1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forget drafting a SF, Sign Eddie Robinson!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, May 10, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

He will no doubt be a superstar before his career ends. He can jump out of the gym and his jump shot is constantly improving. He has the necessary height and extreme quickness to wreak havoc with Mobley and Francis. Is he worth the $4.2 million the Rockets would have to pay? I thinks so!

Comments?

------------------

2. Live

Live Member

I don't know about him being a superstar, but he definitely has a chance to be a player and would be a nice option for the Rocks to consider.

------------------

3. JDuBb

JDuBb Member

Yo...E-rob would be a great addition to the rockets if we do get him.But as far as free agents are concerned,We should go after Webber first,then when we know we can't get him,We can look at other choices and E-rob is one of them.He is quick,can fly,and has a pretty good J,He will go great with Cat and francis's game.He would be very good pickup.But if we get him ,we probley can't keep Moochie?So which one would you rather have?It's a toss up.Out...Peace!

------------------
    -JDuBb...One

4. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Rack Him...that was epic.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

countingcrow -
    Great suggestion! I would have bet very major money that no one else on this BBS had noticed Eddie Robinson. Check the stats and you will see his numbers go up substantially when he gets close to starters' minutes. IMHO, the Rocks are better off with the best available 5 and Robinson as opposed to Battier with Cato.

I think this is a 50 win team:

5) Dream / Pick / Cato / Collier
    4) MoTay (CWebb) / KT
    3) ERob / Bull / Langhi
    2) Cat / (SA) / Colson
    1) Steve / Moochie

------------------
    GATER

6. Band Geek Mobster

I've said a few times in the past that I would love to get Eddie Robinson on this team. Don't know about the superstar thing, but he would be a very nice complement to Cat and Francis.

I think that the Hornets playoff run against the Heat might cause Robinson to want to stay though.

------------------
    All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy. All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy. All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy. All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah he is good. He reminds me alot of Larry Hughes. It would be nice to have him and Jefferson as your Small Forwards.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

8. GATER

BGM -
    Don't you think Robinson would rather start for the Rocks than backup Mashburn?

------------------
    GATER

9. Band Geek Mobster

Yeah I realize Mashburn's in front of Robinson, and that's why I have hope we could get him.

It's hard to leave an exciting playoff team though, and the Hornets showed some excitement this year.

Don't you think Moochie would rather start for the young exciting Clippers than backup Steve Francis?

If I was him, I'd want to be a starting NBA point guard.

------------------
    All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy. All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy. All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy. All work and no play makes Band Geek Mobster a dull boy.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah he is good. He reminds me alot of Larry Hughes.

Me too, he has no jumper. [​IMG]

Robinson is a decent young player with great athletism, good potential, etc. but his jumper is still shaky at best outside of 18 feet. The way this team plays, unless he brings a desperately needed other facet to the game, we have to have a good shooter at the 3 spot. Ever see how good this offense runs when Walt is hitting his shots? That's the type of player this offense is designed for-- good shooter, decent slasher, etc. Robinson is a nice young player, but unless he really works on extending that jumper consistently out to 20-23 feet, I don't think he'd be that good of a fit here.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited May 10, 2001).]

11. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I say take him, definitely. But the real question is if he is willing to play here. I think if Charlotte wanted him back which they do I think he will stay in Charlotte.
    Don't forget he was a undrafted rookie. He choose Charlotte over the other teams. How could all those teams pass up on him?

------------------

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Ok lets see who will have the best career out of Hughes and Collier [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

13. MattsayzIstillbelieve!!!

I talked him up in here a few times but nobody backed me up. His jumper is getting there. He will probably never be known as a shooter but his all-around ability and excellent athleticism are better for this team than the three point shot. And since Charlotte will only be able to offer like 4 mil and a backup spot we can definitly compete for his services. He is from Flint though and might be tempted to Detroit cause they got money, Mateen Cleaves(friend, and a starting spot. I say we go for it the moment Webber looks like he's going somewhere else.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

We can find a better 3 via the draft. Eddie Robinson's the kind of guy you want to provide energy coming off the bench ala Vinnie "microwave" Johnson.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Eddie dunked on Ervin Johnson last night.

------------------

16. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Does anyone here know how high Robinson's vertical is?

------------------
    Sorry Clutch; I had to copy the recap headline "the Mo and Fro Show" into my username cause I loved it!

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Or Charlotte could have been the only team interested. I'm not saying he's gonna stay or go though.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4 million for Eddie Robinson? Uh, pass. If I want an athletic SF without a jump shot I'd rather take a rookie in the draft (Gerald Wallace...don't be surprised to see him sitting in the green room at #18 or 22).

Anyone who complains about Shandon should not want Robinson at all. Robinson's outside shooting is atrocious, even compared to Anderson's. This was supposed to be his breakout year.

Don't expect to see him in a Rockets jersey. A Small Forward with a worse jumper than Shandon, playing in Rudy's system? Not likely.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

19. GATER

NIKEstrad -
    The quality of Robinson's jump shot is a matter of opinion. ERob shoots 54% from the field and has playoff experience. The number of draft picks surviving in the NBA is a matter of fact - low. IMHO, an athletic NBA veteran at the SF is preferable to a draft pick.

According to RealGM, the Hornets are over the cap for 2001-2002 by about $2.2M. Charlotte has a history of being cheap (the Brad Miller saga). Do you really think Robinson will ask for $4+M when Baron Davis is making $3.1M and David Wesley is at $3.2M? (For perspective, Rashard Lewis makes $4.4M).

You may be right that he's not a Rudy T type of player. And I would be more than happy to wait a year for Rashard. But I just don't see how Robinson can ask for or receive $4+M. I think he's a steal at $2M-3.5M.

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited May 11, 2001).]

20. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I don't believe the quality of Robinson's jumper is in doubt. Its not very good. He's very athletic and gets garbage points and runs the break - but he doesn't fit in the Rockets system.

The Rockets need someone who can hit an outside shot, if we wanted to get someone like Robinson, we could get someone just as good, for less through the draft.

------------------
    "You don't do that! You must always give the Dream back his change!"

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.