1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Welp, Hardheads about to run his 3rd star out of town. It will be fun to watch though.

2. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

So has anyone dug up old posts here from when Westbrook beat out Harden for MVP to see which fans who hated him and thought he was awful and overrated a couple years ago suddenly think he's the missing piece to a title team today??

hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article232568002.html

Less than a day after acquiring Chris Paul from Houston, Oklahoma City is trying to trade him to the Heat, according to an ESPN report. A league source told The Miami Herald that the Heat will listen and do due diligence on the matter but that the Heat does not have strong interest and is not aggressively pursuing a trade for Paul at this time.

Miami would need to be absolutely overwhelmed to consider taking on the final three years and $124 million of Paul’s contract, considering the veteran point guard’s age (34) and lack of durability.

Paul has missed 21, 24 and 24 games the past three seasons, and as ESPN’s Dan Le Batard noted, the Heat entered the offseason hesitant to commit big money to aging stars.

For Miami to consider this, OKC would need not only to take back only unappealing contracts but would need to offer other significant concessions. One could be the Thunder returning Miami’s 2021 and 2023 first-round picks -- selections that OKC acquired from the Clippers in last week’s Paul George trade. But there’s no indication that OKC would consider that because they have made obtaining first-round picks a priority in its rebuilding plan.

OKC “will try to find a way to get a deal done with the Heat,” ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Friday morning. “Miami is the focus right now. [OKC] would like to try to get that deal done as soon as they can. Miami is at the top of the list. I was told other teams too that will be discussed… The market for Chris Paul is going to be small. Their hope is he doesn’t play one game in a Thunder uniform.”

The Heat and Thunder could not agree to terms on a trade for eight-time All-Star Russell Westbrook because of multiple reasons, including the Heat’s refusal to trade Tyler Herro or two among Herro, Bam Adebayo and Justise Winslow, according to league sources.

But acquiring Paul - and keeping him all three seasons - would mean Miami would not have cap space to sign a max free agent in 2021. That’s one reason why Miami is lukewarm on Paul.

Meanwhile, even though the Heat has displayed strong interest in trading for Washington guard Bradley Beal, Wizards vice president/basketball operations Tommy Sheppard told The Athletic that Washington has given no thought to trading Beal.

“Not at all,” Sheppard said. “It’s never crossed our mind. Bradley is somebody we’re building around. He’s been involved with everything we’re doing in the draft, free agency. We need his opinion. We want this team to be a reflection of what he is all about.”

According to sources, there is sentiment inside the the Heat to take the final four years and $171 million of injured point guard John Wall’s contract if it would allow Miami to land Beal, who is eligible for free agency in the summer of 2021. But Washington appears unwilling to do that at this time.

“When John was healthy he was one of the top players in the NBA hands down,” Sheppard said. “He’ll be healthy again.”

4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Lol I hate that you knew this. Maybe next time you can get fired up on a good player like Justise Winslow.

hakeem94 and bilaal14 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

(How did this deal come together last night?) Two very motivated parties - Thunder, Westbrook - both wanted a deal done in short order. Because the market was limited (Houston, Miami - two teams he was open to going to), he really wanted the Rockets & Sam Presti was able to push Houston to get those picks and get a deal done. Westbrook & Harden back together again, this time in Houston.

(Where do things stand with Chris Paul/OKC?) They're trying to make this a similar scenario. They'd like to get a deal done quickly & move Chris Paul on to another destination. That has them dealing with Miami. They'd like to find a pathway to a deal. There's not a lot of combinations to be creative with a deal. There's some hope they can find a way to get Chris in a Miami uniform sooner than later. He has no interest in playing in OKC. They want to turn this team over to SGA. Chris would like to join Butler in Miami & they're trying to get a deal done soon.

Invisible Fan and Vivi like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That part is absolutely nuts , I cant believe Presti took that protection without carrying over to future years.

Morey strikes again.

hakeem94, Deuce, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

To acquire Westbrook and their two seasons with Paul, the Rockets surrendered Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell, Pat Beverley, Sam Decker, three first-round picks, and the right to switch places in two other drafts.

D-rock, IvanLCPM and Vivi like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Windhorst:

(How did this get done?) From what I'm told, the moment Paul George was moved, Harden & Westbrook were in constant communication, applying pressure to their teams to get it done. This wasn't easy. Harden has been on his worldwide Adidas tour. Harden pressed very, very hard not only to get his childhood friend Russell Westbrook but to make a parting of ways with Chris Paul.

(How quickly might we see deal get done with Chris Paul?) It could happen soon but the Thunder have communicated to teams they're in no rush. They're taking a long view approach, they're in the beginning of a rebuild & won't feel pressured to move Chris Paul. That is basically them taking a position that they don't feel the need to attach picks to move off his contract. They believe they can get under the LT with a separate deal. Let the negotiating & posturing begin.

Vivi likes this.
  10. RocketRoller

RocketRoller Member

I just now found out about the trade and promptly barfed.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The comparison is idiotic.

Its like comparing Miami to the Knicks and the Hornets. Of course Russ will also pick the Heat.

The Pistons are in a mess, with or without Pat Riley, the Heat will struggle to make the playoff, and think about it, they just sign a guy to go there just because the guy wanted to be the man and not because he want to win a ring.

Comparing these 2 destinations to the Rockets is a joke, an insult.

Russ is getting paid no matter where he will go, only idiot will pick the other 2 options.

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I always think Royce Young is a terrible reporter but I do agree on one thing he said yesterday on ESPN.

OKC will build a statue in front of their arena soon and its 100% should be Russ.

Hate him for whatever reasons you want to, he is the true Thunder.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

I see more media liking the trade than not.

Hakeemtheking and DreamShook like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Charles Barkley:

I was a little shocked. I was surprised. Most thought he was going to Miami. 2-3 years ago, I suggested Westbrook switch to the two. I think that's the only way this can work. He has to buy into being a two guard and not point guard because the ball will be in James' hands a lot. If Russ would dedicate himself to being the shooting guard, I think it has a chance of working but it all depends if he buys in and is a two guard.

If it does work, where does this put Houston in the West?

Wow. Let me tell you something, this has been the craziest offseason in NBA history. People talk about who the favorites and who's not, they haven't played any games. Dallas, Utah had a great summer. Obviously the Lakers & Clippers. I don't think there's a dominant team in the West. New Orleans will have a good team. There's a lot of questions about those LA teams. I think Kawhi is a stud but he can't load manage in the West. That won't work at all. There are no bad teams in the West. That's the first question I'd ask to everyone who say the Clippers are the favorites. Is Kawhi gonna miss 22 games? That won't work in the West. Can LeBron & AD stay healthy? AD has not been healthy a lot. LeBron is getting older. They won't be able to take a lot of nights off. Before people start anointing the Lakers & Clippers as the favorites, I think they need to take a step back and look at Utah, Denver. The West is loaded top to bottom.

Who might benefit from adding Chris Paul?

The Milwaukee Bucks. You have a veteran guy who I like a lot & respect as a leader but you have to accept the fact he'll be in decline. He'll have to play with some really good players so he don't have to do as much. There's some good teams out there. He has to accept he's older & can't play like he did 5-7 years ago. He has to play with a really talented team. Anytime you're a superstar, when you get older, you have to make sacrifices. He's a smart guy, great player but he'll have to be in the right situation with talented players. I think he's a great leader personally.

Best duo in the NBA?

Wow, that's a great question. If everyone is healthy, you have to go with LeBron & AD. I've said before AD is one of the five best basketball players in the world but he has to stay healthy. Him playing with LeBron will be a good thing because LeBron is a workout warrior. AD at some point will have to play all 82. That's been the biggest question mark about him.

D-rock, yixiixiy and Vivi like this.
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The more reasonable trade (CP3 out of OKC) I can see this happen is from some real contender that could have a mid season serious injury from their front court, which they would like to maintain the position to win in the playoff and also sending OKC the injured big contract (with a shorter term) plus other assets.

Portland, Bucks, Nuggets ( I think Milsap has a 30 mils one year contract?) all could be in play.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Really? I have been seeing a lot of confusion why the Rockets would do this. Then they list all the ways Russ doesn't fit into the system. A lot of shrugging and laughing.

#1437 DreamShook, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Too early bro. This isnt the same situation at all. James wasn't friends with Dwight & Cp3 when he was 10 years old.

19. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

It's true. They either like it or they're calling it a huge gamble that could payoff. Also think WB will be the PG while Harden plays more off the ball.

Hakeemtheking and DreamShook like this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It depends on where you look. I think the guys that focus more on pure statistics and analytics like Haberstroh and Duncan are a little down on the move because they're focused on Russ' numbers from previous years. The guys who are positive are more the ones who believe that both Harden and Westbrook will change their playing style to compliment one another. That's the Jalen Rose's, Nick Wright's, etc. Again, it's all about what you choose to focus on. Well, unless you're Yahoo.....then you're just blind Rockets haters no matter the circumstance.