1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does SF WANT to be traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by beyao, Jan 30, 2004.

1. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Or is he trying to send a message to the organization that VG's system will not work for him? Either way, I think Steve's struggles of late go beyond someone who is just "adjusting" to a new system. As a former player myself (albeit just up to college), I know that new plays can tinker with your shooting %. But a jump shot is a jump shot, and the frequency of SF's air balls and bricks of late just don't happen to players of his calibre. I don't think SF is purposely missing, nor do I think he neccesarily WANTS to be traded, but I do think that on some subconcious level, he thinks he is being limited by VG and is thus (again maybe not on purpose) putting himself in difficult shooting situations.

In the SAC game, there was a play where he was at the top of the key and had a relatively open 18 footer. For some reason, he launched it was unwarranted arch, more than he usually puts on his shots, especially when there is no defender within blocking range. There was simply no need for it and it made the shot that much more difficult. The result? An airball. Those are the type of shots one takes when playing against a kid and there's no challenge.

I know SF is prone to making things more difficult on himself than the average player, but it just seems more blantant of late. Combine that with his remarks to the press (e.g., "it's been very hard, very hard) and uninspired play of late - I think there is a case to be made that SF wants out.

2. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I don't buy it. Francis tanks because he wants to be traded. No way...not even sub-conciously. No player wants to be traded. I think Francis is in a slump because he's stuck between being "the man" in Rudy's ISO offense and being the point guard/playmaker in JVG system. Plus he's got the burden of increasing his defense too. That said, I feel like we should trade Steve. I like his game...man does he have talent, as much as anyone in the league. But I'd rather have a less talented guy with more basketball smarts. You know someone who makes the right decisions at the right times...ie at the end of games and quarters.

3. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

This is a Yummy Bear !

Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (16.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.9 apg in 39.6 minutes)
    SF Bostjan Nachbar (3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.6 apg in 11.1 minutes)
    SF Scott Padgett (3.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 9.1 minutes)
    Houston receives: PG Gilbert Arenas (18.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 4.8 apg in 35.9 minutes)
    PF Kwame Brown (9.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 27.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +5.4 ppg, +2.7 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

Washington trades: PG Gilbert Arenas (18.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 4.8 apg in 35.9 minutes)
    PF Kwame Brown (9.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 27.3 minutes)
    Washington receives: PG Steve Francis (16.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.9 apg in 45 games)
    SF Bostjan Nachbar (3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.6 apg in 31 games)
    SF Scott Padgett (3.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 35 games)
    Change in team outlook: -5.4 ppg, -2.7 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Steve , Take your game back home ! :p:) :)

4. Toast

Toast Member

Not to go Freud on SF's shooting, but I think it has to do more with his shooter's mentality. Previously in his head he only really trusted himself (and maybe Cat) to be able to score. He put a lot of pressure on himself and his ability to put the ball in the basket.

Now he's asked to trust his teammates and let them take pressure off his offensive game. The result? Without the pressure he puts on himself to score, he's too relaxed about his shooting approach. He trusts his teammates to do some scoring. Steve, your teammates need to be able to trust you to nail the open J too, my man.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Has anyone noticed how many big guys P-Ew has worked with the previous two seasons have been linked with the Rox?

The over/uner is...nada.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

He tanked himself in the last game. He kept cringing after each bad play. What that does is bring you lower. He needs to let his mistakes go and just have fun out there. Keep smiling even when things are going wrong.

Another football analogy here. Coach Phillips used to say that during the superbowl the team having good fortune gets on such a high while the team getting beaten is on such a low that you often see blowouts in the big game. And it's true of steve Francis. When he gets down on himself you can see it in his face.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Why in the world would we want to trade Francis for Arenas, who is a poor man's Francis? :confused:

8. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Francis is probably eating SALTY food again. I think it has to be the Meniere's disease.

9. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Then why the hell he took those stupid shots at the end?

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd take Arenas, if he were healthy.

As someone else has mentioned in another thread, everyone brings their "A" game against Francis. Well, actually, everyone should always play up to his ability, but even then...knowing that Steve is the All-Star/ESPN highlight reel, they play their best against him. Problem with Steve, he has to adjust his game AND actually meet the opposing guard's intensity.

As far as whether he's tanking, I don't know. I think he wants to make this work. You never know. He could have gone to management and said, Look, you need such-and-so player, I need such-and-so freedom to operate, if you need to let me go, it's OK, just don't trade me somewhere I won't like. (But we would never be privy to such a situation.)

By the way, Francis/Pike for Arenas/Kwame? If Arenas were past his abdominal strain, why not? Even if we don't keep said players, what's wrong with involving a 3rd team?

Steve Francis playing home for gramma. A real PG playing for us. Mmmm. Get a real small forward too and we're there.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

uhh, arenas is a real PG and steve isn't? you do know how arenas plays and what his stats look like don't you?

in the 20 games he played, he averaged 4.8 asts and 4.1 turnovers, an ast/to ratio that would be shameful even for steve. oh, and he was actually shooting worse (.384) than steve in his biggest slump ever.

and he was a turnover machine last year as well. as fadeaway said, he's steve francis, jr.

and the other guy in the trade, kwame, is just a rich man's version of eddie.

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I briefly wondered the opposite, if Steve was tanking to avoid being traded. Naw, that's crazy talk, Mr. Bojangles. You adorable wittle puppy ! You talk so cute!

Mr. Bojangles was telling me the other day that he thinks Steve will surely end up in Chicago. That's where he wanted to be drafted in the first place. They have picks, extra big men, a real pg, and some bad contracts. They need a big star. They can contend with him playing his game in either backcourt spot, or both! Like he does now! It's the East.

You're so smart, Mr. Bojangles! Smart and cute!

opinions express herein are those of Mr. Bojangles, fluffy stuffed poodle, and not those of pasox2, this site, or it's contributors.