1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets go after Van Exel in the offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Feb 4, 2004.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

2. fatman510

fatman510 Member

nahh I'll pass on another score first point guard.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NVE has an $11.8m player option for 2004-05. It would probably cost Cato or Taylor + half of the ~$6.9m TE. IMO, there are much better values out there. Well, unless the Francis as a SG diehards amongst us want to trade Mobley and the whole TE to have a back court of NVE and Francis....no thanks IMO.

4. GATER

OK, if I understand it Van Exel is not taking his huge option and might play for someones' MLE. Change my answer to "maybe" depending upon what bigs may be available for the MLE and what trades the Rox may pull off.

5. GATER

Stupid Gater should read articles first....

"Van Exel thus has only one season of guaranteed money left on his contract after this season. He has an option to terminate the contract this summer and become a free agent but admits that he probably can't afford to opt out, saying, "I gave up a lot of money already"."

NO.

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

If NVE decides to NOT use his option, i would consider it. he has the heart, the desperate desire to win. As much as we need a good pass firtst PG, we need clutch more. And he provides that. And it can be contagious. It was in LA, it was in Dallas. Remember all those minutes in the 4th quarter we spend choking away a lead over and over.....not with Nick the quick. I am not saying we should definitely go for him. But we should at least consider him. If not for any other reason than for him putting a hurting on Dallas every time we see them! ;) :cool:

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Like ya'll said, it's all about the $$$. I'm sure he would love to come play in Houston, since he lives here. But he said he needs $$ and we don't have much to offer him.

8. amed

amed Contributing Member

The Rockets should bring in Van exel no matter what the price is. Trade Cat and Cato, or something to match the Salaries. Can we work out a three way deal that could send us both Van exel and Sheed Wallace? Trade Who ever on this Rockets team except for YAO, JJ, and Francis. With Van exel and steve in the same back court the team would be unstoppable. Van exel would be perfect on this team beacuse he in the guy who wants to take the shots late in the game and isn't afraid when things are going bad. He and JJ would be the only ones with heart on this team. Do it trade for van exel now.

9. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Do this in the off season!

Houston trades: SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.2 apg in 39.5 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.2 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 27.3 minutes)
    PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.9 apg in 39.7 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Troy Murphy (7.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 0.6 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    C Erick Dampier (12.0 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 0.7 apg in 32.2 minutes)
    PG Nick Van Exel (13.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.8 apg in 33.5 minutes)
    SF Mike Dunleavy (12.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.8 apg in 31.7 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +6.9 ppg, +9.4 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Golden State trades: PF Troy Murphy (7.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 0.6 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    C Erick Dampier (12.0 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 0.7 apg in 32.2 minutes)
    PG Nick Van Exel (13.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.8 apg in 33.5 minutes)
    SF Mike Dunleavy (12.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.8 apg in 31.7 minutes)
    Golden State receives: SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.2 apg in 47 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.2 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 46 games)
    PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.9 apg in 46 games)
    Change in team outlook: -6.9 ppg, -9.4 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

:D

10. amed

amed Contributing Member

I like the deal proposed by MLC1MGC2ALC3. Eventhough the Rockets are giving up thier best player in SF they are getting good talent in return. Dawson should pull the trigger on this deal today.

11. Raven

Raven Member

12. buddry

buddry Member

Yeah, lets trade for half the Warriors team....they are doing so well this year.

13. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

If Mark Jackson leaves take Van Exel.

If Van Gundy and Mark Jackson arent ready to end their love affair then dont bother.

I am guessing Mark Jackson will be a Rocket for another 1 or 2 seasons.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

He just wants to play with his buddies Steve Francis and Cuttino.

15. GATER

He won't. Most NBA beat writers expect him to replace Mike Jarvis as the Head Basketball Coach at Jackson's Alma Mater - St. John's.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why is everybody reading that article wrong? It says after next season he's either coming to Texas or retiring. Not after this season. He isn't a free agent until after the 04-05 season.

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Mark Jackson is a great point guard but Van Exel has defense with great shooting skills. He can run the floor and he loves Htown. Dallas won't take him and San Antonio just land Ward, not only that, Van Exel like to play with dominant center. I really think that if the Lakers fired Harris long before the trade Van Exel they could of gotten another title back then..

Van Exel = A+ Pick for the Rocks!!!!