1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

An interesting pairing. I will admit while I really respect Warren I prefer more centrist candidates. Though a VP can have two roles... likable, agreeable, works well with congress, or "tough", "attack-oriented", bad cop to the President's "good cop" (especially during the campaign). Warrens years of experience would be invaluable to a newbie like O'Rourke. As would her east coast liberalism.

Me... Id rather be a the chairman of the Senate Banking committee. Or maybe the Secretary of the Treasury. To be honest, I'd really like Biden as VP candidate. A Klobuchar/Biden ticket would be interesting.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is probably a way of getting around changing the top income rate and those that pay less because of capital gains. Sounds pretty good.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

A wealth tax has long been considered unconstitutional. Considereing the makeup of the Supreme Court, it would likley require a Constitutional Amendment to be enacted.

Higher income tax rates are much easier to accomplish in the near future.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Richard Rubin's piece on Warren's proposal in today's WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democr...rich-households-11548369037?mod=hp_listb_pos1

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Tax the rich too much and watch them move. Happened in France.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

A brief comment from Dave Schuler that echoes your point about the constitutional questions and predicts other undesirable effects.

http://theglitteringeye.com/warrens-tax-proposal/

11. Senator

Senator Member

One of many sharp and realistic proposals by Warren.

It's telling that libs obsessed with reality tv prefer to talk about aoc over Warren, the person who would actually help the 99%. Do aoc fans just need a gf?

12. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

And reversing the estate tax repeal with a much more aggressive sliding scale/loop hole elimination as you go up in inheritance.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Awww poor millionaires and billionaires. Life is so hard.

At least liberals are becoming less and less afraid to have an honest discussion about Redistribution of wealth. When they’ve skirted around this issue for decades out of fear of the right wing media saying “they want to raise YOUR taxes”, they played right into the hands of the right who wants to make the Dems avoid this topic altogether.

Like the majority of Americans who were recently polled by Fox, I support AOC’s proposal for her 70% tax on people making over 10 million in a year. I need to read up on Warrens proposal and see if it also makes sense.

I won’t shed a tear for the poor and abused 1%. When I get to 9 Million myself I’ll call you.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

on the unconstitutionality of Elizabeth Warren's wealth tax

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elizabeth-warrens-unconstitutional-wealth-tax-11548442306

16. NewRoxFan

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

your question was about a Democratic party "veering sharply to the left." There's plenty of evidence, dating back to Bernie's popularity several years ago and others currently picking up the Bernie flag and running with it. Not sure why that's hard to see.

18. NewRoxFan

Since I am not a Bernie fan. I wouldn't vote for him, didn't vote for him (and neither did most Democrats), won't vote for him (and just as likely most Democrats won't in 2020). Like I said... get back to me when the candidate is chosen, and when the official policy statements come out, and when campaign planks get communicated.

meanwhile... I will worry about how the republican party has swung even further right. There's this guy named steve king I keep hearing about... ;)

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Liz is for the little people

20. Senator

Senator Member

Nice, warren is spot on here.

All the wealthy have to do is pay tax and social problems plaguing the low increase me or even slower members of society, some of them on here, will reduce two to threefold.