1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

she won't. her and gendry are the future ;)

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Weren't their armies on the iron fleet that got got by Euron?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I really enjoyed it. The buildup to the actual fighting was great my pulse was racing honestly. The scene from above looking at the flaming Dothraki charging was awesome and then one by one that massive army is just decimated and the flames flicker out. That was good! Sucks the Dothraki went out like that but it showed the degree of opponent they were facing. The only thing that really bugged me was how Jaime Lannister, Samwell, etc would seriously have survived. They’d been dead in seconds honestly.

BigM likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure, for background that makes sense. But, for storytelling, to invest that much setting the stage and then have the Night King go down like a little b**** (and his only army with him -- a design flaw if I ever heard one) is insufficient payoff. I hope there's more to be done on that arc. But the writing has gotten pretty bad lately, so I also won't be shocked if there isn't.

donkeypunch likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean the Dothraki dying would have been a foregone conclusion. An army charging on horse into a set army that won't run away is going to get slaughtered. These aren't just mindless dead drones, they fight like a real army. All they have to do is stand their ground and those Dothraki never stood a chance.

But it does make for a really cool visual.

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Except that it didn't because you couldn't see anything but lightbugs .

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

i actually liked that part. it gave the impression of how strong the nk's army was once they were taken out so quickly. the cool visual already happened when all their weapons were lit on fire to me

tmoney1101 likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I've been watching too much "The Walking Dead". I kept thinking they were biters and, if they bit you, then you would turn. But, these zombies had to kill you and then you had to be "raised" by the Night King moving his arms up while looking stupid. Yea...the good guys' arms would have fallen off from swinging those swords so much. There is no way they could have kept that up for as long as they did. I didn't buy it, either. Those zombies were swarming all at once but it felt like there were too many convenient one-on-one fights going on. I do recall Sam being in a bit of a pickle but then got help. Toward the end, I honestly thought they caught a shot of Sam on the ground eating a Whataburger. He was just pooped.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

From a writing standpoint, the trench should have stopped the wights. That forces the White Walkers to invade the castle and wreck shop. Even though all humans have dragonglass, most are unskilled warriors and get slaughtered by the army of White Walkers. Lots of humans die and our heroes can showcase their Valyrian steel swords and sword combat to defeat most of the White Walkers. That's when the Night King raises the dead and wights are behind the castle walls.

We get some good White Walker action, Valyrian steel swords get to mean something, and we can focus on our heroes. Instead, we get repetitive World War Z zombie hordes.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It's sad to know this wonderful show has gone from a scene debating whether a victory in battle was really won based on the results it yielded and soldiers lost like this...

...to lazy theatrics like this.

Just think. Melisandre showed up before the battle as a surprise to everyone in the army, including the Dothraki. That means that the Dothraki's strategy was to run at the army of the dead in complete darkness on horseback without even knowing what they were truly going up against before Melisandre arrived. That is, unless you believe the Dothraki had a more conservative strategy against the dead, but Melisandre's "help" inspired them to throw all strategy out the window and commit genocide faster than microwavable minute rice. For a woman who can see visions of the future and understand Arya was the one to kill the Night King, you'd think she'd have to decency to whisper in the ear of the leader of the Dothraki and say, "Abort mission. Don't let me get your hopes up by lighting up your weapons. That'd totally be a dick thing to do to give you a genocide inducing false sense of hope that you actually stand a chance in battle."

Invisible Fan and bobloblaw like this.
  12. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

Yep...from the build up from first scene in season one, just to see the knight king die like that. No fleshing out of his backstory and no good explanation of his motivations. A really good and compelling villain would have made this episode and the last few seasons of this show so much better. Also, the writers are making Arya way too OP. Watch Arya be the one to kill Cersei too. This episode was trash. Maybe the worst episode of GOT I've seen, considering the expectations.

13. cebu

cebu Member

not sure whether the writers were idiot or they want Jon Snow to look like an idiot for that.
    not sure the purpose of the fire on their arakh. it came from the lord of light but it served like a candle light only.

14. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

From what I understand, Dan and Dave have nothing to do with the prequels. They have complete creative control of this show now that GRRM's source material has run out. It's just lazy/poor writing on their part. I think they are too busy working on their future Star Wars projects and not really worried about giving GOT a great ending.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. Falcons Talon

Anyone else think that NK was a Targaryen?
    1. NK made the Targaryen sigil with body parts.
    2. NK was a dragon rider, and only Targs could ride dragons.
    3. NK was immune to dragon fire.

Can anyone think of anything else tying NK to the Targaryans?

16. Falcons Talon

That's true. I really love how it gave a brief, albeit false sense of hope when those weapons got lit up.... but then the white walkers REALLY lit up the Dothraki. I'm just saying i would have rather seen the carnage, but it doesn't bother me that we couldn't see it. It really did a good job making me put my hands to my face and say ,"Oh damn"

YOLO likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

does it change anything if that turned out to be the case though?

18. Falcons Talon

Nah, i can't see it changing anything. Just making an observation.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

• The NK is 10,000 years old.
    • The Valyrians themselves are only 5,000 years old.
    • The Targaryan household of Valyria (in Essos) didn't arrive in Westeros until 3-4 centuries ago
    There's a big gap in time that your theory will need to deal with. Maybe there is an answer to fill that gap. I'd be very interested.

MiddleMan likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The TV show is pretty much a cliff notes version from the source material. GRRM wove a story way too complex for a TV show and its casual audience to handle. Unfortunately the directors went in the opposite direction once they were given free reign to develop as they see fit. GRRM was pretty bad about sending characters off on mindless epic journeys, but they almost always wove an intricate story that some how explained something else that was going on elsewhere. He often used gossip in these mindless narratives as a means to wrap up loose ends or to explain back stories. The TV show just simply truncates the story, shrugs its shoulder and moves on. Nobody cares about the details if you give an 80 minute long battle scene to distract them from the crappy story.

Im hoping GRRM is waiting for the show to end to tell his version.