1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis: "I've still got to play for him, God knows how long"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sup123, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

See, JoeBarelyCares gets it.

Oops, SJC told me to stop posting, my bad. Hope he doesn't punish me.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a great post. I don't know how much is being served continuing to hype the recent problems.

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

At best the title of this thread is reworded and taken out of context. When reading what Steve actually said, the sense is different. I'm not a big fan of Steve, but I don't think there's anything here.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Now that is damn funny. :D

According to Mobley even an NBDL team can beat Phoenix :D I can't just stop laughing. I don't even know what to make of this.....

Just imagine this team

Starting 5
    Mark Jackson
    James Jackson
    Bostjan Nachbar
    Clarence Weatherspoon
    Kelvin Cato

Subs
    Wilks
    Pike
    Padget

So Mobley truely believes this glorified NBDL lineup can beat anybody in SEC? Funny indeed.

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

"It's never going to be over as far as an endpoint," Francis said at Thursday's practice. "He's going to coach the way he wants to coach, and I'm going to play the way I want to play. There's always going to be conflict.

"It's not like we're going to be best friends. There are going to be days when he thinks I should have done this better, and there are going to be days when I think he should have done things better. We both understand that."

I'm not sure what Francis is TRYING to say above...

Francis says, "I going to play the way I want to play." What does that mean? Is Francis suggesting that the old "ISO ball" is what he wants to go back to? The shoot-first, pass second style? Is he promising that the old way of playing will some how bring us success?

I just don't get it. It's not like Francis has anything to BARGAIN with (max-contract, zero play-offs, no title). Nothing! He's had little success under the JVG system and little success under the RUDY system. What is he promising by "playing HIS WAY?"

This guy is not a PG. Please move him to 2. Ok, let him have his "my way." But he wont be distributing the ball anymore. It's not like he efficient at it. So give it up. Francis, our new SG!

If not, trade him. We can't go on like this.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Fight back???

You fight back when you were wronged, not the other way around.

Finally I come to really why someone still can earn money in a supposedly efficient market. Some people are just losers.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Like I've been saying since Monday.

SF is gone.

It's only a question of when.

Raven

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think I'am going to be sick.

Go Astros!!

9. Thanos

Thanos Member

Man, this has gotten completely out of hand.

Freakin unbealievable!

Ship the bum out of town!

I can't believe people are still trying to put a positive spin on his words.

It gets worse every day!

JVG is probably being somewhat light hearted about this in order to protect Steve's trade value.

Have to agree with Raven, now it's just a matter of when he gets moved.

10. Juugie

Juugie Member

You are wrong. You NEVER try the thing in the media. No matter who you are. You keep it all behind closed doors. Never air your dirty laundry. No other coach in the league does this as much as JVG.

And the media is an independant 3rd party. It doesn't belong to players or coaches. And when one of them starts to use it. All bets are off.

You never see Parcells cry to the media about his players. He handles it behind doors. And if you piss him off too much, you're gone. But he NEVER goes to the media crying that so-and-so did this.

Grow up Balky Van Gundy.

Be a man.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

:confused:

The players should just shut up and take it? Whatever. If a coach can't motivate but through the media, he's not a very good coach. And "We have no heart"? That isn't 'outrageous'? After losing by 5 to the best team in the NBA?

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bull****. Phil Jackson does it all the time.

And I would normally agree that using the media should be avoided by a coach as well.

But what you overlook is that Francis has been lying to the media for years. Every year, he tells them stories about how he is going to do this and that.

Even now, he tries to cover up the incident with lies instead of being a man about it, just saying "I messed up" and then everyone moves on.

If JVG lets Francis do that, Francis gets away with his spin doctoring the stories so that he looks good, and he will never change for the better of the team because he is content as long as the general public believes his story.

Therefore, the only way for JVG to get Francis to change is to use the media as well.

13. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

The continuing saga of "The inmates vs. JVG":

After ousting the previous asylum warden, the inmate ring leader and his cronies are now threatening the power and control of the new warden. He's acting out, making up stuff, and telling all who will listen that the living conditions are deplorable.

........stay tuned :rolleyes:

D R

14. farhan007

farhan007 Member

lol, this morning the guys on sports radio 610 were getting all red and steaming. They were complaining about how much of a big deal the fans and media are making out of this. There saying that this is way old.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You may just be on to something here. SF does appear to be following some sort of personal agenda. His Superbowl stunt would appear to indicate that he places his personal interests above that of the Rockets team and organization.

It could very well be that JVG has come in and started throwing cold water on his parade by telling him the truth about the shortcomings in his game. After enjoying 4 straight years of a Houston-SF lickfest that's just not something "The Franchise" would enjoy listening to on a daily basis. Remember, this is a guy who has dazzled many fans (especially those here on this BBS) with his flashy BS. He believes himself to be the "shiznic".

In an ideal world, SF would stand up, accept the responsibility for his error. He'd also have the maturity to try to understand what his coach was attempting to accomplish and why said coach would be asking him to drastically alter his game. For example, I'm sure that MJ was not all that fond of the Triangle offense when it was first presented to him but he made the commitment to work with his coach and we all know what resulted from their collaboration.

Instead, SF's inflated ego looks to be in charge and it is telling him that JVG is out to destroy him personally which, in my opinion, is simply untrue. JVG is pushing SF to make the commitment to become a COMPLETE player and not just a flashy playa who can ball it up on the court. That is not a an altogether unreasonable request yet for some unknown reason, SF has chosen to resist JVGs efforts to make him into a better player and hence you have the terse situation that exists today.

This entire affair is becoming something out of Milton. Let's just hope that JVG and SF somehow manage to avoid the fate that befell Lucifer.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You could not be more wrong about Iverson. AI is not a problem child - he's the toughest competitor in the NBA today. There is no other player who comes to play every night with the determination and tenacity of Iverson. This is a guy who gives 100% effort EVERY night and literally leaves EVERYTHING on the court. If SF played with just a QUARTER of AI's heart and desire, this would not be the mediocre team that it is today.

No, Francis WANTS to win but he's just not willing to do what it takes to win. He wants to enjoy the fame that comes from winning without having to make the sacrifice that is required to become a champion and that's why you end up the events of this past week.

17. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

HillBoy,

Agree - see my above "inmate summary."

In this case the power is with the warden. The ringleader sets the tone for his peers - things aren't copasthetic in Happy Valley right now. Unless SF agrees to "shut up and play," he might be a teammate of Lucifer.

D R

18. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

I agree. I liked the guy, but now he's gotta go.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

What this team needs right now is Barkey to come back an an interim assistant coach and full time ego ass kicker. Steve needs a big brother ass whipping right about now.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Keep the waters calm until it's time (Aug) - that should be JVG side job now. Winning is his focus but long term winning is better than short term winning and for us to get the most bang for the buck, Steve can't be traded until August.

I do agree that the Rockets could use Barkley as a coach. I think he'd make a much better assistant than Patrick.