1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

its time to see where everyone stands now: trade him or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Feb 3, 2004.

Tags:
?

do you want steve traded?

1. yes

321 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. no

131 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

please post the reason why you voted the way you did.

2. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

5 years = 0 playoffs

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I voted yes but I don't see it happening realistically.

4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Don't think it can happen until August 26th, 2004 if you want to get the full value after his BYC deadline expires.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

oh please...you might as well start a thread on whether or not Michael Jackson needs child welfare counselling...

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I voted yes because I think his perceived value (outside of this website) is higher than his actual value. We have an almost clone in Mobley (Mobley has the same poor decision making skills, the same predisposition towards one on one play, same poor court vision, slightly less athleticism and somewhat better defensive skills) at almost a third of the cost. I hate to see that much salary tied up in a such an incomplete....albeit athletic....player.

Francis is an upper tier role player....just like Mobley....and he should be paid accordingly.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Can we get Jamison for him, now?

DD

8. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I would say no, although as much as disappointed as I am with his performance. The suspension should be as a fine for SF to pay for turning his team down, and it should be as a tone JVG set - team comes first. But we can not waive every chance for a player when he makes mistakes, even for SF:) For the past, we simply allow him to do anything he wanted because he's our star player. That is totally wrong, just because he's our star player, couches should have had higher standard for him, coz he's supposed to lead. So bench him, when he doesn't follow tactic; suspend him, when he "misses" flights. But not to trade him, coz you still want the best out of him. To trade your max player, you can only get less, the only difference in actual trades is how much less. If you want to trade him, for whom? Do you think you can get Nash or Kobe? No way.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't know...since Dallas has no need for Francis and Houston has no need for Jamison, why not?

10. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

i say keep steve and yao and trade everyone else.

11. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Francis not on the block . . .yet: Rumors that the Rockets were ready to ship Steve Francis out of town got a huge boost on Monday when coach Jeff Van Gundy revealed that Francis intentionally missed a team flight to Phoenix so that he could attend the Super Bowl in Houston. However, his agent, Jeff Fried, claimed that Francis wasn't at the Super Bowl but instead stayed in Houston to attend "to an urgent personal family matter."
    Steve Francis
    Point Guard
    Houston Rockets

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    46 16.6 5.6 5.9 .395 .750

Friend's statement sent Van Gundy through the roof. "I talked to Steve," Van Gundy told the Houston Chronicle. "He was in the parking lot of the Super Bowl. We had a long discussion about him thinking it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and me talking about the commitment to the team.

"I know what the truth is. Steve knows what the truth is. Everyone involved knows what the truth is. That's up to them if they want to try to spin it a certain way. Everyone knows what happened. What agents say doesn't have any bearing.

"I talked to him last night. He disagreed with the (suspension) decision vehemently. He just thinks it was the wrong decision."

This is just the latest incident for Francis, who has struggled to adapt to Van Gundy's more conservative inside-out offense. Francis' numbers are at all-time lows and he's been complaining about how the team uses him. Van Gundy has been equally unhappy with what he perceives as selfish play by Francis. That's inspired a host of published rumors that Francis could be on his way out of Houston.

The problem with the rumors is that Francis is a base-year player this season. Even though he earns roughly $11 million, his team could take back only $5.5 million in return if he were traded. That makes him virtually impossible to trade unless he's sent to a team with cap room or a much larger, multi-team trade were to go down.

Furthermore, Van Gundy insists that he wants Francis to remain a Rocket for a long time.

"Everyone involved -- me and him, in particular -- knows exactly what happened, and that's it," Van Gundy said. "In those situations, it is never an easy conversation. He was upset about my decision about his decision. It's not the first time a coach and player had a disagreement about decision-making, and it won't be the last.

"When you get a situation like this, you deal with it, you say you were wrong, and you move on. Steve has obviously been our best player. He's a reason I came (to Houston). There's not a problem between me and him."

Still, if the Rockets don't find a way to get Francis and Yao Ming to co-exist, don't be shocked if the Rockets at least explore trade options for Francis when his base-year status expires on August 26th. Francis is still considered one of the most talented combo guards in the league, and a combo of Francis and Cuttino Mobley could land the Rockets a more traditional point guard and a bigger sharp-shooting two guard in return.

this is a small exerpt from insider. if its a problem posting it here, go ahead and delete it, sorry ahead of time.

12. AlexVanderpool

yes - but only if we can fill holes with it...

ex:

Francis and Mobley
    for
    TJ Ford, Michael Redd, and either Desmond Mason or Brian Skinner

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Don't forget the trade exception too....

DD

14. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Using common-sense, what you said was true. THe great thing is, not all GMs use common-sense. I still can't believe Milwaukee traded Ray Allen and Ronald Murray for GP last year when they already had Cassell. Marginal teams will often make risky deals. Would Seattle give up Rashard and Brent Barry for SF? How about 3 or 4 players from the Grizzlies?? Otherwise, the only way to get value for Stevie is to trade him for another "wore-out-his-welcome" player. Maybe Rasheed Wallace? Or Nick Van Exel and a couple of other Warriors?

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Steve has no commitment to winning. Five years, no playoffs. We have come close. But close don't cut it none.

Look at Steve's comments over time. Before this season: Utah will be out of the playoffs, so that's our spot (assuming we would automatically be there). JVG's not going anywhere, I'm not going anywhere. And look at this last week. The Super Bowl was a horrible influence on our young unmarried Rockets. Boys will be boys. But these boys are making millions of dollars to play a game for a living, and their main player's bile is seeping down to infect the rest of the team.

I know Steve has tried to make it work. Cut the ties now. Let ESPN follow his dunks as he oohs and aahs the hometown Wizards, his 3rd team. Let us get players who know how to play with and trust other players.

He never received proper coaching; he is always going to be a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants Iverson sort of player. Which ain't bad. As long as it's for another team.

If we keep him, we slide further in the West. Denver is already tearing it up and will have cap space to boot. Phoenix will have cap space and will re-load. Even Utah has that chance what with a plethora of draft picks and cap space to swing deals.

All we'll be left with is a headstrong PG who wants to be out of here anyway. Now is the time. Strike when the iron is hot. Move Steve and Mo/Cato and you will see how much we can imrpove the team.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why Jamison? I'm not impressed with him as a premier player. Career 46% shooter and 7.3 rebounds. He's decent, but not a guy you build aroound.

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

It's a total cop-out I know, but I am still undecided. It's still possible that Steve re-thinks, re-cants, and reforms. Unlikely, perhaps, but that would be our best option. If I had to bet what will likely be the best realistic option, that would be predicated on the fact that the comments about Steve being incensed about his suspension are accurate, in which case he's not getting it, and likely never will. If that's so...trade him.

But I still think it's too early in this thing to know for sure what Steve's reaction is, in the cold light of day. It is still possible, however unlikely, for this to be an abberation for which he will sincerely apologize to this teammates and coach. But I'm not exactly holding my breath...

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

marco jaric, elton brand and #1 pick for
    francis and taylor

pull the trigger

forget my sig

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Whats your facination with Jamison? he is a decent player, but no cornerstone to a franchise. Not saying Steve is either, but i think on a team overall, especially ours, Steve definitely has a bigger impact. besides, he would be a tweener on our team. He cant knock down the 3 ball if he plays small forward, and he would get abused even worse than Cato and Mo as a power forward. i have seen u post this before and i just dont see why you r facinated with Jamison.....

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

this is just a bad time for this pole. of course, u already know the results even before u started it. its one sided. he just made a bonehead move, of course people will vote yes. is it forgivable if he comes back, leads us to a 4 game winning streak before the all star break? maybe. i think this pole should've been taken around the all star break. That way Steve can explain what happened, maybe apologize to his teamates, get back on the court......people might vote more rationally after the situation is calmed down a bit:cool: