1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It would have been nice to get Tucker up now to get to see him play some before trade deadline. That said, he was making contact often and making hard contact often. He likely didn't need to change much to be a lot better last year. I know Astros have worked on him shortening up his swing to help him on inside heat. All he needs to do is elevate ball a little, which he does well in AAA. This is a skill that usually translates well.

2. Buck Turgidson

Older (eta: mentally and physically), more experienced, seen more MLB level breaking stuff and control at AAA vs last year.

Look up what Berkman did his first go-round. Or Bregman. Or Trout. Or any number of others. It's a huge adjustment.

#342 Buck Turgidson, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. CinematicFusion

I like the thought. You are correct... Bauer and Cole hate each other going back to college.

4. Buck Turgidson

Missed this earlier, wow, that's one hell of a mid-season trade.

The largest in MLB history was a 17-player deal in 1954 that took a couple of weeks to complete, so you might want to go for the gusto and add in some A-ballers and PTBNLs

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Bauer and Cole on the same team......recipe for disaster.

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Idk but man it would be awesome to land Scherzer. I don't see that happening but I have to think that makes Houston the favorites to win it all. Dodgers look great too

University Blue likes this.
  7. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

I want Scherzer. But I’ll settle for Stroman. Greinke wouldn’t be a bad get either. Any of those three would guarantee unstoppability.

8. Jeremy Williams

Tucker's service time (Super 2) doesn't pass until July 27ish. He won't be called up until that time.

9. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Isn’t Bregman still in his first go-round?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Astros weren't so stacked in the OF, I doubt they would wait out to get an extra year twice and get out of Super 2 twice. Sucks for Tucker.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure it sucks, but he also really **** the bed last year with his chance, and there isn’t a spot for him right now. You can argue one should be made for him I guess, but that’s mean losing a quality big leaguer off the roster so for now he can wait.

12. Buck Turgidson

In case it wasn't obvious, I was talking about his first month plus, or 40 ABs or whatever it was that he totally sucked for the duration of.

#352 Buck Turgidson, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    mikol13 and Hemo_jr like this.
  13. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Scherzer would be great, but I doubt the Nats ownership sells him. And he would cut back the team’s financial flexibility. Would probably rather use the money to extend Cole. Or Springer or Correa.

Boyd might be a better target. I think the break out is real. He’s also cheap and has .3+ years of control. Being left handed is also a bonus. I would do it if it cost less than a tucker or whitley-led package.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros first priority is improving World Series Odds. If that means losing a quality MLB player, so be it. I'm only saying that Super 2 isn't likely the reason Tucker isn't up. I think it is more with uncertainty. Astros aren't certain Tucker is an improvement, and Tucker is the one with options. No reason to do anything drastic at the moment.

15. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I look at it like this. If we trade for a pitcher, would I be willing to bet $1,000 straight up that this pitcher will be better than Brad peacock the rest of the way?
    If my answer is no then I would rather not make the trade. The only guy that really holds true for in my opinion is Max scherzer.
    Marcus Stroman is not decidedly better than Brad peacock.
    Syndergaard is falling into Chris Archer territory. A disaster trade waiting to happen based off results from years ago.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

You trade Reddick and Tucker bombs out....then what?

17. AstrosRockets1818

Such some fine print rules out there. I enjoy reading about them! Just to clarify... what current Astros meet Super 2 status? Like I get you get to start arbitration a year early. That’s why we held out Correa and Alvarez until June.
    Is Springer?
    Obviously Bregman would have been, but we already signed him to a mega.
    Kemp?
    Jake?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Only Springer was super 2. If you get called up early, stick and become a great player.

Kemp and Jake aren't good enough for it to really matter.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not the end of the world. Marisnick, Kemp, Straw, Fisher, Ferguson, McCormick, White (since Brantley and Alvarez can play OF), Diaz, Reed, Rojas...there’s plenty of big league ready prospects who can be given a shot if Tucker totally flops over 200+ PA.

20. AstrosRockets1818

Kemp and Jake because they have been optioned back in forth so many times the don’t qualify ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.