1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming may now be available; do you think the rox should go after him in the draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j-bone, May 9, 2001.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

2. tariq

tariq Member

YES!!

He may be a project, but a project worth investing in.

-Tariq

------------------

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That is great news, but not because the Rockets can or would draft Ming (who will be gone well before the 9th pick). It is great because that bumps some other good player down a notch, and increased the Rox' chances of landing a Battier or a Jefferson.

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

4. lived

lived Member

Having had the chance to see the 3 big men in China play before, i believe that Yao Ming would be an excellent pick by Houston. He has the skills to play good solid ball, unlike Cato who is anything but a project, even till now. Yao Ming would have to get used to the system and the flow of the game here. Back in Shanghai where i saw him play, the ball was constant fed to him, and he used to run the length of the floor every possesion, even on breaks.
    However, this stil does not address the Rocket's need for a 3 or 4. I'm still rooting for Shane Battier, Yao Ming would be a BIG bonus

------------------
    Do not harm little children!

5. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I think Ming is the one guy you would see teams battling to trade up and pick. There is so much talent in this draft, but Ming is head and shoulders above all others (literally!) I feel that whoever owns the first pick could get a kings ransom for it if he comes out.

With that said, if we get the lotto luck on our side and get the first pick, I don't think I trade that pick. I would probably keep it.

------------------

6. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

lived, how does Yao Ming compares to Wang Zse Zse, from your observation?

I have to admit, I've only seen Wang in one game and it was garbage minutes, but I wasn't that impressed with him. Yes, it seems that he has a good outside touch, but his rebounding is less than desirable. In the game I saw (Game 4 against Utah), he stands around when waiting for a rebound. I didn't see any hustle or boxing out. It's not like he was tired or anything. With the limited minutes that he gets, I expected to see a little hustle or aggressiveness.

I know, it was just one game.

7. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

If we have the 13th pick we'd have no chance of getting him, because he will be a high draft pick. I'm not sure if he will be a top 3 pick, but I think he will be gone way before our pick.

------------------
    Sorry Clutch; I had to copy the recap headline "the Mo and Fro Show" into my username cause I loved it!

[This message has been edited by themoandfroshow (edited May 10, 2001).]

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I don't know... I've heard Yao is an outstanding prospect.

But I remember hearing the following about a player before the 1993 NBA Draft (think it was 1993):

* Agile and skilled for a player of his height
    * Can put the ball on the floor
    * Skilled offensively facing the basket
    * Has the potential on both ends of the court to dominate

Additionally I saw a clip of this player slip behind the defense, take a outlet pass, and SLAM home a one-handed dunk after taking off from less than halfway down the lane-- I mean he just seemed to fly for a second.

The player?

Shawn Bradley.

Seriously.

Frankly, given the way the NBA works nowadays, I say we let someone else draft and work with Yao. If he pans out, there's always a sign-and-trade or free-agent signing as an option. [​IMG]

9. Peakin' Tacoz

Peakin' Tacoz Member

While everybody suggests this guy is the next best thing, I'm a bit sceptical since he does resemble Bradley. All the times I've watched this guy play he has looked rather uncoordinated at times but no doubt about it the guy's got skills - very impressive skills for a 7'6 body.

He's a got a very good handle, very good outside shot and his development as a baller is constantly accelerating. His intensity on both ends is also impressive. 17 blocks in a game at one stage! (granted it was against chinese mainland ballers).

My thought is IF the rockets can get the guy this year or in the coming years, he probably won't help much immediately, but in the long run I'm betting the guy would be the centrepiece of the team...

I remember reading an article where this guy played in some sort of Jordan camp. Jordan trash talked the guy before he hit a three in his face, but the next trip down Ming responded with a 3 of his own. Jordan was impressed enough that several years ago while mj was still with the bulls he suggested the bulls pursue the guy.

In the olympics, with Yao on the court the chinese team was competing nicely with the dream team. When he got in to foul trouble and subsequently got fouled out in the second was when USA pulled away...

Yao Ming = worthwhile investment.

------------------
    dude.. I'm peakin' tacoz!

[This message has been edited by Peakin' Tacoz (edited May 11, 2001).]

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Hopefully Griffin or Richardson but I would settle for Jefferson.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

11. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

BK, my exact thought.
    Anytime someone bring up the "Agile and skilled for a player of his height", I think about Bradley.

Ralph Sampson was praised for his excellent ball handling skill when he came out of college, yet we cringed everytime he brought the ball up court for us.

Not counting his Salary and knowing what he can do (and not do) where in the draft should Bradley be selected this year? I would say late 1st round.

12. chinese

chinese Member

I already posted a few times on this topic.
    BrianKagy, you are right on that don't belive medium or so called experts too much, only believe our own eyes.
    A legend like Hakeem comes out maybe evey 10 years, nine out of ten times, a team ends with a mediocre draftee. We must take the risk, if we got a good role player out of
    draft evey time, we are luck and successful.
    Francis is a steal.
    Yao is Shawn Bradley type player now, I have to admit, but he is very young and wish to learn, giving 3~5 years, maybe he is better
    than Shawn, who is starting center of Mavrick, who knows.
    If Yao is a guarunted young version Bradley,
    and can only get getter, do you think we
    should follow him? My answer is yes, even
    Shawn Bradley is a legitimate pick.

The bad news is whether Yao can enter NBA 2001 draft is still a uncertainty, according
    to many BBS in China.Wait and see.
    As to how Yao campare to his nation team teammate Wang Zhizhi, please refer my privouse post.

I am die hard Rockets and Hakeem fan.

------------------

[This message has been edited by chinese (edited May 10, 2001).]

13. JDuBb

JDuBb Member

Yo..This cat Yao Ming looks like he got some game.Hey if your like 7'6 and can shoot a J.Its all good.Maybe he might be like a Dirk.But,you know if we pick him up,he might not be able to play until later on.Because China has to release and everything.But it would be a risk,could be a star or a bust.But I think he got some game.I mean look at Wang zhizhi,he got a sweet ass J,for a big man.Its always net.We can strike GOLD for drafting him or we can hit rock bottom.If he's still there at our pick,We should pick him up.Out!peace

------------------
    -JDuBb...One

14. chinese

chinese Member

This topic is done, "Yao will not enter
    NBA2001 draft. " said a officer in the press conference hold by Yao's current club.

------------------

15. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member