1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Offer Verlander the Roger Clemens deal: perpetual 1-yr $25M contracts for as long as he wants it, or wants to restructure to help the budget.

;)

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Except he has to go on road trips

Madmanmetz likes this.
  3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just started reading Astroball today at work. He doesnt seem like a guy who would ever go all in for one year at all. He believes in long term viability with a stacked farm system through drafts. Not like 90% of you all didn't know that already though. Can't believe I waited so long to buy the book.

4. Buck Turgidson

Meh. Staying home a few extra days during the season with t*** McGee is a pretty good selling point too.

Mr.Pringles and Game7 like this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

I don't understand why our star player is getting his toe nail removed at a nail salon versus with team docs and have it done properly with numbing. In grown nail can lead to some really bad infection if not treated properly with the right after care. Seems like our team docs are a bunch of clowns. A player of his importance shouldn't need to go a nail salons with most likely uncertified techs.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think he got his nail removed; she was just digging out the ingrown portion. Either way, I highly doubt the team knew about it, and if he really did have a severely ingrown toenail I’m sure the team doctors would take care of it for him if he let them know.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Make it so. 2 years plus a vesting or club option. Tell him to bring Tony Sipp with him.

The Beard and LonghornFan like this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I only want Keuchel in odd-numbered years... maybe in even-number years have him stashed far far away...

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Question: If Keuchel signs with the Phillies, what draft pick would they give up, since they already gave up draft draft compensation for Bryce Harper?

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Such a good book...I read it all in a day.

13. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

come on, dallas. sign the deal.

14. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Short answer: it depends on the size of Keuchel’s contract but either a pick after the 1st (early 30s) or the 2nd (late 69/ early 70s).

Medium answer: Under the current CBA, FA compensation draft picks are tied to the contract amount and/or the former club’s revenue/market size. That’s why the Nats will get a 4th rounder for Harper. If Keuchel signs a contract over 50 million in total then Astros get a pick immediately after the 1st. A smaller contract and they get a pick after the 2nd. For more Info see https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-picks-for-2018-19-qualifying-offers-c300535882

15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I don't think this is correct - pretty sure the 50 million dollar threshold for the 1st vs. 2nd round pick only applies to the revenue sharing teams (i.e. small market teams) and the Astros do not belong in that group. See the rule below:

"If the team that loses the player does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the luxury-tax salary threshold the previous season, its compensatory pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B. The value of the player's contract doesn't matter in this case. The 12 clubs that fall into this category are the Angels, Astros, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Mets, Phillies, Rangers, White Sox and Yankees."

16. prospecthugger

This is right. The Nats will lose the pick after the ones they gave up for Corbin. So they would surrender their 3rd and 6th picks after already surrendering their 2nd and 5th.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Some of these players are just lead astray by their agents. Did he really think the market was going to be excited for him?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unless someone gets hurt....pass

mikol13, Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can tolerate catchers that can't hit, but catchers that can't catch, no thanks.

Remix, King1, conquistador#11 and 2 others like this.