1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wayne Ellington & MIA discuss future

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SRR21, Jan 20, 2019.

1. ilias

ilias Member

I like him too, and I agree he is not an ideal fit for us. He is just too small to play small forward, and we are well covered in guards. We just need a starting SF or a starting PF if PJ moves down to SF.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

IMO PJ is not a PF in this NBA and in our system. What we need is someone who can start at SF and also someone who can backup the PF spot. There's some unfortunate misdirection going on here where the team's cheapness is making some people forget that we needed to add a high quality forward WHILE House was starting and playing very well. That hasn't disappeared. We need to add two quality 2-way forwards to this roster.

Vienna Calling likes this.
  3. SRR21

SRR21 Member

This guy can catch and shoot 3s at a high rate. I think we need more guys that can shoot with confidence. I would rather have too many than not enough. The past health of our players tells me to grab what we can when we can.
    Also our defense cant be fixed by a single trade so just make our offense stronger.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

I've like Wayne Ellington since he was ballin at UNC with Ty Lawson, but I don't think he fits in great because he is a limited defender. I feel like he would get picked on in the playoffs on switches.

amaru likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean I'll be honest, I'm 100% on board with trading Melo and Chriss for Ellington because that's turning two scrubs into one solid player and an open roster spot. That said, Ellington doesn't solve anything for us and probably necessitates another move to clear logjam at the guard. I wouldn't say no to that deal though because again, it's smart asset management. It's just not an ideal move for us.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that the Heat are in any hurry to move him (just an opinion nothing told to me) and I don't see the Rockets including the draft pick the Heat would want to make the deal happen.

Having said that, I can tell you that the Rockets are not just targeting 4/5 help, but are actively looking for guards that can shoot the three. It seems odd, but I have had someone involved with the Bulls and someone involved with the Rockets both independently said the Rockets want more long range shooters. My guess is we will see even more small ball line ups.... which I wonder how that works with GS and Cousins and Green.

FLASH21 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

@KellyUnchained just said the same thing in his latest article. It's not that I'm surprised they want shooters, they SHOULD want shooters, I'm just surprised they'd want someone with so little defensive versatility.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

While I would like more three point shooters, I think the real issue is at the 3-5 and I would think that would be the chief concern, but not necessarily.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

We need a guard more than a forward now as EG can play sf bit Cp3 is still injured. It means that when Rivers has an off night we dont have a replacement, as least for forwards there are Ennis and Green.