1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have NBA Fans lost trust and given up on the NBA Product

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Stepback3GOOD, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

Last year i remember being so disgusted with NBA Refs during the western conference finals game 6 and game 7. They completely robbed Houston of going to the finals. And it was blatant

I did not have an account on clucthfans yet, but i was reading and skimming the site and it seems a lot of people here felt the same as I and said they will still watch the NBA but only rockets games from time to time

Now we fast forward to today, and I truly believe that the rockets slow start had a lot to do with the rigged series againist the warriors last year. In the mind of a rockets player its almost like you are almost coming into the new season with a defeatist mindset. The league would not allow Harden to take down 4 all-stars and then go on to beat LeBron in the finals. It would have destroyed the NBA power structure and be forced to change where people in the media( cough doug gottlieb and max kellerman) placed James Harden in the modern NBA hierarchy. Harden would be seen in a more heroic light by leading his team past the warriors without the help of his injured comrade and possibly beating Lebron in the finals

The result of last years warriors/rockets series has had a negative effect on the NBA brand, tv ratings are down all across the board, fan attendance is down, and intrest in the NBA just in general is not as high as it was 2 years ago. I know people in the media are blaming LeBrons move to the west, but i dont think thats the issue. I think the rockets/warriors series last year was the most watched nba tv series on cable network history. And it left a black eye on the NBA that the NBA is still trying to recover from

----------------------------------------

NBA Ratings Down in 2019 significantly

https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/nba-ratings-down-tnt-espn-lebron.html

https://sportsradiopd.com/nba-ratings-down-this-season/

#1 Stepback3GOOD, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    pippsux, 92i, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun care about their brand or merchandise.

The Golden Dynasty or State of Mind will crumble one day.

3. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

I dunno man, prior to last year i would watch almost nba team that was playing on national tv especially if they were from the western conference. Now i could care less, even if the rockets were on top of the west i would be feeling the same way. For me its rockets or bust, If the rockets arent playing im not watching the NBA all that much period anymore

I dont know about you, but last year showed me why the mlb for all of its warts is leaps and bounds better than the NBA when it comes to integrity. Would the umps allow the astros to beat the sox, yankees and dodgers in the 2017 postseason if it was scripted. By the way I gotta say even the mlb hall of fame is better than the nba's version. I mean would the baseball equivalent of tracy mcgrady get in the mlb hall of fame. I doubt it

Bearded13, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

A lot of us on here actually called that. Reducing parity is never a good thing for the NBA. The problem is the effects are only seen with a year lag, so it’s easy for morons and nba people with an agenda to claim that parity had no causative relationship with revenue/ratings.

The NBA product has been severely damaged basically since Silver was appointed. The rockets series was just a culmination of poor narrative writing and worse decision making.

pippendagimp and clutchdabear like this.
  5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Im pleasantly surprised to see that ratings are down, it only took 5 damn years but I guess at some point people get bored of the same bullshit every year.

Which is why the league will rig/script a Lakers-Celtics finals ;)

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea
    and
    I think the NFL is worse

Rocket River

7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Both being **** isn't mutually exclusive

ramotadab and clutchdabear like this.
  8. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I don't believe this honestly, I would like to but I just can't. The NBA had more to gain from a Rockets/Cavs Finals then a Warriors/Cavs Finals. More people believed the Cavs had a better chance of taking down the Rockets then the Warriors, even though the Rockets were the better team, people felt like it was more evenly matched. Plus Harden vs. Lebron would have made for a more compelling matchup.

The Hunted likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

great analysis of game 6..how come i didnt see this video posted anywhere before

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If there is indeed a conspiracy by the NBA to protect Golden State to make the sport more popular, then they are totally misguided. Nothing kills the enthusiasm for watching a sport more than knowing that a certain team is going to win the championship before the season even starts.

Two things that make spectator sports so intriguing:
    (1) The possibility of an underdog winning it all
    (2) The clash between two or more equal powers

The Hunted and rocks123 like this.
  11. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Please change title to "Have Clutch fans lost trust and given up on Morey's product?"

BamBam likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not sure if these 2 things is true.. perhaps for a true sport lover...occasional viewers only want the popular guys to crush the opposition

13. MystikArkitect

I think people are starting to get wise. I don’t know if the refs have always been this bad or if the age of social media makes it seem worse than it is.

I’m relegating myself to the fact that if the NBA wants the Rockets to win, they will win. I’m no longer emotionally investing myself in something that’s so obviously slanted. The Durant thing was egregious. The Sixers game was hilarious. I don’t believe the NBA is out to get the Rockets as the Harden 27 FT game can attest. I just think that there are days they want the Rockets to win and they will win on those days.

Last years playoffs really opened my eyes to that.

pippendagimp and Richie_Rich like this.
  14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

That Sixers game was a joke - people will say they got blown out another 15 fts wouldn't have mattered!! Of course it would have these FTs would have came when the game was closer allowing the Rockets to 1) not let a 8 point lead balloon to 18 quickly and 2) force the Sixers to play more in half court sets when the Rockets have their defense set versus in easier buckets and looks in transition.

What bugs me probably the most about the officiating and the Sixers game is evidence of this is inconsistency. And there are two types of this IMO. One in game where one team gets called for contact that the other team does not get called for. Like Faried's T for slapping the backboard after a dunk (a fairly common thing) and then Brewer swinging and hanging on the rim not called for a T.

But also inconsistency across games as well. I think its horrible for the sport that the idea of "well this ref crew is letting them play tonight" has to exist. There will be some differences in how particular ref teams may call games since no one is the same but there are wild inconsistencies from one team to another. The NBA can easily fix that it shouldn't be left up to the players to adjust how they play night in and night out. The NBA needs to make sure there is a baseline that all the referees call games to. Players being able to know that Ref A calls a game a certain way is also bad because as referee tendencies and biases are known they can be manipulated by players which is never a good thing.

clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Precisely, I think it’s important to maintain perspective. I don’t mind “looks like they’re letting them play tonight”, that’s fair. Refereeing is objective just like being a Judge or a Teacher. Some are more lenient while others are sticklers.

The issue with the NBA is that it’s very often inconsistent towards one team at any given time. I’m sorry but seeing a team in the penalty 5 minutes into a quarter completely changes the complexity of the game. They can drive more, the defense has to back off of them for fear of getting a foul called, etc. It’s just weird. And you never EVER see BOTH teams in the penalty early. It’s always just one. During the WCF there were specific games where the Rockets were getting away with everything, then the next quarter the script completely changes.

I don’t believe every game is rigged. I think some are legitimately rigged, and any game with high stakes (if there’s a lot of action on it) will be heavily influenced by ref calls.

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, I was upset enough with the NBA after that WCF nonsense to give up on the league this year, and the Rockets' poor start made giving up easy (and I've NEVER been anything close to a fair weather fan)... but Harden's historic run combined with the parity across the NBA (though the stupid Warriors look like they're getting their mojo back) got me interested enough to start watching games again, as much as I kinda hate my myself for it. Maybe that run was all part of The Man's plan to suck me back in, lol.

... But I didn't realize that ratings were down league wide... I would LOVE for that to be because of Warriors bullsh!t.

clutchdabear and Stepback3GOOD like this.
  17. lionaire

lionaire Member

I could only get through the first minute of that video without getting the feeling of wanting to vomit all over again.

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I already knew a lot of the NBA is rigged, but the Memorial Day Screwjob actually ended my serious interest in the league.

19. 92i

92i Member

I haven’t watched a single NBA game since the Rockets got screwed by the refs in last year’s playoffs. I only watched the last 2 minute and the OT when we beat GSW and Harden made that game winner a couple weeks ago.

I only follow it through Instagram and come here by reflex since I have been on this forum since 2008.

I can not comprehend how y’all are still interested in this product and thr NBA as a whole. The NBA is a fraud.

SuperMarioBro, clutchdabear and BigM like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Watch any movies. The good guys are never overpowering the opposition. The bad guys are always the more powerful force.

The narrative of the underdog is always more compelling.