1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VA Gov Northam blackface photo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I guess we will see about that.

2. Major

Major Member

He wasn't granted it - he was voted into this.

That said, are we at the level of "seriously racist past" based on this photo? From his wikipedia page, it appears he grew up on a farm next to a town that currently has 1,200 people, went to a predominantly black high school and was voted "most likely to succeed" by his classmates. As I pointed out previously, blackface doesn't appear to have been quite as universally disgusting then as it now (UB40 - that video would never get made today). Without knowing anything about him or his career, it could very well be a case of just being an ignorant guy living in the rural deep south.

This is a good example, I think. In some cases, there is psychology that argues that people are potentially wired this way (pedophilia, etc) and justifies these kinds of limits. But I think Democrats, in general, would argue against a lifelong scarlet letter for, say, statutory rape that involved consensual sex between a 17 yr old and 15 yr old that gets classified as "sex offender" at the same level as rapist or a child predator. There are degrees of all things, and it's these universally blanket statements that destroy lives - this seems like the type of criminal justice things Democrats fight against.

#42 Major, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does this damage how African American Virginians feel about the government of their state?

That should be what matters. That is what should determine how to proceed. If it appreciably damages the relationship between African American Virginians and their state government, it is an issue.

#43 Ottomaton, Feb 1, 2019
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

As for Northam, he should resign for the infanticide stuff which was horribly disgusting, but not this.

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

You presented a scenario, not Northam. You literally said you were talking about a hypothetical scenario. For instance, last I checked Northam never abused women. No one has even slightly accused him of abusing women. Why did I put that then? I put that because you were presenting a scenario.

If someone is voted in then they are being granted something by the public. I stated my position is that this 'hypothetical person' should never be allowed to be granted a paid position to represent people. I believe they should be disqualified from a vote. The reason that is my position is because the people victimized by this person is the minority. I don't care if the majority want this person, this person should never be allowed to be paid representing people they personally victimized.

If they want to volunteer their services for the greater good of society then I'll give an applause.

Saying all that, since you now want to talk about Northam. My position is I think he needs to resign.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

hard for me to feel relative outrage at this when the guy wants to legalize killing newborns

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Can't believe that some people are okay with this.

I bet those people are patronizing white folks who can rationalize this because there's a "D" next his name.

Disgusting.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Do you actually believe the guy is racist? What racist policies as he advocated (besides the infanticide stuff)?

Or do you think he made a stupid choice decades ago not realizing how offensive it was?

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I wouldn't say he didn't realise, no one much cared if people were offended 30 years ago (or 60 years ago, or 100 years ago or 2000 years ago), since people had real concerns back then.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here's my hot take that everybody is waiting for.

I supported Perriello in the Va Primary in 2017, but was happy with Northam.

I think the biggest problem for Northam s that Virginia is a lot more solidly blue now than it was believed to be 18 months ago.

Remember on election day, people who were still shell shocked from 2016 thought Gillespie was going to win...instead it was a blowout mercy rule win for the Dems and the state only trended bluer since.

Northam is termed out and is now basically just an albatross. I don't think he was viewed as a rising star anyway, his logical next move was Senator but....the bench in VA is way too deep for that and the VA repubs are a bunch of neo confederate dipshits, so not really much need for a nominal moderate. Especially one who took a picture like that.

It's hard but like with Al Franken, standing on principle has costs. Thats how you show you mean it.

The best thing Northam can do now is probably resign. I get that he has tacitly tried to atone for this and I respect it. I just don't think it's worth the trouble of having him around for 3 more years. I know its unfair because 30 years ago in VA this was all just fine....but life is not fair. Northam will recover his rep, he seems like a good enough guy.

Meanwhile VA is edging toward a blue trifecta. Let's keep going that way.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Well I know for certain a republican would not get a pass in any shape or form so it is what it is, you have to practice what you preach. Now saying that we should also hold politicians with ties to Farrakahn accountable.

#51 mick fry, Feb 1, 2019
  12. TheresTheDagger

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because he is one. He is 100% "rascist". Also he ran a bunch of full on racist ads. Because he thought it would help him win.

I hope he runs again in 2021.

We will beat his ass again.

14. TheresTheDagger

15. Buck Turgidson

Where did you grow up, out of curiosity?

16. Major

Major Member

More Democratic officials have called on Northam to resign in the last 12 hours than GOPers have called on Steve King - an active, unrepentant racist - to resign in the past 16 years that he's been in Congress.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - my hypothetical was "So let's say someone was raised in backwoods America and abused women or did blackface. And then as he grew older, he learned and became better." Your response to that hypothetical was "Yes. Anyone who has committed the crime of abusing women, or whom has a seriously racist past". I took that to mean that you think "did blackface" was "a seriously racist past" so I made the connection to what Northam did. If that's not correct, I apologize. I agree that degree matters and the more vile the past is, the higher the bar to overcome it.

18. TheresTheDagger

I'm a bit younger than you but grew up in the 70's and 80's. Where I grew up, I would have attributed this to stupid kids trying to "impress" their college drinking buddies by being funny more than real racism. Is it stupid and completely immature? Yes. Does it speak to a lack of judgement on their part at an age they should know better? Probably. Does it prove they had or have a racist heart? No, I don't believe it does. Do I think they had ANY idea how much this type of thing could damage their lives later on? Absolutely not....because young, dumb men don't think that far ahead.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

maybe he is just going as a coal miner.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao COME ON.

How can you type that in all seriousness without realizing how silly that statement is.

Of course this man knew how offensive it was, how in the hell would he not?? That's a grown ass man posing with a klan member in blackface...

I'm pretty sure racism was still a very ****ed up and real part of society in the 80's... if not more so (you know, segregation was just a stones throw back)... I do not buy he didn't know what he was doing for a second, and just can't believe one would try to sell it.

What other purpose is it to dress up like that besides TO BE offensive (in a dark comedic type manner)? That's REALLY the only excuse that can be made for this, comedy, and it's not a great one for someone in his position.