1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 5, 2019.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We all knew after the play that Jake was going to have talking heads going after him. It's been nonstop from what I've seen. My only issue is we have a few Houston media guys that have a platform and sometimes they need to learn how to chill when stuff like this happens. They make our fan base look so petty.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Who are these people?

Not in Houston, so I don't know.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It’s called baseball. Jake has nothing to apologize for.

World of p*****s out there now.

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll PM ya. I don't want to cause an issue on the board with dropping names. I don't have an issue with passionate fans and both guys bring a lot of value when it comes to Houston sports but they tend to take it too far. You point it out to them and they get real sensitive.

5. Buck Turgidson

I got in big trouble back in the day dropping names, my buddy at ABC13 got all kinds of pissed, then I reminded him that I didn't actually know any last names, or first names even, and I bought him a pitcher at Kay's and beat him at Golden Tee, and it was all good.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm not a baseball or Astros fan, but I did just watch the replay of the hit and I want my hot take to be heard, dammit.

In slow motion, you can see the Marisnick take a big step to his right as he nears home, at that moment Lucroy moves forward to make the catch, Marisnick sees this movement and guesses (incorrectly) that Lucroy's momentum in making the catch will carry him to Marisnick's right (where he had just stepped toward). Marisnick then pushes off his right foot in an attempt to go left towards the inside of the plate, but he guessed wrong, and Lucroy's momentum not only didn't carry him to the outside of the plate, he actually moves toward the inside of the plate as well. Marisnick, with less than a milisecond to react, instinctively braces for impact by turning his head back and tucking his shoulder. Bam.

I don't think Marisnick intended it to end up like that at all. He made a split second decision and it was the wrong one. However, I also understand that, on principle of protecting catchers, you may have to suspend Marisnick so that the next time a more obvious wrongful act does happen people won't go "but what about Marisnick!"

Sucky situation all around. Poor Lucroy.

(See yall again the next time something nationally interesting happens with the Astros <3)

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I wouldnt blame the MLB at all for a suspension. Lucroy gave Marisnick the outside the whole time. There was no reason for Jake to go inside. I know that it was a "split second decision" but he made a really bad one that is hard to justify.

And considering Lucroy ended up with a concussion the same exact day Cervelli said he can't play catcher anymore because of concussions... MLB pretty much has to take action.

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

MLB needs to start calling runners safe when plates (2nd base as well) are blocked before balls are received.

No Worries likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

Lucroy has a concussion and a broken nose from his collision with Jake. That's really awful, and I hope he fully recovers. Jake should still not be suspended.

---

However, the Jake Marisnick witch hunt continues. Ausmus immediately said it was dirty and the league should look at suspension. F*** Ausmus. I don't care if he's defending his team. I wish his best friend Bagwell had been in the booth that day instead of Berkman, even though I liked Lance's thoughts as well. Baggie's assessment would have been raw and illuminating and in complete opposition to Ausmus. No way in hell former catcher A.J. Hinch would go shooting his mouth off like this. Hinch is too wise.

Yadier Molina's going apeshit on social media calling for Jake's head. Apparently, he made an Instagram post that, of course, was later deleted. I've yet to find a place that's posted a screencap original post; bunch of p*****s or internet newbies out there. Apparently, though, Molina said:

“Verified Bulls--t!! MLB need to take action on this Bulls--t play! F--k! Praying for Lucroy! slide slide slide f--kkk !!!”

And he's been cussing out and disparaging any Astros that subsequently defend Jake on social media. F*** him, too. What an idiot. Other expected idiots like Deadspin also are on the suspension train.

From what I've seen, Jake's tried to explain exactly what we all here already immediately surmised--that it was a split-second decision that went wrong--and shown nothing but care and concern towards Lucroy.

If the league suspends him, it's going to open a whole can of worms that's going to severely gimp runners trying to score on close plays. And runners already have problems; again, I refer to Yuli having to shove his hand under a catcher to touch the plate in a game a few weeks ago. (The play where the catcher dropped the ball and forgot to tag our runner before he held the ball back up.)

Here's hoping Lucroy heals up well, and sanity about this whole situation prevails.