1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa Doubtful

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Mar 26, 2019.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why does it matter what they say?

SWTsig and Hey Now! like this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Speaks to their media credibility. Why even listen to them when you know your just going to get smoke blown up your @ss?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They've been consistently doing that since the beginning of the Luhnow tenure... with everything from potential trades, signings, service-time delays, and injuries.

Seems like nobody has stopped listening to them yet...

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer is 5 years older and Correa won't be a free agent for another 3 years.

You can sign the former to a 3-4 year deal, and wait and see on Correa.... or you could gamble and sign Correa now when his value is probably the lowest it could possibly be (but I doubt his agents advise him to bet against himself).

CisBuds4U likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Listening and taking them seriously are two different things. But, your point is a good one. Hard to tune out guys you like very much for what they do for the club.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't see any reason to extend Springer before he hits free agency. He will be 31 and we can throw a qualifying offer on him. Unless he puts together 2 monster seasons, he's not getting 100 million in all likelyhood. He will be lucky to get a Lorenzo Cain contract.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If Correa would take a Bregman-like deal, it would be a good idea for the Astros to jump all over that. It is worth the gamble for the team. It's a reasonable security trade-off for Correa, as well, considering his back injury.

King1 and BigM like this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I would take that gamble on Correa but he thinks too highly of himself to settle for that, injury history or not.

King1 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer has proven to be a necessary leadoff hitter and plus defensive OF for this club. They really don't have a comparable replacement in the minors. No, I'm not advocating for locking up Springer till he's 38.... but he's going to be a big contributor through his early 30's.

They already did get a fairly team friendly arbitration deal this year and last year, and barring any freak injuries, he's going to exceed the arbitration value they bought out.

The fact that they will still have one more arbitration year going into next season, with him being on the cusp of becoming a 30+ year old, gives the Astros tremendous leverage to give him a deal that still buys out prime years, but is ultimately cheaper than what a 29 year old free agent all-star CF would cost on the open market.

Springer doesn't hit FA till 31, and his agent will likely advise him to get more guaranteed bought out years sooner rather than later.... the only sticking point is whether or not he's truly happy in Houston (he's a New Englander, very close-knit with the rest of his family... sometimes its not about money).

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correa, if he meets his expectations (or merely meets his production when healthy... that was as recent as beginning of last season, or first half of 2017)... is better than that.

If he bets against himself, due to fear of health issues, that's really not a great sign.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I agree. However a Bregman contract isn’t exactly a slap in the face. I think you can have confidence in yourself and take the financial security of $100 million.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Certainly... but if Correa does have just one monster season, he immediately is worth more than that.

If he's healthy, Correa "should" be very productive... as he's been at every level, including this one. If he never feels he's going to be healthy, then he should take the guaranteed money (whatever it is).

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Ok and that matters why exactly? Certainly hasn’t seemed to effect them thus far.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As far as team play goes, it doesn't. As a fan though, you want to know whats going on and all these ambiguous smoke screens keep us in the dark. For this fan, its just frustrating and that is all.

15. bobrek

Is there any tram that gives complete and thorough information on injuries?

Also, what more should they say about Correa? They said he tweaked his neck during a run down play, it is stiff and he is essentially day to day.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That illustrates my point. Since they basically give us the same type of response, whether a serious matter or not, a tweaked neck could be just that, or not. That is the problem with canned responses. Once your words come to mean nothing, many fans will fill in the blanks themselves via speculation. Speculation often becomes perceived fact. Is that a good thing?

But to your first point, I am sure we are not alone.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They said McCullers had a strained forearm. It turned out he needed Tommy John surgery.

Hopefully neck soreness isn't code for he aggravated his back problem.

The good news is Diaz was a slightly better offensive player than the injured Correa was last year. So that's kind of a positive....I guess.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Buying out 1 year of Springer's free agency is about the only thing that makes sense for him. I don't think he's going to age very well.

Good thing about Correa is that by the time he is a free agent, Bregman and Altuve will be the only contracts on the books, so there *should* be plenty of money to resign him, assuming they don't have to spend a bunch of money rebuilding the pitching staff. Houston has a LOT riding on Tucker, Whitley, and the pitching depth if they want the run to continue on past 2021.

19. bobrek

Right...and had they noted the seriousness of his injury it might have affected the way Boston approached their at bats against him.

Grydian likes this.
  20. Grydian

Grydian Member

You do know in war we have secrets right? How about we not tip to the opponent who is weak and could be pressed for an advantage. I want to win a lot more than I care how transparent a private business is about their player's health.