1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Locked on Rockets] Matt Moore with Ben Dubose on the Westbrook fit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 15, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a great listen.

Our very own @The Cat interviews Matt Moore of The Action Network. Moore is one of the best analytical guys on the game in my opinion (and no we don't know each other he actually blocked me on twitter lol). He gives a lot of good in depth information about Westbrook's game. Would highly encourage everyone to listen.

2. justtxyank

Some key takeaways:
    -Pairing can work, can also blow up
    -westbrook just had the worst shooting season of any star player EVER.
    -Westbrook's defense was really good in 16, fell off hard, was good again last year. It's all about effort for him. Gets lost off the ball a lot. Andre Igoudala told him (Matt) that it really is simply about effort most of the time for most players. They just have to want to work.
    -His injury last year really impacted his shooting. There was a study done that showed that players coming off knee scopes suffer serious hits to their shooting percentages for 14 months. Thinks he can get back to the 34% range.
    -Biggest problem with Westbrook is that even when things are running perfectly, like they would at times in OKC, he decided to go for the big shot, the hero shot "the kill shot" and just kills his team. He can be playing the system perfectly and then just slide back and ruin it.
    -Players love DAntoni. Was shocked that Wilson Chandler didn't sign here because of how much he talks about loving D'Antoni. Can that unleash more in Westbrook? Imagine Westbrook with MORE confidence? Could also make him sloppy(er) which would be a disaster.
    -Believes Westbrook has it in him to be a good catch and shoot 3 point shooter if he wants to embrace that role
    -Not clear that Westbrook CAN play off the ball. Had a coach tell him that this isn't Westbrook making a choice, it's just who he is. Doesn't know how to play and move without the ball.
    -Westbrook can hurt you by trying too hard, especially when he has a vendetta. Said a series against the Clippers would be terrible for us because Westbrook would decide he needs to prove he was better than Bev and go at him non stop. Said this is why OKC couldn't beat the Jazz, because of westbrook's determination to upstage Rubio.
    -Westbrook is perfect for "Moreyball." All he wants to do is dunk on you and shoot over you.
    -Not sure he can be talked into stopping his two dribble jump shot and it's the worst offensive move in his repertoire.
    -Took the over on this pairing (meaning he likes it)

#2 justtxyank, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

How Westbrook fits into our team will be the major talking point for the next 3-4 months. And we’ll get zero new actual information during that time to further color our speculations. Good luck!

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Listened to it last night. I liked how Moore ended it with: "I'm taking the over on this one." (with regards to the Westbrook and Harden version of the Rockets)

5. amaru

amaru Member

Well at least writers will be able to get clicks and pay bills lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Matt Moore is a garbage guy who always thinks he's right, and will be a condescending prick to anyone who he believes has a bad opinion. Dude is awful. His opinions are good mostly, but he's just real smug about everything.

harold bingo, Deuce and Highlyrated like this.
  7. TimV

TimV Member

He had another knee scope this May.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

People are worried about the offense. It will be fine

Defense is the question mark

hakeem94, D-rock and Highlyrated like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

If Russell Westbrook shoots 34% from the three point line, the Rockets likely won this trade.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Russell Westbrook shoots 34% from the three point line, we shall eulogize all those Clutchfans no longer with us, who threw themselves off a cliff into the churning sea only to be eaten by crabs and fish.....they should've held on, just a little longer.

11. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

So he blocked you on twitter? Hahaha

TheRealAllpro and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

People are overthinking this pairing ,it is going to work.

dmoneybangbang, mario_v and topfive like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like CP3, MDA still say it (offense) will work if stars want it to work. They will figure it out.

"They have ro rebuild the offense" is gross overreaction.

Just like media did when Paul was traded to HOU.

Defense is the real question mark.

Mr. Clutch and mario_v like this.
  14. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

which was his post all star 3P% in the past season.

It's interesting that his post-all star catch and shoot 3P% is almost always better than the early-mid season games.

Season Pre-Allstar Post-Allstar Playoff Post-Allstar + Playoff
    18-19 27% 38% 39% 38%
    17-18 32% 39% 36% 37%
    16-17 33% 38% 23% 33%
    15-16 31% 38% 40% 39%

TheRealAllpro, D-rock and rockbox like this.
  15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I got Matt to unblock @justtxyank last night, so everything is good now. Ha

(It was mostly a misunderstanding.)

16. justtxyank

I only say that to make it clear I'm not stanning for him because I like him. Like I'm a HUGE fan of @The Cat so my opinion on his podcats can be biased I'm sure.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Hes one of the most posiitive people and rockets fans i ever met, very smart and logical!

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Accurate, tbh. I follow him for his *good takes* but his attitude at times is awful.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Very cool.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

From a May 7 article on ESPN.com:
    Hopefully it won't affect him as much this year. Last year's surgery (also a "maintenance" scope) was in mid-September, and he was playing again by the first week of the season. This time he can take a more cautious approach (assuming Russ can actually do anything with caution).

I wonder if the study that produced that 14-month number took into account the different types of arthroscopic knee surgeries, or just lumped them all together?

#20 topfive, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Invisible Fan likes this.