1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WCF Is Proof that Durant Is Not Needed for Warriors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Manny Ramirez, May 20, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The real story is winning without Boogie.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Green played the last two games and they lost. Green played the entire series the prior year and they lost two of those games when LeBron was playing with bums. I'll put my $$ on LeBron being able to still get that 1 additional game.

As far as Bogut goes, he played like 12 mpg. They were also down 2-1 the prior year with him playing and they took over the series with him not playing. When LeBron had bums. You are overstating his impact.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We used Ryno as a 20million dollar excuse for a weak bench.

Credit where credit is due :rolleyes:

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You might want to check out that bum Kyrie's play and numbers from that finals series. I know you are trying to create this narrative that Lebron carried a team of bums past the Warriors, but it is far from the truth.

So if he could do it one year, why not the others?

While Bogut was not playing heavy minutes, his interior defense and rebounding was sorely missed with him gone, as predicted here...

https://fansided.com/2016/06/15/5-reasons-andrew-bogut-injury-changes-nba-finals/

Which is why Warriors went up 3-1 with him and Draymond and would have closed out the Cavs at home in game 5. Even Cavs fans will tell you they got lucky with injuries and suspension.

Ultimately, the turth is Lebron James does not have a good finals record. 3-9 overall for someone that gets touted as the King is downright pitiful.. He has had his failures even when playing with a super team in Miami. He was downright atrocious against the Mavs and cost them the Finals. He was choking against Kawhi and the Spurs until Ray Allen saved the Heat, and he lost to Spurs the other year.

Your hero has had plenty of playoff failures himself.

rocks123 likes this.
  5. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Poor Boogie. 9 years in the league and injured in his second playoff game.

6. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

They did beat us without him. Twice. They just better than us..

smp likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Russ is a better PG than lots of PGs in the league. Heck, the guy might STILL make all-nba team this year. But I'm still not taking him on my team.

The same isn't true about KD, but it does speak to overall skill vs. chemistry vs. fit, etc.

Also, best closer in basketball?? Lol.

There's no need to over-complicate it. If Draymond Green hadn't gotten suspended, that series ends differently. It's not complicated, nor is it require an asterik or anything. Just is what it is. If all of the Cavs played better than it might have ended differently, too... but then they were playing.... and often played bad throughout the series.

8. Oakland Fan

Oakland Fan Member

I think the Warriors Rockets series was the first time every single game in a playoff series was decided by 6 points or fewer. I think KD is probably the best player in the world. This was a very evenly matched series with KD playing the first 4.7 games. I had actually predicted the Rockets would win the series when KD went down, but with luck and getting favorable calls/non calls (Draymond should have fouled out) the Warriors eked out a win. Without KD playing those first two games, assuming all of the remaining players had similar games to the ones they had, I believe the Rockets would have swept.

9. Icehouse

I said LeBron took them to 6 playing with bums. Kyrie played one game that series. Love played none. I said LeBron beat them with help. Kyrie would clearly be help.

Because they added Durant in the other years.

No it wasn’t. He played minimal minutes that series and in the previous Finals he barely played when they were winning games. They were down 2-1 when he did play heavy minutes.

You are correct that LeBron’s finals record is bad.

10. Icehouse

Russ is a horrible “point guard”. He’s kind of the better stat-padders in the league.

Yes, arguably. Who is better?

There isn’t. I’m not sure why one would assume Draymond = a win in G5 when they lost with him in G6 and G7.

11. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

You don’t really believe that so you? Lol a rockets sweep of the warriors? Maybe with KD AND curry out, maybe. But no way does a curry/Thompson led team get swept.

smp likes this.
  12. likestohypeguy

Yeah it's not good. Only way he can save this is if the warriors lose the first game of the finals without him, then he comes back and gentlemen sweeps.

And Man this NBA pregame segment about tattoos is making him look bad. Comparing Lilliard's more meaningful, thought behind them vs. KD's. The interviewer "Another crush?" yeah I just like the images. Random artists he had a fleeting crush on? Ouch.

I still have tons of respect for his game, never been a better shooter at his size, one of the most unstoppable shot creaters ever, but seems more and more KD is trending stock down lately.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

No, I didn't miss it. Just stating an opinion that is being borne out in these playoffs. Talking heads/media types want you to believe that the Warriors need Durant to win a title but that really isn't true. I want to see Durant go somewhere where the team hasn't already won 73 games and see if he can lead that team to a title.

14. Mr. Space City

It’s like people forget that this core came back from down 3-1 against him.

smarkles and smp like this.
  15. smp

smp Member

Haha. I haven't. Neither has OKC. GS is just fine with or without him. They just won 6 games in a row against the best in the West without him.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah we all want to see that. I was a Durant fan before his act of cowardice.

He will need to make a decision soon.

1) Either stay with the Warriors, remain a coward, but keep collecting trophies knowing full well that it will never be his team. And also live with insecurities and tainted rings.

OR

2a) Build his own team and win a ring and write his legacy on his own terms

OR

2b) Build his own team and never win a ring, and his rings will forever be tainted even more.

It is fear of 2b that might convince him to resign with the Warriors.

1, as tainted as it maybe, is still better than 2b, which really really taints all his rings.

1 lets him hide under pretext that maybe he was just as essential part of the team as Curry. 2b completely exposes him.

17. Mr. Space City

2c) sign with the rockets for the veteran minimum, beat the warriors, and say he took the rockets over the hump to win a ship. :eek:

smp and Zboy like this.
  18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have thought about this.

In this scenario he can legitimately make the claim that Durant's team wins the rings, not Harden's or Curry's.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  19. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Durant won two rings and both times was finals MVP. The take that he didn't earn his rings is the stupidest one ever by definition.

When you are finals MVP, you are literally considered the Most Valuable Player on winning said ring. By definition, you couldn't have done more to earn it because you were literally The Most Valuable!

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Tell Durant that.. maybe he'll pack up his bags and come down to Houston!