1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You guys find this new NBA entertaining?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LosPollosHermanos, Jul 6, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Forget the battles on the court, right after the game a player from the other team may slip into the showers and convince the opposing star player to join him. Forget who's playing who, its all about whose hanging out with who and contemplating forming a team next season.

And you know, despite committing to a team and thus getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars they hold the teams and fans hostage. If you don't intend to honor your ****ing contract then don't sign it. Something needs to be done, this is starting to feel too much like the WWE.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nope. I’m in it for the Rockets but it’s mostly lame. Just stars flicking to big markets. Like 23 teams have zero chance

luckyman76, rusHour, Gray_Jay and 6 others like this.
  3. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

Nope
    I think they need to balance east and the west. Now NBA is only 1 sided which is westside

4. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Lowkey this NBA reality show gets me sucked in every year. Deep down I love it

5. ballgame

ballgame Member

Love a guy one minute....Hate him the next!! Look at the Raptor fans, they were happy last season and now I'm sure Kawhi is a the worst thing in the world.

THEM PLAYERS AIN'T LOYAL!

6. Coach E

Coach E Member

It’s basically WWE with all the story lines and gossip. So yes love it

da_juice and astros123 like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

One sided loyalty? Nay.

8. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

No problem with it, players should have free agency. It would be bullsh!t to be forced to play on one team entire career

The Hunted and rocketman12 like this.
  9. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I actually like this much more than the Warriors being loaded. Atleast we finally don’t know he will be in the finals. There are probably 5 teams that can make the finals in the West. Same for east. Most wide open the league has been in awhile.

10. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Love how wide open the league is this year. You could say there are like 10 teams that could win it all.
    Rockets
    Lakers
    Jazz
    Bucks
    Clippers
    Portland
    Sixers
    Golden State
    Boston
    Nuggets
    Sadly though 7 out of the 10 teams are all in the west. Which makes it less likely that the Rockets win a title.

11. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I’m okay with it. I’ve moved to different cities and countries because I thought it would be good for me and my family often times leaving behind good friends and co workers. And I don’t make nba money.

12. MD_in_Training

Nope. This new NBA is not at all interesting to me. It's basically a bunch of mercenaries going around joining up every few years roaming from city to city.
    It's ok for a spectable, but if I lived in a city that isn't "blessed" with the presence of a NBA superstar duo/trio, then why would I care at all?

rusHour, Caesar, Jake Tower and 4 others like this.
  13. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

There's simply no loyalty anymore. People just jump ship and play with their friends - while from a human perspective you can't really blame them. You want to play with people you like and who you are close to - stars or not.

From an entertainment perspective for us fans - no rivalries anymore (no matter how much the media tries to make one, there just isn't), no storied history with a player and a franchise, constant reshuffling, and ultimately theres no loyalty to a franchise which means the storyline is always fragmented.

All of this makes for a bad product in my opinion - and this is the product of the owners not taking more control and allowing this "player empowerment" movement - which has increased ratings but decreased long term interest.

Theking, Jake Tower, Gray_Jay and 7 others like this.
  14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I have no problem with free agency, but the NBA should take steps to encourage competitive balance and help teams in undesirable markets or geographic locations. It could include draft pick compensation when you lose a free agent, increasing the maximum contract value so teams can’t have more than two such players on their rosters, or adopting the NFL’s hard cap model.

The Raptors losing Kawhi Leonard immediately after winning a championship is not a good look for the league.

dchoye, Theking, da_juice and 9 others like this.
  15. MD_in_Training

Agree with this.
    However, the increased ratings is not true. NBA ratings have been anemic for awhile now.

Perhaps it's the "spectacle phenomenon." Spectacle from new superteam happens, ratings spike a bit for one year, then every subsequent year, ratings dip more and more as people tire of the spectacle. Then new superteam happens, and the same thing occurs. However, I suspect that even the spectacle phenomenon will wear out as people simply won't be excited by new teams formed by constant player movement.
    It's like a drug that needs stronger and stronger hits.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

OKC ownership was probably RELIEVED when PG asked out tbh... they had to do SOMETHING for relief. Now ownership doesn't look like the villain, PG does.

I'm cool with the new era of movement.

The Hunted and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. MD_in_Training

This cannot be overstated. A player leaving a championship city to join a big market with another superstar is truly off-putting.

18. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Need to do away with the max contract; let teams pay whatever they want for players. However, keep the salary cap the same.

Be a lot harder for stars to team up when they want to take up 65% of the salary cap.

Handles, bmelo, Jake Tower and 9 others like this.
  19. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Rockets are not in play.

CP3/Harden chemistry issue while CP3 being washed up is not a recipe of winning. Need to make a move because all these West teams just got stronger

amaru likes this.
  20. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Stars can still team up and take reduced paycuts.

20 million/year isn't even that bad for a player.

RayRay10 likes this.