to see wb get the hate the cp3 clowns have been saying about him since the trade.

what conjecture? huh? its widely known butler was being recruited by harden. and wb wasn't available until pg13 left him. those aren't conjectures. those were actually reported and confirmed

#63 YOLO, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Can you idiots actually live in the real world for one second.

Nobody in their right damn mind is sacrificing tens of millions just to save Tilman some extra money.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  5. tmoney1101

Reported yes, confirmed nah.

It was also reported that WB was going to ask to be traded before he even knew PG was gone. How do we know harden didn’t prefer WB over Butler or if Moreys original play was to bring in all three? If we were going to move ego and cap to accommodate a butler sign and trade, then move cp plus picks to Okc for WB? We don’t know and never will until one of the key players retires and spills the beans.

Conjecture is forming a conclusion based on incomplete information, which is all we have as fans. We don’t ever get the full picture and either does the media.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Now this is conjecture. Perfect example of what I said earlier and cf’s constantly making up things left and right

7. tmoney1101

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm not attacking him, taking shots, or bashing cp3. I loved him when he was a Rox but he isn't anymore so eh... I don't think it's necessary to laud him with an ode. Like I said, I won't read stuff like so Iko loses me in the audience. An ode?!?! Are you serious?!?! An ODE... did this fool (Iko) actually rhyme this ****?!? Was he planning on signing it as you do with most odes?

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

And you would be right. I HATED Brody and now I LOVE him. Why?, because he is a Rox now. The Rox and their players, all I will ever care about.

D-rock, Blurr#7 and tmoney1101 like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Well lets not pretend that CP3 doesn't have his blame for being known as guy that many locker rooms get tired of. CP3 was and is right, that we needed more off ball movement from Harden.

Best of luck CP3. Wish we had gotten you earlier in your career and hope you have success (except against the Roxs).

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I don't think it's bout' saving Tillman money. I think its about winning a championship.

If there were no Tom Brady's in the world I don't think we would be so butt-hurt about the contract. But there are at least a few star players who have taken below their market value to put together a championship caliber team. Aside from Tom Brady (GOAT) GSW comes to mind.

I also, for one, am someone who looks at the little per ounce prices at my local HEB. I want value. Charmin Ultra Soft is not worth the extra .10 cents an ounce. I'll take Angel Soft thank you and my wife can't tell the difference in the Pepsi challenge. HEB brand "nacho cheese triangles" are as good as Doritos at 30% less. I want value.

If CP3 had taken $10M less I would feel differently about all of it I think. But $~40M a year? Girlfriend please. He's the 3rd highest paid NBA player this year. I mean. Girlfriend please.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Isn't it also true that CP3 always let management know when he wanted out so that they could at least net some assets instead of letting him walk free? It's what he did for New Orleans and the Clippers right? Didn't that cost him a chunk of money each time too?

Shrugs, even if not true, that 17-18 rockets team was the best year of Rockets basketball I've watched (was too young to really appreciate the championship teams). We were as near impossible to beat as any Rockets team I've ever seen. And CP was a legit star that year. That game 4 comeback win, especially that 2nd quarter, was some of the best overall basketball i'd seen, and possibly even harden's most complete game ever. And to watch him and cp do it together made me believe that we were actually good enough to pull it off and beat the KD-era warriors.

14. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Also kills me that the seeding for this year's playoffs really killed us too (harden missing that ft & PG hitting the three on a bum shoulder, every other team winning close or OT games to put us in 4th). I really don't think the raptors were a superior team to us (didn't we dominate them in the regular season)? ... If only we played the warriors one round later, I really don't see a KD-less warriors team beating us more than twice.

HP3 likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A great read and ultimately depressing, Mikol, at least for me. That has nothing to do with what we got from the Thunder for Chris Paul, and everything to do with what we lost. More than some here realize, in my opinion. I wish Chris well. Just not when we play against him.

16. tmoney1101

Haha ok.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

CP3 is probably a very good person outside of basketball, especially judging from this article. I do sincerely hope that there’s no love lost between the team and CP3 and even Harden and CP3. The guy did wonderful work and you have to respect that.

As a basketball player CP3 is very smart and crafty. Remember how he toyed with that big of the Lakers among others? He held Harden accountable for sure and did wonders in his first year. CP3 was also telling guys what they could do differently after a missed opportunity. He wanted to dictate how we played and was probably very right. Unfortunately it just didn’t work.

I am not sure if that tossing the ball when Shump was shooting was a joke or a sincere attempt at keeping a guy on his toes and CP3 ‘s way of being competitive. If it’s the latter then I can see why he would rub the people the wrong way, especially when his play couldn’t back it up.

I had a teammate who in some ways was very similar to CP3 in terms of always coming over to ‘correct’ you or show you what he felt was right. While I appreciated the gesture and knowledge sharing, there was something smug about how he did it, he was clearly compensating for something and he wasn’t good enough to be that guy.

For example, he had a very odd way of shooting where he released it just after the highest jumping point to on his way down with a slight fade and his back stiffened. Then you’re not going to accept criticism about your own shot. It’s ego, but that’s just how I felt.

Now CP3 had of course the skills and pedigree to get away with criticism of other players, especially because I think he genuinely wanted everyone to be the best they can be. Still, in different stories of players who played with him they’d say he just wouldn’t stop and I can understand Harden being fed up with it.

Didn’t Harden reportedly say “There’s always something with you”? In any case, while both sides were right, we needed to mix it up and this is where I tend to lean towards CP3 being right and this being an indictment on Harden, but mainly MDA. Coach should’ve tried to accommodate that. Harden’s ego was probably too big at that point though.

CP3 last year was not the player he once was and I sincerely hope neither him nor Harden were being petty on the court. That Harden took himself out of the play to see if CP3 could do it or that CP3 was so hesitant in the playoffs to see if it would trigger Harden. I can see that being part of it if reports are true that Harden didn’t want to play differently.

I will respect CP3 as a man, even with his supposed little man syndrome. The contract is what it is, he took less by forcing that trade and wanted to come here. He’s also partly responsible as a union head to get players max money so why not profit of that himself?

I will also respect him as a Rocket since we were not to be denied until that hamstring. Damn you injuries! In the end, the Rockets traded him for a guy Harden wanted on a similar contract who is more durable, which is understandable. So again, I hope there’s no bad blood and wish CP3 the best.

#77 JW86, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    joshuaao, backwardhead and hakeem94 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Such a great read.

D-rock likes this.
  19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Everyone's fandom and the reason why they root for certain players or team are all perfectly fine in my book, since being a fan (derived from fanatic) isn't really about being reasonable.

So while I don't share your view I can appreciate it. I'm just curious, if you were around to be a fan of Hakeem and if so, did your fandom o Hakeem changed once he was traded to the Raptors.

Regarding CP3, I always loved his skills and BBIQ as a player, but at the same time wasn't a fan of his on court personality. He seemed like a great guy in real life but also a grating personality at work.

CP3 is one of the greatest point guards ever (top-5) and though he's not what he once was, I really think he'll still be a very good player for the next 2 years... if healthy... As an NBA fan, I'd love to see him in Miami, Lakers, Wash (with Beal) or ideally but impossible (some crazy unrealistic buyout) Bucks/Sixers.

BeBreezy likes this.
  20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Great read. That Shump thing is some assclown **** though. But it's pretty funny if you're not Shumpert.

Rooting for CP3 except when he plays us. Always has been and will be one of my favorite players.

CP3's off the court impact should be remembered fondly here if you're a Houstonian, regardless of how you feel about him now.

LeoUnot likes this.