1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The trade was Harper for Bukauskas and Stubbs I think. For now Houston does not need to add a bat. If anything they need to find a way to make room for Alvarez, Tucker, and Fisher, who are all kicking ass in AAA right now. Adding Rendon while sending out White and Kemp would result in even less available ABs for Alvarez.

Current hypothetical:

Astros get:
    SP Marcus Stroman

Blue Jays get:
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    OF Derek Fisher
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    1B Tyler White

#81 Snake Diggit, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    AB423 likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only for a manager that spells Alvarez "Gurriel".

I do agree Astros don't need another bat. Astros don't truly need anything. I am definitely for adding a TOR SP, a special bat, and/or another lockdown reliever.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If you’re bringing in Rendon to play 1B, the only “everyday” ABs available would be at DH, just like now. And given you’d want to rest Rendon even less than Gurriel, there would be less ABs to go around for another player (Alvarez).

Astrofan59 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Done. Make it happen.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Nook think the Astros will pull a trade early before the deadline or do you think they will wait until the last week?

I hope they go for a SP early before the Yankees or some other AL team does.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I think right now the Astros feel zero pressure to make a move so it will entirely depend on the market.

I do think the Astros still will go hard after starting pitching under team control with an elite rental as a fall back.

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks!

Last question from me... was having a conversation with a buddy tonight while watching the game. Obviously this team is rolling offensively with no Altuve and to be fair a weak DH when White plays. If they bring in Alaverz and he struggles, can you see them doubling down and trading for DH that can also play first or second? Clearly this is just wishful thinking on my part but I would love to see another bat if they can't do it internally.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

That's 'cause they won't answer my phone calls

Marteen, jim1961, jsingles and 2 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Under the right circumstances and at the right cost, sure. With the Astros a lot of it comes down to prospect costs.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Maybe you don't have the right numbers.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hear me out. The Astros should replace Stassi with Brian Mccain in a trade. He only makes 2 million per season, can be the secondary catcher, and already knows the staff. As a bonus he has a .300 BA. I mean he only signed a 1 year 2 million deal. Braves have a winning record though which could be a problem.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mccann signed with the Braves because he wants to retire with the Braves. Atlanta should be in the playoff mix the entire season. He has an OPS well over .800 and only makes 2 million so there is absolutely no reason to trade him.

At this point in the season the Astros are under no pressure to make any moves. Sure, it would be exciting to see what Alvarez can do or have a better offensive option than Stassi, but the team is rolling.

Barring injury, Stassi will continue to be on the roster.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agreed. Stassi's putrid offense isn't even close to costing the Astros games. The offensive upside of any replacement has to be weighed against the loss of Stassi's framing and familiarity with the staff. He's the freaking backup catcher. Why bother?

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

After reading about Chirinos’ concussion concerns, it certainly could end up being the case that Houston needs a catcher. There’s not a lot out there. My first call would be to the White Sox to ask about James McCann. Familiar with Verlander, having a great year offensively, shouldn’t cost much in prospects. Otherwise the next best option might be somebody like Lucroy. Other than Posey (who I don’t see waiving his no-trade), all the good catchers are on winning teams.

An outside the box option would be to trade for a top catching prospect who is ready for the majors. The Dodgers have 2 excellent catching prospects, so I wonder what it would take to get Ruiz or Smith from them.

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  15. Grydian

Grydian Member

Let's worry about it when it's actually a problem.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He did smash the f*** out of that ball last night that went just foul...and well out of the stadium.

Yeah, McCann isn’t leaving Atlanta and they’re not selling. Stassi is good defensively and the rest of the offense will pick him up when he starts. Absolutely no reason, injuries aside, to move him at this point.

A SP is the only move I can see them making at this point...and that mostly depends on how Martin does. I’d throw last nights game out. 2nd start against the Sox in Fenway would get to anyone.

raining threes likes this.
  17. cardpire

cardpire Member

Tucker for Madbum and Posey

mikol13 likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree even though I'd have concerns with/without concussion concern. Catching is tough. Stassi has not been played all aspects of the game well enough to cut it if need be.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wonder if part of roster management strategy is to always assume you’ll need a 3rd catcher in the playoffs, and so no matter what, a team should assess their 3rd catcher in July and determine if they would feel comfortable with him on the playoff roster, and if not, trade for a catcher even if they don’t currently need one on the 25 man roster.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sorry, just saw this now.
    Springer in CF
    Branltley in RF
    Alvarez in LF.
    Rendon 1B
    Altuve 2B
    Correa SS
    Bregman 3B
    Chirinos C

Reddick, Gurriel, Diaz, and Marisnick are the non-C subs. One of them plays everyday at DH or to allow a starter to play at DH. Two or more play when Hinch wants to give a starter(s) rest. All adding Rendon would do is affect Gurriel and Reddick's ABs unless Alvarez isn't better than those two. If Alvarez can't get ABs over Reddick and Gurriel, that is on Alvarez.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.