1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was it right for Mike D'Antoni to play Capela long minutes with 2 infections?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 23, 2019.

?

Good decision?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

85 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Obviously it was a bad idea.... we had a sick guy playing - and we didnt win... adding insult to injury (or sickness)

MDA has been playing a longer playoff rotation - but still has trust issues.... Faried could have played more, Nene, Hartenstein.... should have at least tried to work another big into the rotation - as opposed to small ball and asking CC to play in a debilitated state...

PeterKingX and tinman like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I was trying to pretend it was a bench effort, you know like 2 fgs and a free throw from 3 different players, hahah , but sadly last night I had the box score going while watching the game, 5 points from Rivers, that was hard to watch.

tinman likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, is that a record for bench futility or lack of use by the Rockets??

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No. It was a terrible decision. What is also terrible are the unfair and vicious attacks on Capela by members here who care nothing for what was obvious to several of us during and after the game. That Clint was sick as a dog and should have never suited up.

Thefabman, Remlap, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I’m beyond words on D’Antoni at this point.

Just speechless.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'd honestly like to see the record for lowest bench production ina pplayoff game. I'd also really like to see a few other players have a go, I mean 5 points.... Someone has to be able to add to Rivers points there. It was obviously an awful game, but House needs to get it going 28% on fgs , he needs a contract, hopefully tomorrow will be a lot better.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah,, I'm not calling out Clint at all, he did what he could, hopefully he's getting some rest and feels better soon. I'm mainly saying when he wasn't himself and by the 4th when things were looking done why not give some burn to other guys (just in case the normal rotation bench doesn't produce in a later series) , I mean a split in Utah was enough, especially considering the circumstances with what Capela is dealing with. He's been sick and hasn't been himself. The Rockets are going to need him against the GSWs

Like even if Clint was his normal self, 5 points from Rivers/total bench could still have made it like a game 3 etc

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't pink eye highly contagious?

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Where is Nene? We are getting killed on the glass and it's not like the Jazz are playing a stretch 5 that he has to chase around.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Should have sat him if he was really that sick....dumb move by pringles.....KF and Nene would have held it down.

hongxingli likes this.
  11. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

I complained about Capela's play in the game thread, but if he was sick, we should try someone else, it just doesn't make sense to play someone who is sick and have no energy.

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Respiratory problems are way more serious. People can definitely die from them.

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It was a horrible decision that may come to bite us next game. We need the Capela advantage vs the Jazz and with him playing so poorly because of a sickness, our whole offense is stagnant.

Capela should've flew home to Houston early and bubbled wrapped until the next game. Now we're looking at another game with Capela not at 100%. If he plays terrible again, we might just drop game 5 and if that happens, this series is definitely going to 7.

tinman likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

So SOME good came out of game 4.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was a Tmac/Yao era playoff game vs the Jazz where the bench scored single digits

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Especially at the highest arena in the league. 6200 feet is no joke for someone with respiratory issues.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Let’s not forget that Clint is 22. That’s a serious illness for a kid. He’ll still be run down tonight.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

For people saying the medical staf would’ve held him out / kept him from playing, you cannot be that naive. Players will decide to play against medical advice and or a coach and or management will push for a player to play against medical advice.

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I guarantee you, if Capela faced any serious risks from playing his regular minutes he wouldn’t have played. It wouldn’t even have been Diantoni’s decision.

Remlap likes this.
  20. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Clint’s gotta avoid making out with randos at the club.