1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela signs 5yr, $80mil deal ($90M w/ incentives) with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 27, 2018.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Uthoff is another shooting 5.

He doesn't even play same position as House (wing/3-4) or the ability to create his own shot.

Clark also a 3-4.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

D-rock, King1 and Obito like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

I must say holic turning into this name calling, upset, shade throwing poster is pretty funny. And it keeps coming only after the rockets win

2019 coming through. new year, new holic

[​IMG]

#703 YOLO, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    topfive likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This thread is a work of art.

King1, topfive and Nook like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep...I got nuth'n. Speaking of nuth'n, why haven't any of the 30 GMs in the league offered Randolph a contract? Surely a player that could contribute more to the Rockets than Clint Capela (borderline all-star selection), is worth a roster spot.

6. basketballholic

Dunno and don't care.

You had no comment on either Beverley or House. You knew NOTHING about either player until they actually played in Rocket red.

That's precisely my point about Randolph and others. You know nothing about them. You're just using the dumb man argument that they're not in the NBA therefore they're not good enough to be in the NBA, much less help us more than Capela would. You're so drunk on Capela stats that your don't even know that Thad Young, Julius Randle, and Justise Winslow would all be better fits at the 5 and increase our chances of beating the Warriors above what our chances are with Capela playing 5 against their death lineup.

7. basketballholic

You don't know that they haven't. That's strictly a guess on your part.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Another impressive stat, win share rankings for 2018-2019:

1. Anthony Davis • NOP 7.3
    2. Giannis Antetokounmpo • MIL 6.7
    3. Rudy Gobert • UTA 6.7
    4. James Harden • HOU 6.3
    5. Paul George • OKC 6.1
    6. Clint Capela • HOU 6.1
    7. Kevin Durant • GSW 6.1
    8. Damian Lillard • POR 5.7
    9. Steven Adams • OKC 5.4
    10. Nikola Jokic • DEN 5.4

Surprisingly, Capela's impact isn't being recorded by the defensive win shares stat. He's actually #3 overall in offensive win shares.

1. Anthony Davis • NOP 5.1
    2. James Harden • HOU 5.0
    3. Clint Capela • HOU 4.7
    4. Kevin Durant • GSW 4.7
    5. Damian Lillard • POR 4.5

It probably helps to be #4 overall in offensive rebound pct. Advanced stats love this guy.

D-rock and FLASH21 like this.
  9. basketballholic

Clark is a small ball 4-5 in our system as is Uthoff. (As is Bruno.) House is a 3-4. Uthoff is the best player of the three guys currently. He's simply got more skills that are more highly refined than the other two. And yes, he can create his own shot. I'd love to have him.

#709 basketballholic, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  10. bobrek

Yeah...I knew nothing about House. I've been a UH basketball fan since before Elvin Hayes was on the team.

topfive likes this.
  11. bobrek

Yep...it is an assumption. Surprising to me that Morey wouldn't sign THE guy (at least a guy that is available) that would better enable the Rockets to beat the Warriors.

Also surprising that the other 29 GMs in the league wouldn't sign him since he is such a quality player.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Anthony "2 years away from being 2 years away" Randolph.

King1 likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Liar. He almost NEVER played that 5-man unit. Either you are dumb or MDA is dumb. I am not. :p

topfive likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

15. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Alexey Shved is shooting 40% from 3 on 12 per game right now, Carmelo Anthony shot well over 40% on high volume from 3 during his olympic career.
    Randolph is only shooting 4.5 3s per game on a 22 foot long 3 point line. Sergio Rodreguez's career 3PT% is 5% higher in Europe than it was in the NBA (33%). Michael Jordan shot above 40% from 3 with the shortened line, yet only shot 33% for his career.

The Rockets offensive rating as of today sits at 114.5, good for second in the NBA, even with the injuries and horrid start. Randolph would have to convert on 38% of his 3s, 57% of his 2s (reasonable enough, he shot 63% from 0-3 feet in the NBA, but at 29 1/2 IDK how well he compares to NBA athletes anymore).
    He was a 75% FT shooter with a respectable FT rate, so he might make it up in the foul department.
    At 6-10 205 he's WAY too thin to run the P&R anywhere near the volume or effectiveness of Capela. Rebounding has always been an issue for him, 9'3' standing reach with a pretty mediocre 15% TRB%, as already one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the NBA, replacing our best rebounder by far with him is a recipe for losing to the Thunder in the first/second round.
    His wingspan is pretty damn good for his size (7'4"), only an inch shorter than Clint's at the same hight. But even with the length, the only 6'10"+ guys I've seen stay in front of guards on a semi-consistent basis at age 29 are Hakeem and maybe Kevin Durant. I doubt his lateral quickness at 29 surpasses Clint's at 24.

From everything I read about him, aside from an undeveloped 3 pointer and a penchant for mid-range jimbos, he never played with consistent intensity or effort in the NBA. Maybe he fixed in in Europe but IDK, he looked good in Eurobasket as the 3rd option behind Doncic and Dragic.

Maybe he's worth taking a minimum contract on, as a replacement for Nene, but to suggest he's better than Clint Capela shows a complete disregard to any skills required for a center outside of three point shooting.

hakeem94, D-rock, King1 and 2 others like this.
  16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Seriously.

How do I bookmark this ****!

topfive likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Holic Descending a Staircase

Down and down he goes; when he'll stop, nobody knows.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

What a shock! Our resident basketball genius who loves to insult the intelligence of other posters knows even less about Shakespeare than he does about Clint Capela and the Rockets. It's "bated" breath! Hahahahahahahahahahaha! This is comedy gold!

D-rock, Swiss Roll and topfive like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

He blames autocorrect for all spelling and grammatical errors. I mean, they couldn't possibly be his fault.

D-rock and King1 like this.
  20. bobrek

I refrained from correcting him. I am enjoying his takes too much to deviate.