1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden disinterested and at half court when Chris ran the offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, May 25, 2019.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I will say many posters have some misinformed preconceptions... as you know I myself have had views on occasion that were proven to be mistaken...
    by the same token, i think many times people draw on stats and analytics as a way of justifying something without considering other ramifications of those actions...
    such as Isoing 22%.... so nearly a 4th of the time on defense 3 or 4 out of 5 defenders get to stand there and catch their breath - while our shooters get cold... stats are great insight but there are also ramifications...
    Layups, 3's and fouls are the most efficient - lets just do those...
    well sure, but if the defense knows they dont have to cover that middle ground you've made their job easier - perhaps making those 'better shots' harder due to more focused defense...
    Our offensive efficiency proves its right...
    Well sure we load the offensive side - at detriment to rebounding and the other end of the court...

As far as whether or not something is 'a problem'... you like to point out how close the GSW series was pointwise... things that were poopooed all season as not being 'a problem' bc we won - but could have easily swayed the series with a few points here and a couple points there.... Personally I love GG but not wild about him having the green light to chuck a 3 whenever he has the opportunity - I think we have better options - or at least get a rebounder or 2 in position...

I think you should start a thread... and I dont say that to be a smart ass... If you think everything is hunky dorey and we should stay the course - fine... if you think there are things we should address and focus on - I'd love to hear them... be proactive instead of reactive... :)

2. pass_to_Hakeem

Or..... it is true and other competitive athletes are tired of Harden’s lazy DIVA ass!!! ‍♂️

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing you never watched Jalen Rose play.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Priorities

99% finding a way to narrow the talent gap between the best
    1% everything else

Zboy likes this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You proved my point. He's padding his stats which is why he'll always be a MVP candidate (On paper). But what happens when it's time to sacrifice & put the ball in someone else's hands? All of sudden Harden's disinterested. That's the definition of selfish

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I didn't move the goalposts. I could probably go back and show you 50 posts throughout our discussions where I tell you that the championships argument is not one where we disagree. I have told you over and over that harden is going to have to get someone along side him to do what he can't: preform well in big moments of big games. to win championships. you wan't proof that he can't do that? Go watch the playoff choke jobs. there is your proof. If your whole argument is that groups of better players win championships. I've never disagreed with that. I have disagreed with your assumptions of his greatness, and there are plenty of examples to the contrary.

7. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

I agree with that 100%. We have got to have more ball movement, and James needs to play off the ball more. Move, Move and Move.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Normal playoff day at the work place.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He took ONE shot in the last 7mins of that game. He quit

So u mention him dragging the team all year, but defend him being disinterested when the offense doesn't go through him? What's the use of another playmaker if you're disinterested when he's making plays

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My favorite part is ariza

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He’s right, and it’s a legitimate criticism, but at the same time...this is on D’Antoni mostly. He has a system that allows this.

12. slpntz

slpntz Member

Harden only cares about his stats! Never gonna win a championship that way

13. slpntz

slpntz Member

This!

cheke64 and javal_lon like this.
  14. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

I disagree that the roster can't score without isolating Harden so excessively, and I think that going away from so much Harden isolation should be for the purpose of PRESERVING his energy through a series and in games themselves. Yes, it works, but it is tiring. Spotting up is not as tiring, running plays are generally not as tiring as taking so many dribbles. You can't complain as a coach and team about him being tired and then encourage and promote him playing a style that will cause him to be extra tired and to use possessions where he's off the ball to rest at half court and make it more difficult for his teammates.

Just because something works doesn't mean you shouldn't try and add to it. A team should be looking to add wrinkles to it's offense every season. Running sets in an offense is both for the benefit of the role players to get scores here and there from the plays themselves and to allow your shot creators to not always have to directly create open shots for the role players, but let the offense do it once in a while.

15. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I think the blame is more so on Harden and CP3. I saw this and hoped that they would address this midseason. Optically it looks terrible and we all assumed it was an unspoken agreement between the two that Coach allowed. I think towards the end when CP's feeling the pressure of having to iso with little success, I think it was too little too late of a gripe. Harden's equally at fault for expecting this 2018 unspoken agreement to work in 2019 postseason. With CP's game slowly but visibly aging, we must all pray that the system changes somewhat to get the most out of him and preserve his legs.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Remove HARDEN from the equation?

Which Rockets stepped up in the Golden State series?

Rocket River

Zboy likes this.
  17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If true, then you add more talent around Harden.

Curry has more talent around himself.

Durant, Klay, and Green to begin with and then Iggy.

Durant, Klay, and Green, each one of them is more talented than anyone on the Rockets team after Harden, especially after the way CP played in the series this year.

Once again, you will get more returns on your team by adding talent, than tweaking what we have.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You can make improvements on everything but you are missing the point I am trying to make.

Your best returns or most bang for your buck will be for investing on talent. We are out-talented to begin with.

That is what is going to make the biggest difference.

Improvements on the rest will be marginal.

Harden is already one of the best players in the league. It is not practical to expect him to change his game so drastically as to change the landscape of the team.

Morey needs to look at how and where he can improve the team elsewhere.

BTW, Our team as it is , can only play the way it plays to remain the second best team in the league and compete with the Warriors. We dont even have the personnel to run a fancy and clever offense. We dont have passers on this team other than Harden and CP. Gordon is a disaster when he has to make decisions with the ball and Clint and Tucker are not natural passers. And if CP decline continues, team will give him space to shoot rather than let him get everyone involved.

You cant cook chicken soup if you dont have chicken.

#138 Zboy, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

While Harden might not compare to Jordan and Hakeem, and there is no shame in that, I would easily take an offense run by Harden over offense run by Ewing.

And I say that as someone that has actually watched Ewing's career, and his three wide steps into the lane to shoot a jump hook into the lane or a fade away jumper, and not someone who looks at stats sheet and youtube videos.

If you think this Rockets offense is a **** show, clearly you have not suffered through the Knicks offense of the 90s lol

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Oh great. A list of platitudes we have never heard before.