1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I'd like to see Harden as PG and Westbrook as SG. Can't stop smiling when I think about this.

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Westbrook was the worst version of his best self last season. He seems to be an intelligent dude, but I don't think he's an intelligent basketball player. My worst fear is that he won't get back his shooting efficiency. Another fear is that there is a wink-wink extension on the table for him. If he gets his shot back, though, the Rockets as good as anyone else. Either way, he's better than Chris Paul and will be for the duration of his contract. And, I doubt we'll see Harden dogging it when Westbrook is called to run the offense.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

CP3 was probably a better fit for our team and especially MDA's philosophy, but consider that he was clearly starting to decline, injuries were going to limit his availability to play; all that was only going to get worse as he gets older, and we were tethered to him for 3 more years at $40 mil. Westbrook is a younger, better player, with more upside at this point in their respective careers. To only give up essentially two 1st rounders (likely late picks) to swap out CP3 for Westbrook is a good deal. I don't think it's an incredible deal, but i do think Morey made a good deal.

I like that we won't have to worry about any drama between two good friends. I like how we just gained 5 more rebounds a game. I like how those two players are going to combine for at least 60 a night every night. But I'm worried MDA won't be able to cater to Westbrooks strengths. Westbrook needs to take less jumpshots, not more. There's just no doubt that MDA is going to have to do some things differently to make this work.

But holy sh#t the backcourt scoring: Westbrook, Harden, Gordon, Rivers ....

4. Rocket_Man_2.0

Does Westbrook have flaws in his game? Absolutely. But CP3 with his bad hamstring is a bigger flaw!

#104 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Um,
    [​IMG]
    ... everyone can beat the Warriors now. But I know what you meant!

dcfma, don grahamleone and Kim like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

WB only got rebs cuz Adams was boxing out for him. I have no idea if WB is actually a good rebounder or not. The only thing that may be good us for is Rox always play like crap and have broken plays left and right. In those kinds of situations a loose cannon and high motor guy like WB thrives a lot I can imagine scenarios like Tucker wrestling with the opponent and WB coming away with the reb and putback dunk.

Also defensive rebs almost always go to the home team what you want are offensive rebs as those are the ones that generate extra possessions.

ArtV and Gray_Jay like this.
  8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

But did we though? (Insert the Thor.gif if you want.) I thought Russ---as great a rebounder as the stats show---didn't necessarily manufacture any more rebounds for his team, but rather grabbed rebounds his team would've anyway. If I'm wrong, and I probably am, point me to where I can check how I'm wrong.

I agree with you that the backcourt scoring is going to be ridiculous. Which is why I don't think this is the last preseason trade. My kingdom (and Gordon or whoever's contract) for a rebounding 4!

Aruba77 likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Of course, not getting defensive rebounds allows the opponent the extra possessions...

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

My like is insufficient for how much I like this post.

I will ask if certain players can tilt the rebounding percentage in their favor. E.g., assume the defense gets 85 percent of all rebounds. (No idea if this is even close.) Do good rebounders tilt that to 90? Or more? Is Russ a 'good' rebounder?

11. jowman

jowman Member

Don’t hate it. Cp3 wasn’t that good this year and don’t expect him to be better in 2020. WB is a bad fit though if his shooting doesn’t improve even a little

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not sure how this affects our reg season win total. but in the postseason, i don't like it at all. WB is a low-IQ player who always finds a way to F things up. even if he were to regain his FT shooting form and cut down on the dumbass pullup J's, i still don't have confidence in him. both he and james are turnover prone and take a lot of defensive plays off. tilman got his buzz for the franchise but i don't see any better chance at a title.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

at the very least rus should play 10 more games this season than Paul. rus is also ok with the iso style and Paul wasn't buying in last year. yes rus has his faults but we still got better.

we went from 53 wins to adding a full season of rivers, house, and a defensive coach, and upgrading Paul to a legit second star who will play at least 10 more games. I have to think we're a 60 win team as is. I'm sure we can land a ring chaser or two now as well. Livingston, Noah, chandler, etc...

and we may not be not done yet.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Hell yeah, tf kind of question is that? And I didn’t even like Russ until today.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Can westbrick and pot belly sloth outscore pg 13 and kawai in a 7 game series? Or will the both have a melt down.

Westbrick busting traps don’t matter if he still throwing up bricks

16. Theking

Theking Member

Where is the "**** yeah" button. All the haters can SMD. This move was money

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

NEXT QUESTION.

18. Possum

Possum Member

It’s the same way Harden gets his. We are going to be a great fast break team

19. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Great point. I really hope we get a title out of this, because once Harden/Russ are out of their prime we'll be in Nets post Garnet/Pierce area for several years.

Y2JT likes this.
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

For sure they boxed out for him, but he's definitely a great rebounding guard. He's long, attacks the glass, and had a knack for the bounce of the ball.