1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Realistically how do you will the night king? He can't be killed by dragon fire. He is insanely strong. He can raise dead people. He has a sixth sense. You need to some some sort of fluke victory. Same problem with superman you need some kryptonite.

BigM and tinman like this.
  2. FaBo

FaBo Member

I was definitely hyped for this episode, but like some others here, am a little disappointed now. I didn't like the fact that only so few main characters died (only Jorah, Theon and Beric, if I'm not mistaken). Not saying that I WANT them do die, but if you practically dedicate an entire episode to the characters' farewell, it seems kind of pointless to have most of them survive anyway. Also, the emotional impact would have been much greater if more had died, the plot armor just takes the suspense out of it.

Then of course we have to talk about Arya killing the Night King. Now, I don't have much of a problem with the fact that it was Arya killing him, but rather the way she killed him. I mean, she just appeared out of nowhere, apparently managed to get by all of the White Walkers and wights without anyone noticing her and then kills this incredibly powerful being that not even dragon fire could harm with relative ease. Somewhat similar to Snoke's death in Star Wars, a character being portrayed as super powerful only do be killed like a b*tch.

Also, in regards to the battle itself, I thought that the Battle of the Bastards was far superior. That battle really did leave me speechless, but this battle just seemed... dull, I guess. Didn't help that you could barely see anything, of course. But, there's still 3 episodes left, so I don't want to judge this season too early.

donkeypunch and Rocket River like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gm 3 I mean Episode 3 and 4 are Make or Break for this Season.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was confident Arya would be mankind's most formidable killer but did not know she strived to be the Greatest Assassion of All time among all creatures. Does not looke GOATish.

#744 daywalker02, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. FaBo

FaBo Member

I mean, at least show how Arya approached him or how she got there instead of the Night King turning around and - boom! - Arya just flying into him as if she was catapulted in there.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Demi god Achilles

- the Achilles heel. There is one weak point to attack, I think he was covered in some monster blood that made him invincible but a tree leaf landed on his heel while bathing in it.

NK could have been created similarly.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

ep 3 went on for too long by 1hr. half expected s8 to be disappointing as the tv writers are winging it. unfortunately, their own ideas and mythology has been the weakest part of the series and this is unchanged.

donkeypunch and Rocket River like this.
  8. MD_in_Training

They should have given him a difficult-to-achieve kryptonite that the viewers know about, then use that kryptonite to kill him at the end of the series. Instead, we are lead to believe that he is an out of this world being that is close to invincible, but a 18 year old girl can just jump in from nowhere and shank him with a ubiquitous weapon to kill him and his entire army.

9. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

To be fair the Dothraki riders are not supposed to be good at defending castles, they much prefer to charge into enemies in an open field. It's just the dead army turned out to be too overwhelming.

10. MD_in_Training

They weren’t charging into any army. They were charging into the darkness with no idea who, where, or how large a force their opponent is. It was like the military tactics were written by a kindergarten kid.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

The other one is a shop used for memes. Original is from the World Cup. This one seems legit. idk

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don’t necessarily think Cersei is the “end game”. I mean she’s a big part of it, but likelier than not, it’s mostly about Jon and Dany.

Also the NK hasn’t even shown up in the books yet. I think the Winds of Winter does have the wall coming down and “the others” attacking Winterfell, but there will be a dozen more characters involved doing a dozen more things. Hard to say who exactly will be involved and doing what.

What we do know though from GRRM himself is that Tyrian, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jon, and Dany will all make it to the end which is likely this battle up north and the Dream of Spring aftermath. So I could def see Arya playing some sort of Deux Ex Machina role here coming in last minute or being a big part in the end of the battle regardless. I think she’ll be there at the very least.

#752 dobro1229, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Rocket River likes this.
  13. MD_in_Training

But it’s still a struggle between Jon, Dany, and Cersei, whereas I think Jon, Dany and the NK would be more apt. Cersei is more or less irrelevant at this point. I don’t know why she’s even alive still.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I must say Melisandre is really a full grown woman in a beauty sense not some short queen.

Shame it's all magic.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure why you think she’s irrelevant. I think she’s become a much more interesting character once she seized power and lost everything in the process. Plus the Lannister children all have a story to tie off.

16. MD_in_Training

I just don’t see her ending up on the Iron Throne in GRRM’s tale. Each one of Jon, Dany, or NK could conceivably come out on top. Furthermore, I think Cersei became less interesting. She has more or less lost her mind and is one dimensional now. She’s no longer balanced by love for her kids or even Jaime. She’s just an embodiment of a despot.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If they showed her approaching him it would ruin the surprise. Maybe have her rip off a walker mask then gank him or something. Dunno.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The sky battle was not a good
    I feel much the same way
    I predicted Arya would sneak out and hunt for the Night King herself
    I was unsure if she would do it though
    So this was not surprising .
    All the great parts went to the LAY-DEES!!

Question: WHAT THE F*CK WAS BRAN DOING?
    What was the point of the Ravens?

Rocket River

BigM likes this.
  19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I personally enjoyed the episode, it was a bit more sanitized than I was expecting but still epic non the less. There was a nice sense of tension going on throughout.

They've established a handful of times that Arya is excellent at stealth and can wear other faces, so I really didn't think it was that much of a stretch to see her at the end...

I already kind of expected the reaction in here, oh well, to each their own......

20. MystikArkitect

The episode in it of itself wasn’t disappointing. Arya sneaking up on the NK was a little odd but I knew she was going to be the one to kill him. I thought she’d take a WW face but still not sure how she did it. Why didn’t they just go with her killing him with the staff though and have it eject into him? Simply dropping the dagger seemed so....ordinary.

Cersei should’ve died last season, Danny taken over, and this whole last season spent on a chess match with the night king. The Long Night was a generation long thing. They did it over the course a few hours.

What did Bran do with the ravens?

justtxyank likes this.