1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith: "Harden and Butler have been communicating"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm just trying to understand what leverage we would have to get Butler via sign and trade because it's not like we can sign him outright.

GotGame15 likes this.
  2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

All he needs is one team with cap room (and it doesn't have to be Houston) to use as a threat. This isn't a new strategy. If Philly believes Butler is headed to the Lakers or Clippers while they get nothing back in return, I'm pretty confident they'd prefer Eric Gordon than losing him for zero compensation. Because assuming they keep Tobias (and they gave up a lot of assets for him), they wouldn't even have much cap room of their own.

The Rockets stayed above the cap while trading for Chris Paul two years ago under a very similar arrangement.

With that said, I do agree that Butler is a longshot. Not only can Philly offer the most money, but it's also a really good team. So I tend to believe that he'll ultimately stay. But there's absolutely a very real path for him to get here -- it just depends what he wants to do.

Deuce, seeingred and Aruba77 like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I THINK THAT WAS SARCASM.
    Well, I certainly hope it was. :)

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

the leverage is that the Mavs, Nets, Clippers and Knicks and more can offer him a full max and he walks for nothing.

Aruba77 likes this.
  5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Based on what? We won the most games in franchise history and took the most talented team ever assembled to 7. If by “cannot work” you mean
    CP3 is always either be hurt or underperform, then yes. I agree.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He meant the communication and synergy between those 2 could have been worlds better but hell yeah, the first year wasn't bad at all.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Related to nothing -- if I took a shot every time I heard/read this phrase, I'd be dead.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

thanks for clearing that up.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess a roster of

Beverley
    Harden
    Butler
    Tucker
    Capela or 3pt shooting 5.

6th man Gordon/Midlevel player

is better than CP3, Harden and Butler. Butler can create in the 4th Q just as he did with Philly.

You have 3 enforcers in Beverley, Tucker and Butler to surround Harden with.

And you could flip Capela for a 3 pt shooting 5.

Too bad CP3 cannot be moved.

'3-4 Egos is one too much.'

#149 daywalker02, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    JW86 likes this.
  10. Blurr#7

But is false? Perspective is hard for some people to understand.

11. Blurr#7

Which is my point that It has worked. CP3 b****ing is like showing up the last day of a group project and complaining when you didn’t do crap.
    Now in reality I hope this was a bad year for Chris, fact is we need both guys to be in contention and that hasn’t changed.

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

With Butler, I don't think that's the right perspective. The issue is whether he likes it in Philly and feels like he is duly appreciated.

I don't know the answer to either of those.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It's not false. I'm just tired of hearing the phrase.

14. Blurr#7

I feel you, but sadly that's the NBA world we live in now. Thanks Lebron.
    What get's me if the unrealistic expectations of fans. I go into the most seasons hope full we can win and believing in our team 100% but also have a full understanding of how hard it is to win a championship in any competitive sport. Now throw in all the injuries and players not playing to their level and your margin for error is nothing. Teams like the Warriors and Raptors have enough talent to overcome that. We don't have that luxury.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

When is the deadline for him to make a decision? Horford already made his.

16. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

You would only be dead if those shots were long twos. No one round here would kill you if they were 3s or layups:)

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

He already made a decision to opt out ("barring unforeseen circumstances") ;) but June 29

18. amaru

amaru Member

If Smith is saying Butler to Houston might happen then it definitely isn’t. Smith is popular because he’s loud and entertaining, not because he’s smart and accurate.

19. amaru

amaru Member

Probably because Paul is making fun of his moobs.