1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

Daylight's End - 4/10

Random vampire/zombie movie on Hulu. Action was good but the story was terrible and in the end nothing was accomplished. Main character was a MadMax + vampire/zombie hunter ripoff.

If you're bored and want a zombie based action movie then this is your movie.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

From the "finally got around to watching" category:

Mississippi Burning - 10/10 - so well done that it was really disturbing to watch. Hackman and Dafoe were brilliant. I read that some of the interviews done with the townspeople were actually unscripted. Yikes....

The Right Stuff - 9/10 - this was great but the ending seemed a little anti-climatic. Loved the soundtrack too.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I finally got to see Free Solo, since it's available through Amazon. It was better than I even expected. I'm more in love with his girlfriend.

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Swiss Army Man - 6/10. I liked that it was unusual and unpredictable. I didn't like that the story wasn't really very interesting. If you like weird, this is for you. Summary: Guy is stranded on island. Finds dead guy. Dead guy farts, talks, and gets boners. Things get weird.

5. TheresTheDagger

American Assassin ~ 5 out of 10

Decent action film with a predictable storyline and B grade acting. Too many Hollywood cliche parts with the "Undisciplined rookie agent" to the "Angry, Crazy former good guy turned bad guy" to the "Distrusting, Unimpressed Lead Agent". The action was good though and the story was actually ok till the over the top "big" ending.

Only recommended if you watch it for free like I did on Showtime.

6. conquistador#11

The photographer of Mauthausen: 8.5/10.
    The dialogue is in Spanish and German. An astounding film, gut wrenching and tense. It begins when a new group of those brave Spanish Republicans, who fought franco and fascism get captured by the S.S. You see the film through the aperture lens of Boix, who is an expert at photography and helps develop film negatives for the S.S Photographer.

Mario Casas who has been every cheesy teen/ 20ish rom -com really outdoes himself playing this role.
    I liked it more than Roma and I really liked Roma. Definitely top 4 in ww2 movies of the 2000s for me. I wished they would have a least spent 10 minutes on the Nuremberg trial.
    One of the few times netflix nails the "Because you watched..." section.

now I need to watch this lady gaga movie, i'm late to the party with that one.

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Baseball and Jazz (specifically episode 1 of Jazz) are classics to me. Just awesome.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I rewatch the Baseball one as well. I'm amazed at how much I forget in that each time. I think that's a really cool story and I'll talk about it with my brothers, and then the details start becoming muddled with some of the other stories from the show. Then when I watch the series again, I find five different stories that catch my interest.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just saw Eddie Murphy Delirious on Netflix. I saw this show over 30 years ago at the Astrodome, and man is it worth watching again. 10/10

GRENDEL likes this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

Besides the "p***y falling out my pocket" joke I don't think he can tell any of those jokes in 2019

GRENDEL and Roc Paint like this.
  11. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Free Solo - 10

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Saw Roma last night. 6 out of 10. Sure, interesting to see how housekeepers are treated in Mexico. My wife's mom is from Guatemala and housekeepers are part of the family there too. But a Best Picture candidate? No, not really.

Also saw a movie on Netflix I can wholeheartedly recommend... The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. 9 out 10. Great acting, great (true) story.

13. Buck Turgidson

Oh Holy ****....Here it comes

http://kenburns.com/films/country-music/

(if you can ignore how goofy Marty Stewart looks...)

B-Bob, Os Trigonum and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with this. We just watched Roma last night and by the end my wife and I just looked at each other and said "That's it?". I mean, it was fine, but I don't get all the Oscar hype. And I LOVE Alfonso Cuaron. Gravity and Children of Men are a couple top 15 sci fi movies of all time for me. This one kind of missed the mark. Technically it was great, but the story/plot just didn't really grip me.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watched Free Solo last night ... twice -- I can't ever recall doing that before, but I had to watch the climbing again. I knew I was going to love it, but it exceeded my expectations -- I hope they put out a director's or extened cut just to show us the more of the solo. The tension and sense of awe are off the charts... the 'Boulder Problem' is one of the most intense scenes I've ever watched.

9.6/ 10

peleincubus likes this.
  16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I watched Doctor Mordrid the other day. If you don't know, it's an early 90s movie with Jeffrey Combs in what was supposed to be a Dr. Strange movie, but they lost the license shortly before filming started, so they filed off the serial numbers and proclaimed that it was "Based on an original concept by Charles Band". Haha, yeah right. It's actually pretty good for such a low-budget effort. It sags a bit in the middle with too many scenes of cops walking around the police station, but the pre-CGI-era effects are decent and Combs is always good. Brian Thompson plays Not-Baron Mordo and he's pretty good, too.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

Don't sugarcoat it....it was an awful movie.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Blindspotting- 11/10

Solid directing. Funny as hell. Great perspective from many sides.

HeWhoIsLunchbox likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Apollo 11 documentary: 9/10

Some truly amazing archival footage, some of which has never been shared publicly before.
    Don't think the short sleeves with a necktie look is coming back anytime soon though.

Strangely, some of my favorite parts were just all the crowd shots, of random people from the 1960's who wanted to watch a rocket launch in Florida.

KingCheetah and bobloblaw like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched The Founder last night. excellent biopic about Ray Kroc. 9/10