1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What happens when we don't need laborers anymore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockbox, May 27, 2016.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

well there will always be the big beautiful $5B vanity wall to build for @dachuda86 and the 30%ers

then after that no one gonna take the 30%ers jerbs

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hey, I have a thread stalker. Is this because I called you an NPC who only uses the same three lines? Like 30%er?

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, not to worry. Green New Deal's got you covered. You'd fall under the "unable to work" category:

economic security.jpeg

justtxyank likes this.
  4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think vast majority of the jobs today can be automated by robotic AI, unless there are new types of jobs created that current do not exist, humans will have nothing to do in 30-50 years, maybe quicker than that. As for coding, not everyone is able to code and AI will be able code in the future as well, what then. Even soldiers will be AI robots by then.

Let's say we get some kind of universal living allowance for everyone on the planet(big if), what will happen to human race in a few centuries when all they know how to do is eat sleep and play?

ryan_98 likes this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, the future of AI and human job security is a bit scary. Especially since most people live pay check to pay check and are financially irresponsible.

ryan_98 likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

HG Wells had some thoughts on this topic. :D

jcf likes this.
  7. pirc1

IMO the only way for humans to progress in the future is improve the human genes with DNA manipulation and/or combine with AI to form cyborgs in the future. If that happens, maybe literally sky is is the limit for mankind as we conquer the planets in this galaxy.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

Ironic considering your entire ideology is built on catchphrases.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe. I kind of think HG Wells might have been closer to the probable outcome.

[​IMG]

10. pirc1

Or that. :) Just glad we won't be around to see it I think. Unless AI or global warming take care of mankind within my life time.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Oh, please tell me what my "ideaology" is. Because I'm sure you've read all my posts and you actually know me on a personal level. Go on.

12. Spooner

Spooner Member

"triggered"

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

funny coming from the little spoon

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kurtzgesagt is one of my favorite YouTube channels. They explain everything plainly and clearly with nice cartoony videos. Highly recommended for everybody who is alive:

ThatBoyNick and B-Bob like this.
  15. jcf

jcf Member

My guess: there will be a higher percentage of the population suffering from severe clinical depression and a lack of self-worth.

I know and admire those who are able to separate themselves and their feeling of self-worth from their jobs. Others derive a lot of their satisfaction from a job well done, being useful -- whatever the job is.

No idea, but my guess is that a large percentage of even those who don't link their self-worth or identity to their jobs may feel worse about themselves if all they are doing is "eating, sleeping and playing."

I also wonder whether AI will start making "parenting" easier and whether that is actually a good thing or not.

(Where is that cloud I want to yell at?)

Any of y'all read Jack Williamson and his version of what could happen when AI spreads to "serve" humanity? Gave me the chills.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Cucked Snowflake Trumpet

17. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

During any time of transformative and innovative change like the 1800's industrial revolution if you were a local baker, tailor, a butcher, blacksmith or various other professions your job was completely disrupted by large industry.

Did that permanently destroy employment? Did laws need to be created to give people money for nothing? No.

It just created more jobs in other areas not thought of yet. Just as the steelworker in the midwest was disrupted, the economy is in a
    constant creative destruction that breaks industries and in their path creates new ones with new jobs. Yes it hits certain people very
    directly and they feel the brunt when they're displaced but one cannot slow progress.

Think of a Pharmacist in which they used to use animal fat to make soaps, then P&G comes up with nice smelling Ivory soap.
    The pharmacists tried to outlaw it saying it didn't clean as well as their custom made animal fat soaps, but that would have impeded
    progress while helping them in the short run.

In England in the 1800's the textile workers were vehemently against machines (where the term Luddite came from) and made laws with their
    large worker guilds and unions to limit the use of these technologies. That ended up eventually killing the textile industry, the steel industry and many others as they thought that by not innovating they could somehow save themselves. it may help temporarily but its just dragging out death of an industry and profession.

But new ones will spring, (whoever thought you could be an influencer?) and many we haven't even thought of yet and it will all be ok.

Don't need government big brother to give us all free money.

BruceAndre likes this.
  18. pirc1

You do not realize what AI means, it means they can learn and do just about anything. If generalized AI is developed soon, everyone will be out of a job in no time at all. If singularity is realized, human race might be done unless we evolve far beyond what we are today as a race.

19. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

In the late 1800's it was that a machine could do anything a worker could physically do, now AI can do the functions of basic humans.

Humans in the 1800's had to learn to be more than muscle to lift things and in the 2000's they must be more than repetitive actions or basic research that a computer can do.

We can't slow progress for those left behind.

20. pirc1

If you are not too old, just sit back and watch, see what happens in 10-15 years, this time is totally different from anytime previous. Of course it might be dawn instead of doom, but the odds are not good in my opinion at this moment.