1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Morey do now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 6, 2019.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Depth. We need to build quality, playable depth now.

Our starting 5 still stacks up well:

CP3 / Harden / Gordon / Tucker / Capela
    Bev / Shamet / Kawhi / PG13 / Harrell
    KCP / Green / Lebron / AD / McGee
    Curry / Thompson / Russell / Green / Looney

If our 2nd unit can win against these teams, we’ve got a shot.

yixiixiy likes this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Gordon, Shumpert, Hartenstein and multiple picks
    for
    Siakam, Ibaka, VanVleet

:eek::D

Tristan_fiore and BigShasta like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Btw Adams (i can see the Spurs go after him) and Grant (could fit here well) should also be available.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

We need to make a move for Steven Adams and a shooter.

5. pippsux

pippsux Member

Go get Bradley Beal

6. JW86

JW86 Member

Definitely try to get a deal with the Raptors, Thunder or another and see what Capela, EGO or an expiring Shump might get us. We need to go all in as our window will close fast with CP3’s fall and cannot afford to waste Harden’s prime. Just ridiculous we actually have to convince our owner and or GM of this.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  7. Rockets Rule

Rockets Rule Contributing Member

looking forward to our rookies tonight...... maybe we will strike Gold!!! (x2)

BigShasta likes this.
  8. Junebball

Junebball Member

I am sure you were around post TMac/Yao, pre Harden time. How people quickly forget this. It is really hard to get a star in this league. You want to trade MVP caliber super star for picks. No sir. Fans love picks plus young talents. The Rockets should be fine. Think this team is a tall PF away from being very good in a wide open WC. Who knows if GC & Hartenstein shows significant development, the Rockets will have a very good team.

ClutchLatina and BigShasta like this.
  9. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Do what he usually does

1. McDonald drive through
    2. Post a tweet about how great James Hardena nd Rockets are
    3. Whataburger pit stop
    4. Come on 790 or other news channels saying how confident he is with our offseason and our roster
    5. Finsih off with some DQ

mastan, RichieBanks, cheke64 and 3 others like this.
  10. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Trading for Iguodala--the strongest defensive wing option out there--suddenly becomes imperative. If we could somehow land Marcus Morris, that would be huge--he's a perfect fit here. It would be difficult, however, because we would probably need the remainder of the NT-MLE ($5.7 million) to sign him, which would subject us to a hard cap. I'm assuming Jamychal Green will be staying with the Clippers.

Beyond that... Pray.

11. jwayne

jwayne Member

Again, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. I always laugh at folks that think a player choosing a team over their team is the GM or owners fault. Nope, it’s just free will. No sense in all the crying over spilled milk.

BeBreezy likes this.
  12. ball king23

ball king23 Member

this is what we do next

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Toronto isnt going to give Siakam away, but what if you overpay for him?

Siakam's salary fits into one of our trade exceptions. Does 3 firsts and TOR taking back no salary make them think about dealing him?

Toronto's roster has some older players. They may have to think rebuild.

According to the reports, Presti was trying to leverage Toronto against the Clips to get the best deal. Presti was supposedly trying to get Toronto to take both Westbrook and PG13. Toronto wasn't willing to so maybe that signals that Toronto knows that they will have to rebuild. Of course, it could also mean that they wanted no part of Westbrook.

I'm sure Morey will explore the possibility but overpaying for a good player may be the best play.

The Kawahi move to LAC is better for the Rockets than if he'd have gone to the LAL. Both LA teams have 2 stars now but both rosters have holes. For the first time in a few years, the West is up for grabs.

Gray_Jay and Williamson like this.
  14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

On paper, a lot of teams improved but teams that have continuity are going to win. Do you trust Harden? We have a player that won't destroy the team unlike some players who hold teams hostage. The best moves are probably moves that Rockets don't make. I'm sure Morey had some deals, if there was 1 deal that would be excellent, it would be for Deandre Jordan. Patience is virtue.

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Sell the Raps on the idea of helping us to stop the Clips - Siakim and Gasol for every single thing Murray can conjure or be the first in line at Presti’s garage sale

16. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Lol @J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's what i'm saying, considering our need (we could easily slide PJ at the 3) and salary situation he might be a perfect player for us, boarderline all star, two way player, on a cheap contract...a guy like Siakam might be our best target at this point, also cause realistically, it's not like we can hope to get something better.

I think the Raptors should definitely rebuild, the East is nothing special compared to the West, but without Kawhi there's simply no way in hell they can compete with Milwaukee, Phila, Indiana and Boston. Lowry and Marc are super old, after this last season run i'm not even sure what they have left in terms of energy and motivation, both are expiring too...if i'm Masai i'm definitely going into a full rebuild, he can still get some assets by moving Lowry, Gasol, Siakam, Vanvleet, Ibaka.

Also cause i don't see what's the alternative tbh, trade Siakam, OG and multiple picks for who? Beal (assuming he's available) to pair him with Lowry and Gasol? That's not going to happen.

#77 Vivi, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  18. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think staying flexible is imperative now. Seems like that decision was made for us the moment our FO decided to split the MLE on house.

It’s debatable if this was a good decision or not. A lot of the good wings out there signed for the NTMLE. Is it preferable to invoke a hard cap for the likes of aminu and carrol and reddick while potentially losing house and shumperts asset? Who knows.

It would’ve been

1) NTMLE+ maybe BAE player

2) House shumperts rights and rest of MLE

I think shump contract would be interesting. If the rox do not resign him then they are clearly signaling that winning is not priority and they want cost savings. If shump is signed with birds rights you have to ask what teams need salary dumps. The cap sheets for most of the teams are actually looking really healthy. There is t many teams needing to dump contracts. It boils down to what can you use shumps contract on. Are there teams needing of cap or disgruntled stars.

Teams include:
    Atlanta is locking into their core and asset collecting
    Boston May need a center but don’t think they’d sacrifice anyone when they got a platoon of bigs now
    Cleveland clearly would like to reduce payroll (love is only long term contract not expiring next year)and gain assets
    Charlotte would probably like to get off MKG or Martian a year early or reduce payroll
    Chicago added salary this year. Probably not hesitant to lock into their core
    Detroit is buying talent on the fa market. Not likely they’re dumping.
    Dallas no
    Denver may want off Barton but not at this moment
    GSW lol
    LAL lol
    LAC no
    Indiana has a healthy cap sheet
    Memphis moving expiring contracts
    Miami is under apron now but could look to move waiters or Johnson for more cap the following year
    Mil no
    Manny is not spending on market and are likely to reduce cap to surround KAT
    Pelicans no
    Knicks no
    Thunder. Interesting they can either go full rebuild or have potentially enough assets to land 2 superstars. Not sure which way they go
    Magic indicating they want to compete
    Phi clean cap
    Pdx potentially cost saving but no real talent for us to go after
    Phoenix good cap sheets
    Sac clean cap
    San Antonio won’t help
    Toronto clean cap after this year. Not sure if they’re guys are worth a look. Maybe ibaka
    Utah won’t help
    Washington clearing cost. Potential disgruntled star. But I think the entire league knows that and will jump at him.

To me the teams with need of reducing cost, potential disgruntled star, and players we can look at include.

Cleveland
    Charlotte
    Detroit (no they think they’re competitive and indication from ownership is to compete. Cap cleans up next year)
    Miami (if it’s jjo or waiters)
    Minny
    Thunde (crossroads. Do they use assets to surround Westbrook and stay in tax. Or get out of tax for a year and asset collect. I think they wait 7ntil deadline to see all their options and wait for a potential disgruntled star)
    Orl ( at deadline if they’re not in playoff hunt. But unlikely with a weakened east and a very versatile defensive squad)
    Washington (likely Beal asks out privately. But every team will look to jump. We can only offer expiring and picks whereas other teams can offer that plus young prospects

Teams are much better about their cap nowadays. This leaves targets to include

Love
    MKG/Martian
    Griffin if they suck
    Jjo
    Covington/Covington+Wiggins
    Grant+Roberson
    Gordon if they suck
    Beal ( unlikely unless he asks for us)

Of that I think the only guys in play are love/MKG/Martian/jjo/Covington/grant/Roberson

I’d make a strong push to go after grant or Covington. But the rox have to not be cheap and sign shump and see if nene will come back on a 1 year higher salary so we don’t lose any core guys to gain them.

19. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

The only things he can do at this point are bring in Demarcus Cousins/Jamychal Green and possibly trade for Iggy. Unless he moves Gordon or Capela for some big named star that no one is talking about that is i.e Kevin Love

20. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

I can tell you only follow basketball through social media. You clearly have no clue what the guy looks like.

Tristan_fiore likes this.