1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis suspended one game for missed flight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by morganmanor, Feb 2, 2004.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks, that's interesting. I'll take back the mean things I said about Van Gundy and give kudos to him for being flexible about the game. Obviously, his players still couldn't physically attend, but it makes him look better that they could watch it. I still don't see this as demonstrative that Francis doesn't care about the team, has no regard for his coach or that he only thinks about himself. I think this -- as all things Francis -- is being way out of proportion to demonize the scapegoat-du-jour. He skipped a flight, received a pretty typical and appropriate punishment, and life will continue. I don't think this will prove to be a watershed event in the Van Gundy-Francis era.

2. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

Super Bowl decision costs Rockets' Francis
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

PHOENIX -- Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis was suspended for tonight's game against the Phoenix Suns for skipping the team flight to Phoenix Sunday so he could attend the Super Bowl at Reliant Stadium

Rockets' head coach Jeff Van Gundy said Francis "made a bad decision to miss the plane, to go the Super Bowl without telling me."

"He made a decision, I feel it was the wrong one. I made a decision based on his decision," Van Gundy said of the one-game suspension.

Francis, selected to start a third consecutive All-Star game, is averaging 16.6 points, 5.9 assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game. He will be replaced in the Rockets starting lineup by veteran guard Mark Jackson.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Francis: "I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that and I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do, I honestly do. But we're talking about team flight, man. What are we talking about? Team flight? We're talking about team flight, man? [Laughter] We're talking about team flight. We're talking about team flight. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about team flight, man. When you come in the arena and you see me play... you see me play, don't you?"

Reporter: "Absolutely."

Francis: "You see me give everything I got, right?"

Reporter: "Absolutely."

Francis: "But we're talking about team flight right now."

Reporter: "But it's an issue that you're..."

Francis: "We're talking about..."

Reporter: "It's an issue raised."

Francis: "Man, look, I hear you. It's funny to me, too. It's strange to me, too. But we're talking about team flight, man. We're not even talking about the game. The actual game. When it matters. We're talking about team flight."

4. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

How the hell didi you get Steve's contract down to the last cent? :eek:

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Would someone please quote the article on here? That might make things a little mroe clear.

:rolleyes:

6. Donatello

Donatello Member

LOL

Too bad that SF doesn't even show up in games...

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

$10,067,750 divided by 82 games. Or $3,069.44 per minute for a 40 minute appearance. :D :(

8. farhan007

farhan007 Member

the " Only thing francis can do is jump" is getting old. Thats pure ignorance

9. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Where's the entire interview, Easy? This makes my blood boil.

10. farhan007

farhan007 Member

he watched the super bowl dawg!!!

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

No, just a spoiled brat. That's all.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You are about to have an embarrassing moment.

13. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Anyone reading this board knows that I am not among those Rockets fans that hold Steve Francis in the highest regard. With that said, I'm not sure I would choose to pile on in this incident. I get the fact that Francis is one of the highest paid players in the NBA, that he is supposed to be the team's leader always, especially now when the team has lost three straight. Still, I view yesterday's Super Bowl as a once in a lifetime event for the city of Houston and can understand Francis' willingness to shun his duties to the Rockets short of skipping a game in order to take in the spectacle as a Houston V.I.P. Now I would have notified the Rockets of my plans beforehand even if I knew they would not have approved.

14. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

How's that? I want to see if there's a link to video and the context of the interview. If that's the entire text of the interview, fine.

15. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Look, I don't care who it was that missed the flight. It was wrong. Period. Especially when all he had to do was work it out with the coach.

Rules are rules and Francis has been in the league long enough to know better. And considering the microscope he is under by the Rockets fans, he should have known better.

Like JVG said, he made a bad decision. And now he has to pay for it. I hope it was worth it for him. If we lose tonight, then this little debate gets way more intense.

Juan,
    I'm surprised by your stance. Rules are rules, man. Steve is the only one who decided to break them. Big boo-hoo if he had to miss the SuperBowl. That's not what he gets paid to do. He's a professional basketball player. Like all of us, he's got a job to do. Last I checked, the SuperBowl aways happens in the middle of basketball season. This is not a JVG thing. It's a team thing. Steve put himself before the team and now he must pay for it. Like I said, I hope it was worth it for him.

On a lighter note....

If I was Cat, I'd be pissed! It's one thing to blow off the team for the SuperBowl, but how dare he not take his best bud.

16. farhan007

farhan007 Member

The fans in this board want sheed...

Yet since francis missed ONE game his whole carrear becasue of missing a flight, he is automaticly a thug...

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Because it's not a real interview.... it's a spoof of Allen Iverson's "practice" rant a few years back.

http://cubecow.com/alex/iverson.htm

18. farhan007

farhan007 Member

wait, i saw him in that nets game???

19. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

Could you tell me where you found the info about the departure time?

20. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

That good question.