1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Can’t handle an honest opinion yourself? Because the honesty isn’t in whether men think the theme was Overstated or not. The honesty is that they can’t handle the truth.

Don’t watch saving private Ryan if you don’t like movies about war.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Are you implying that I can't compare this movie to wonder woman because rather than being regular comic book movies "about war", they're movies "about women"?

That doesn't sound right... I'm even willing to bet Tyler Perry wants my money, if we're going with your kind of thinking.

3. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I’m not implying anything. I’m flat out saying if you are a man who spent time and money watching this movie to come to a conclusion that the women’s empowerment angle was too much for you, you are weak.

Don’t watch the matrix if you don’t like science fiction.

4. Invisible Fan

Okay... Me think me post movie thoughts in movie thread. U noliek u no read?

Jontro likes this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I haven't watched it, but that thought does seem to be a common feeling. I don't recall Wonder Woman being very heavy handed with women empowerment, but maybe that was just done more subtle and better. Viewers don't like having to be hit over the head to understand the message.

GRENDEL and mrm32 like this.
  6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Ripley, Princess Leia, Sarah Conner, Wonder Woman, The Bride, Trinity...all have done it better without having to actually try. I think at this point the general public is fine with strong, awesome female leads/heroes. In 2019, it doesn't have to be a *wink, wink* girl power thing...I think we're past the need to hit people on the head with it, and in fact it actually takes away some of the empowerment when you have to be so obvious about it.

droxford and mrm32 like this.
  7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

You hit the nail on the head. A better director/writer would have found more subtle ways to send the message home.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You're not allowed an opinion when it differs from theirs.

Welcome to the messed up world we live in.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The movie was pretty decent. It lacked some emotional heft for the story it wanted to tell, maybe. I’d put it in the middle of the Marvel canon.

Oh, and That Scene between Goose and Fury? My wife and I laughed because.....cat gonna cat. ALWAYS. My wife caught the same reaction, thankfully to her ankle, for being nothing but sweet to a usually-nice cat who decided that, at just that moment, he’d Go Cat on her. Same cat has been sucking up to us in these apartments for food. He forgot his actions. We didn’t.

Cat gonna cat.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good movie. On par with the first Ant man. Funny moments.

Have to say people here have been waiting to hate it and that’s just pathetic. I almost fell for some of that pessimism but I’m glad I didn’t.

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I went into it with the anticipation of it being a good movie because, by in large, I’ve really enjoyed what Marvel has done since probably “Ultron”. But I thought this movie was just ok. I think it was the acting, especially from Brie, and I thought a lot of the funny moments fell flat. Not a bad movie by any means and it was interesting seeing this tied into the other Marvel movies and Avengers. But I wouldn’t say it was good either. Probably 6 out of 10 for me.

DaDakota and Rocket River like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I recall the howl when Game of Thrones
    Became the war of the five queens

They did have a wack girl power montage
    But it did not bother me

I hope they reintro Monica as an adult
    Aka the other Capt Marvel

Rocket River

13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Too straightforward for you?

Weird though, I thought WW was a ten ton sledgehammer of subtlety. Different strokes I guess. Maybe watch Captain Marvel though.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Wonder Woman featured a strong female protagonist from a female warrior clan. It worked within the story.

Generally, I feel audiences have no problems with strong female protagonists. It gets cringy to me when the dialogue calls for comparisons to women vs men time after time. It feels preachy and naggy which nobody appreciates.

I plan on watching this as I've watched every MCU movie, but likely not before End Game comes out. I'll probably catch it on Netflix. I do think Brie Larson's comments were uncalled for, but that doesn't mean I'll outright boycott the movie and post fake reviews. But it makes me sensitive to any perceived SJW agenda whether intended or not. That combined with the feedback makes me less than enthused to watch it, but I hope I'm wrong and end up enjoying it.

15. Invisible Fan

Nah, I started off expecting honest discussion about this, but your internet flexing has been too ironic for my newly discovered weak and easily triggered temperment.

I hope people enjoy the movie.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's the crux of the issue with this movie. The director just couldn't handle it. Can we get back to using good directors regardless of sex, Marvel? If you had to snag a female director, Kathryn Bigelow has a proven track record of making some amazing action movies.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

We saw the film Saturday, I thought the film was good but not great.

Larson was really wooden for most of the film and I really think my biggest issue is that I never really cared much about the lead character. For the better part of the film, she's the least interesting character on the screen. I thought the film was at its best when they paired Nick Fury and Carol together. Ben Mendelsohn was the biggest surprise for me, after the turn, his character ended up being far more interesting that your usual disposable villain.

The story itself was just all over the place and in parts it reminded me of The Long Kiss Goodnight. Some of the bigger reveals felt like they were telegraphed well in advance which killed any tension in the whole thing. Like some people mentioned, the feminist themes were woven into the story but it never felt organic or natural. I

thought it's heart was in the right place but movies like Wonder Woman did a far better job overall, especially in giving us a much more charismatic lead.

B-

ROXTXIA likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Wonder Woman was so obtuse about it though and the hammy ass dialogue delivered exactly what you are talking about with zero grace or tact. I mean, see both movies before you tell me what's preachy. Talk about agendas? Brie Larson said she wanted to hear reviews from not-white-men right? THAT'S HER OFFENSE? Samuel L. Jackson doesn't like Donald Trump, excuse me while I feign surprise. THAT'S THE OFFENSE? Go on and talk about agendas, white men responding by trying to tank a movie before it comes out. Reviewing it poorly before it comes out lol LET'S TALK ABOUT AGENDAS.

150 million dollar opening weekend. Let's talk about the agendas PLEASE can we talk about them. Talk about wooden or woodies or whatever, go watch the walking 2x4 Captain America.

Xenon likes this.
  19. myco

myco Contributing Member

Ummmm no one has ever paid attention to Brie Olson's character in anything she had ever done.
    WHY ARE YOU SO WEAAAAKKKK

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Sheesh. Lighten up, Francis.