1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No reason we shouldn't sign Mills. Or every other fair priced lineman on the market. Competition is key.

Joshfast and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That does not go according to plan B, because there is no plan B.

coachbadlee likes this.
  3. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Just have to hope they hit it out of the park with the draft. At this point, I am at a loss. Its getting to a point where they appear to truly not know what they are doing. They send mixed signals to everyone and move forward with patchwork plans at important positions like tackle and corner.

I wish I could say something like moving on from Clowney makes sense for draft capital but when I think back on it, when have they ever moved on from a good player and done a good job replacing him? I think of Duane Brown, A.J. Bouye, Arian, Winston, Brandon Brooks. They have a history of letting guys walk or trading them and then doing very little to nothing to address the void.

Its to a point now where it could be safe to say they have no idea how to run a winning franchise. They are investing in Cleveland and Buffalo castoffs so their cycle of incompetence just keeps spinning. They truly believe they are the smartest people in the league. Unfortunately, I think this only gets worse.

I have a heavy heart for guys like DHop, Clowney, Watt, heck even JJo. This organization sold them all on lies and promises they had no idea how to keep.

coachbadlee likes this.
  4. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Trade???
    Hmm - BOB did say the Texans are interested in building through the draft.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wow that's really damning

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m ok with trading Clowney anywhere but KC

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

Dude, you are way too emotional for sports. Hop, Watt and JJo weren't deceived, they were offered money to play football and they took it with the knowledge that there will only be one champion at the end of each season. If you look at the league as a whole, a lot of the teams are inept but the Texans with Billy O as coach have found a way to win division titles, make the playoffs and fail just enough to get a franchise qb. This is a team that is trying, you can see the effort in their failures.

Bouye was undrafted, do the Texans get credit for finding him and refining his skills? No. He now makes thirteen mil a year, Colvin is taking home half of that and is actually a pretty good player. Now the Colvin signing is being crapped on not just because he was injured but also because Kevin Johnson was also out and that spelled Kareem back to cb making the secondary look just atrocious at times. While the team can be criticized for their lack of a contingency plan (I will fight Shareace Wright if I see him in the street) the position was addressed.

Arian Foster was replaced by Lamar Miller following his departure. It just so happens that Arian Foster was a special running back, dude could literally do it all and as unfair as it is to compare Miller to him, Miller obviously has not been able to fill that void. Enter D'Onta Foreman. In his rookie season as he began to get more playing time, Foreman started to show flashes of some of the things Arian used to do. Unfortunately for the uber-talented back he got injured and wasn't able to regain form last season but all signs indicate that he will be ready for the season to pick up from where he left off his rookie year.

Losing Eric Winston Broke my heart, that guy was everything you could ask for in a tackle but by the end of his time here you could see the tread was worn on that tire, the next season they plugged in Derek Newton and the team is 12-4. Newton continued to play well for three season until he blew out both knees and was subsequently replaced with Chris Clark. Brandon Brooks was a free agent that did not want to be here and he was overrated, losing Ben Jones was the bigger issue when Brooks left. Either way he was replace by Jeff Allen who had been playing very well for the chiefs. Allen was average but injuries and concussions messed him up, he lost a lot of weight last off-season but that didn't prevent him from further injuring himself. Ben Jones was replace by Nick Martin who I don't think anyone can complain about too much and Allen was supplanted by Greg Mancz and then Senio Kelemete, who has flashes of decency while playing through a litany of injuries.

The Patriots just won the Superbowl with three former Browns, three former Bills, five former Texans (Hoyer, Stephen Anderson, John Simon, James Ferentz, Ufomba Kamalu) and a former UFL player on their roster, talent can be anywhere but with Shareace Wright.

So now you know those positions will be highly prioritized in the draft. I know its the company tagline but it really is important to build through the draft. Look at all of the good teams, new England, Philly, New Orleans, San Diego, Kansas City, they build through the draft. Coaches can better indoctrinate players to their program, it helps keep the payroll down so that the team can pay the stars what their worth, and still be competitive. Obviously, the most important factor to building through the draft is having good scouting personnel. Brian Gaine's first draft illustrated he can pick a good safety, he loves the name Jordan and Clowney's replacement could be found in the sixth round.

Its too early in the year for this much disappointment, after the last training camp cuts if the roster is still deficient I'll whine with you bro

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What a fan!!!

Joshfast likes this.
  9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Your crystal ball sucks.
    So you don't think DW4 can win us a SB?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Oh trust me, I know I am way too emotionally invested in this team. I wish I knew how to quit them. Hell I dont even live in Texas anymore and still follow them religiously.

I think though as someone who has known a few former and current employees and players with the team, the frustration with the upper management and ownership is palpable. They have had enough talent and more than enough resources to have won it all a few times. Their pitfalls come from decision making and pride. Thats my frustration. But I still love the team.

red5rocket, whag00 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

red5rocket likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think the McNair’s are going to bring us a Super Bowl. I would love to be wrong but I have seen nothing that leads me to believe the organization has changed.

red5rocket and mikol13 like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Texas Tech will win a championship before the Texans do.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I honestly dont know where all this anger is coming from? Like i get we didnt have a steller Free agency and i myself don't really like anyone we signed other than Mccaron who i think is better than weeden...

My thing is what were the moves that you guys were hoping to make? This Free agent class was very thin at Corner and Tackle. Yet some of you seem to be acting like we decided to pass on multiple all pros at those positions. We made some okay moves and are set up to be able to focus on the line in the draft which was exactly the plan going into the offseason.

To be acting like we have made some horrible moves is honestly ridiculous.

UTSA2step, Hey Now!, rusHour and 3 others like this.
  16. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I’m no Rick Smith hater but most of the players you mention not finding adequate replacements for came under his watch. We have to wait to see what they do with regards to Duane Brown until after this draft. Based on the last draft, Gaine seems to have an eye for talent as several of his picks look promising. My main complaint with Gaine so far has been his reliance on players with extensive injury histories, namely Henderson and Khalil

I’d also have no issue trading Clowney, provided we can get a starting LT, CB, or a stud inside pass rusher with his draft pick compensation. I think Mercilus can give you 85% of Clowney’s production (if used in a similar manner) for 50% of the cost

17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

So you think the McNair's don't want to win a SB and add value to their franchise?

18. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think the McNair’s want to win a Super Bowl as badly as some other owners, but more importantly I don’t believe the McNair’s are good at putting their team in a position to be true contenders and I have nearly two decades of football to back it up... and a quote from less than a week ago stating that nothing has changed with the death of Bob McNair.

The best bet is that the Texans ownership stumbles onto hiring an elite GM and they don’t get in his way.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think defensive end/pass rush should still be a huge draft priority. JJ Watt is 30. Clowney is apparently being shopped. NFL = Not For Long.