1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Clemons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jul 6, 2019.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Who are the 3 guys that tore up the summer league?

D-rock, REEKO_HTOWN and tinman like this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This kid is something special. We better not screw this up and let him go. He will be a star....reminds me of an Allen Iverson who just can’t finish near the basket. That is why we have top notch coaches in the NBDL. Capela sucked at first and was coached by Nick Nurse into an excellent center.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are using a brand new SL roster with unknown talents mixed in to judge a basketball system built on principles that only a few of these guys have built over time. Just because Stein and Clark know the system better than the rest, doesn’t mean they are going to look better in the system when more than half the roster is new to it. What often happens is that everyone looks like ass for a while, until the movements are drilled into the new personnel. Everyone is connected... There is a reason Chuck Hayes looked like doo doo in SL. It is organized JC ball, and it is not for everyone. Hooray, Clemons can hit 35 footers!

Try throwing 2 Princeton guys in with an entire team used to running a Flex and tell me how good they look running a Princeton. Everyone will likely look like ass, which is usually how SL teams look, winning or losing.

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's probably not an NBA quality player, especially at 5'9.

Clemons is SUPER entertaining, he's on the verge of breaking his opponent's ankle every time he has the ball, and he's hitting insanely deep 3's with ease... but If he can't drive and score, or even just drive and pass, it's going to be extremely tuff for him to get minutes. He'd essentially a 5'9 Ryan Anderson in that regard.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Except Nurse left for the Raptors in 2013 and Capela was drafted in 2014.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

3/5 of the starters have had an SL and a GLeague together, and 1 of the remaining 2 guys is Clemens who has played the best on the team. So really only 1 guy is "new" on the starting 5 how come they still suck? How long does it take for "movements" to be drilled? 1 year not enough? Wtf!

Maybe you forgot but our opponents are in the same situation, they also have rookies who are experiencing their system the first time how come their team doesnt look like ass? Thats whyI said its a good test of the system because the talent disparity isnt high, most of the players in SL are gleague material and every team is in the same situation.

Your example is so wrong, first of all Rox getguys who they think work in their system, they dont get a low post scoring big for example. They will get Princeton guys for a princeton offense andnot a flex offense. If you got a starting lineup 3/5 of which know the Princeton offense over a year and 1/5 is the best player on the team then the whole starters wont look like ass. There will be some cohesion or proof that the players are benefitting from a year of instruction and practice. Have you watched college ball? Thats the situation most college teams are in with one and dones but somehow players who have stayed show they have exp in the system. I dont see any benefit or exp showing from Adel and Clark they suck as much as the other newbies you wouldnt guess they have exp in this system if this is the first time you saw them.

So either Rox system is needlessly complex compared to other teams' systems which is more intuitive or Rox just suck picking prospects or the system can't identify which players are great in it or not or the Rox system does not provide any benefit to a players' production.

#86 roslolian, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. HstnSprtsFan101

Been watching this guy for a while thanks to being a degenerate. He was unreal at Campbell. There could definitely be something here

8. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

He’s too selfish to play in the league. Would say he’s too small but DAMN that dude is built. His IQ is what he needs to work on

9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans 2019 in a nutshell. :D

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. tc0330

tc0330 Member

ant mannnnn. dude is growing on me.

D-rock likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you really questioning our offensive system and team philosophy based on Summer League Basketball for the duration of 2-3 games? o_O

If you can’t understand why that doesn’t make any sense, I just don’t know what to tell you dude. I’d love to see you bring that to a coaches meeting. Jesus Christ.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

No it is based on a year of SL and GLeague play, 2 if you consider Hartenstein who started playing for RGV in 2017.

It is pretty clear to me you had no idea 3 of our starters were from RGV thats why you keep pretending every single dude is playing for the Rox for the first time, you've been repeating the same thing over and over again. I honestly dont know what to tell you dude. Jesus Christ.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The only role I can see him getting is the goon off the bench role. Limited defensive potential.

And they were high on Ponds who did not play that well in Summer league.

And you signed Austin and Gerald already.....I dun see him getting much PT.

14. rockets13champs

When life gives you Clemons you make clemonade

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What time is it for Htown? It's Clemontine! hold it dinnnne! The fruits of that man's labor, I tell you.

Quick, less come up with all the super corny puns before Bull does.

rockets13champs likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too short.

DD

True Rocket likes this.
  17. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

o_O

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He sure can shoot. He would fit well in a drive, kick out style like what Wussah would bring.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Again I'll ask, who were the 3 guys that tore up SL lasts year? Hartenstein averaged 10 pts/game and Clark didn't play.

Nick Nurse left the Vipers in July of 2013.

I think you were trying to say that several of these players played for the Vipers and that they won the G-Leage. Was that your point?

So, the system obviously worked in the G-League and in the NBA it was good enough to be the #1 seed in the last playoffs and get within a game of the finals. That looks like it works to me and that's the levels that we need to succeed at.

The summer team just doesn't have many scorers. Hartenstein and Clemons are the only two who are scoring consistently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Rockets summer league team has 4 players on the roster who played with RGV last season (I'm not counting Chiozza's 4 game stint).

Hartenstein obviously played a lot for RGV. He's done well in summer league averaging 16pts 8.7 rebs in 24 min.

Clark only played 7 regular season games with RGV last year and averaged 12pts/game in those games. Clark only played 3 playoff games with the Vipers last year, starting 1 game and averaging 2.7 pts/game in 13.7 min/game. He wasn't a big part of the Vipers regular season or playoffs.

Edwards played 31 regular season games with RGV last season and averaged 9.7pts/game. Edwards played 5 playoff games for RGV, averaging 7.6 pts in 26.0 min/game. Edwards has played 12 total minutes (4 - 0 - 8) in the summer league so far.

Duvall - I'll include him but he really didn't play much with RGV and hasn't played much in the summer. Duval didn't play any regular season games with the Vipers but he did play 2 playoff games. He averaged 3.0 pts in 8.5 min/game in those two playoff games. He has played a total of 13 minutes ( 10 - 3 - 0) total this summer.

The summer league team has started Adel, Clark, Hartenstein and Clemons every game. Chiozza started 2 and McDowell-White 1. That's a second round pick and the rest were undrafted?

The only other guy that is getting over 10 minutes/game is Ponds.

That's not a very offensively skilled lineup. Clark and Hartenstein are the only two Viper players to really play and Clark only played 10 total games with the Vipers last year.

Our summer team doesn't have that much to do with the Viper's team that won the G-League last year other than Hartenstein.

Putting a team together for the summer league doesn't validate or invalidate a system. No matter what the system, you still need talent to execute the system. Toronto finished 27th in summer league last year. Should that have invalidated their system?

xaos, biff17, kubli9 and 5 others like this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Long shot he makes the team over Chiozza but I’ll welcome him in camp