1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mueller: Letter to Barr says Summary, “Failed to Capture Context, Nature & Substance” of Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more on the question of Barr's prevarications around the bush: "The Big Lie That Barr Lied"

Could what happened here be more obvious? Mueller received fawning press for two years on the expectation that he would slay Trump. Then, on March 24, Democrats and the media learned not only that there was no collusion case (which was no surprise) but that Mueller had been derelict, failing to render a judgment on the only question he was arguably needed to resolve: Was there enough evidence to charge obstruction? Journalists proceeded to turn on their erstwhile hero. This sent him reeling, and it brought to full boil the anger of Mueller staffers, who wanted to charge Trump with obstruction based on the creative (i.e., wayward) theory they had been pursuing — namely, that a president can be indicted for obstruction based on the exercise of his constitutional prerogatives if prosecutors (including prosecutors who are active supporters of the president’s political opposition) decide he had corrupt intent. The staffers put their pique in a letter that could be leaked, and Mueller was sufficiently irked by the bad press that he signed it. And now Democrats are using the letter as the launch-pad for The Big Lie that Barr lied, calculating that if they say it enough times, and their media collaborators uncritically broadcast these declarations, no one will notice that they never actually refer to the transcript of what they claim is the false testimony.

Democrats are unnerved. Attorney General Barr is pursuing an inquiry into the Obama administration’s decision to conduct a foreign counterintelligence investigation of the Trump campaign. The time is now, they figure, to reprise the Ken Starr treatment: the ad hominem withering of an accomplished, highly capable official — in this instance, one who is daring to press questions that would have been answered two years ago if an incumbent Republican administration had spied on — er, monitored — a Democratic presidential campaign.​

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/05/the-big-lie-that-barr-lied/

BigDog63, cml750 and mick fry like this.
  2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Good to read one of your rants again. A lot of little issues, mostly medical, have diverted my attention from the D&D. My left leg needed to be amputated, so learning to walk again absorbed most of my attention. However, Last week my physical therapists clocked my quarter mile time at 5:05 -- pretty bad for a miler but satisfying for me. That means I can return to walking my precinct in support of the President.
    I wish I could get happily involved with the D&D again, but there really is no sustained civil discussion anymore like we had in days of yore. Also, there is a serious lack of witty repartees which made the D&D so fun. You and I are the dinosaurs plodding slowly into the sunset, wishing worthy prey still roamed about.

BTW, Barr is merely following the rules set forth by the then majority Democratic Party just after the Clinton impeachment.

cml750, FranchiseBlade and Deckard like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Bill Barr the Boogeyman -- or so Democrats Would Have Us Think":

It's no longer about Russian collusion; it's about making the attorney general out to be the new Boogeyman -- in yet another shameless attempt to try and delegitimize the Trump administration and fuel calls for impeachment. . . .

Democrats are also greatly concerned that Barr indicated during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Wednesday he's investigating the Russian Collusion Hoax fueled by a cabal of deceptive Deep State actors within the highest echelons of our government. The left is taking the "best defense is the best offense" strategy before the shoe drops. And with the inspector general's report expected to drop any time now, along with declassified FISA documents the president will release among other relevant materials involving the attempted coup d'etat against his administration, Democrats are running scared.

As they should be. The truth is coming out, and Attorney General Barr won't allow America's justice system to be weaponized for political purposes. That's something all Americans should stand shoulder to shoulder on because if one political party in power can abuse our justice system for political purposes, so can the next.​

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a..._so_democrats_would_have_us_think_140239.html

BigDog63, cml750 and mick fry like this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe we've seen why perjury is a tough sell. I am not saying he's guilty of perjury. I won't rule out impeachment, but I wouldn't say that I'm there yet.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Wait until the indictments start getting filed against Obama administration people for their roles in this. I would expect that your enthusiasm for impeaching Barr and probably a number of others might increase rapidly about that same point in time.

cml750 and mick fry like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Still waiting for that Hilary indictment. Is it coming soon?

No Worries and MojoMan like this.
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Good question.

8. adoo

adoo Member

this captures the essence of Barr the liar

[​IMG]

Sweet Lou 4 2, No Worries and Deckard like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’m very sorry to hear about your leg, thumbs. That’s terrible! That you did a quarter mile in a couple of seconds past 5 minutes is remarkable. Sounds like you are very serious about your rehabilitation. I wish you all the best. :)

I disagree with your last comment, but that’s OK. It’s what we do here. I agree that the civility we used to have in D&D has gone downhill. There were always ardent disagreements, but they were leavened, as you point out, by a measure of humor that helped the overall experience a great deal. That, or our memories are failing us. ;-)

Again, I hope your health stabilizes and even improves. It won’t bring back your leg, but if things don’t get worse and you continue on the path you seem to be on, you should be around for a good long time. Hang in there! :)

Pistol Pete and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Bravo! You may have a totally different view of this dog when he goes on the attack.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Democrats shouldn’t give a **** if the Republicans want to investigate Obama “spying” on Trump. Obama isn’t running for office and people already know how they feel about both Obama and Trump and that isn’t going to change much.

12. Nook

Nook Member

No he lied, he just didn’t perjure himself.

No Worries likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Barr is doing something you might consider spending some time thinking about. He is attacking the integrity of our justice system by lying about the contents of the Mueller Report. That is a fact, not speculation. He has lied about both the content of the Mueller Report, and his conversations, by voice and letter, with Director Mueller while testifying before Congress. That is a felony. That should concern you, in my opinion, because the job of the Attorney General of the United States is to be the people’s attorney, not the personal attorney of the man currently in the White House. He is also expected to be honest, and he is not. This is not a joke.

No Worries likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Mueller in his report goes into a great amount of detail why he did not make a recommendation concerning obstruction.

dmoneybangbang and No Worries like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That’s true, Nook, but I suspect that the average American will never read the redacted Mueller Report, much less a version that lets America read the full, unredacted version, and the supporting evidence. Heck, our Congress has yet to see the unredacted version and the supporting evidence, even in closed session. In fact, the average American likely gets most of his or her information about the report from the evening news or cable news, whatever their source is (which can very widely in how that news is presented, as you know, depending on the source). If they read any version of it, it’s probably bits here and there online or in a newspaper.

I’ll add that what we are hearing from Barr about Mueller’s report and Mueller’s conclusions is very likely far different from what is in Mueller’s executive summaries before each section, which are fully redacted, and Congress has yet to read them, again, even in closed session. I find that very disturbing. What I am hearing is that Mueller intended those summaries to be given to Congress and with little redacted, much less redacted in their entirety, and also to be available to the public, not hidden by Barr.

Mueller is reportedly angry about how the report is being handled by Barr. Mueller was given a very narrow scope for his investigation, and reportedly intended Congress to draw its own conclusions about the full, unredacted report and pursue whatever investigations they thought fit. In other words, it is essentially a guide for Congress for further action, if they thought that called for. Barr appears to be doing everything he can to prevent that, in my opinion.

Nook likes this.
  16. mick fry

mick fry Member

The condensed Barr hearing, the one minute that matters.

MojoMan and cml750 like this.
  17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Fun fact: Eric Holder was the first and only Attorney General to be held in contempt of congress.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I don’t know why I reply to you. Either you post a nonsensical cartoon, or in this case, a meaningless minute from Barr’s testimony. I can assure you that the Democrats there didn’t agree with Barr’s comment. Not that you care. They are not alone. Many constitutional scholars think both trump and Barr are claiming authority that doesn’t exist under the constitution. I won’t waste my time writing paragraphs in response to you in the future.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A criminal should not be able to dismiss a case against him by claiming the accusation is false. It's not for the Criminal (Trump) to make that decision, it's for the investigators and the jury (in this case Congress and the people).

Deckard likes this.
  20. mick fry

mick fry Member

I would suggest you guys watch again and discuss amongst yourselves which part you’re not understanding.

cml750 likes this.