1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Not a big Keith Law fan, but his take:

3. djl3485

djl3485 Member

Think anything else is in the works since this clears a roster space?

4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

It’s still a long time until the start of the season. A lot can happen, but no, I think this was strictly a move to get something from nothing.

vince likes this.
  5. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Maybe Luhnow is going to get more aggressive.

No Worries likes this.
  6. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

While speaking of potential pitching targets on Friday, McTaggert speculated that we are more likely to add pitching via a trade, and he suggested Stroman and Gray could be realistic options.

7. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

After trading another optionable player in Davis, Houston’s opening day 40 man roster situation is shaping up to be very interesting. Kemp and White are out of options. Smith, McCullers, and Martes will go on the 60 Day DL. They currently have 2 open spots. There should be at least 6 new players on the 40 man between now and April 1st.

9. Buck Turgidson

I like it. Best of luck to Davis, I think he's going to hit in MLB if he can find a position to play. I trust Luhnow and crew re: the youngsters we got back.

“I mean seriously if the Astros start calling you on dudes below full season A you should just hang the **** up” -- BP

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What’s interesting is that despite Houston’s reputation, not 1 player on their projected roster was acquired as a low level minor leaguer from another team. Martes, Paulino, Arauz, and Alvarez all had their prospect stock shoot up after Houston traded for them, but none are core pieces (yet). Martes just had Tommy John. Paulino was part of the wifebeater trade. Arauz struggled in High A. Alvarez is a top prospect yet to reach the majors. Lupe Chavez retired before reaching A ball. That said, the track record for those types still shows teams should be wary of trading with the Astros.

11. vince

vince Member

All in all, even if these guys never make it to the big leagues, they help establishing a winning culture. They help push each other and their teammates. Deep farm systems force all guys to push beyond the limits of God given physical talent, and find their true peak performance. And peak performance is what every coach, manager, GM, etc. covets in their players whom their jobs depend upon.

Rileydog and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Wouldn’t mind getting Sonny Gray, gives the Astros a LH SP with years of team control. Yankees are desperate to get rid of him and have no room for him in the rotation, wouldn’t take elite prospects. He had a 3.17 era outside of Yankee Stadium last season.

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Gives the Yankees more for Machado/Harper

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Isn't he a RH SP? Also if the Yankees are desperate to get rid of him, I would think they would just dump him to an NL team or a team that has a good chance of missing the playoffs in the AL. I can't see them trading him to the Astros. Wouldn't want to potentially see him in the playoffs and come back to haunt them. Unless they truly think he sucks and would welcome the opportunity to face him. I can see them asking the Astros for more compared to what they would ask from other teams. Would be funny if they avoided the Astros so they trade him to another team. Tgat team then trades him to the Astros for a better return than what they gaved up.

15. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

Gray’s ERA as a LHP is currently 0.00 with zero homeruns surrendered... Same as Verlander and Cole, so he’s in elite territory.

Smacktle, King1, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not to brag but I too ...

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sonny Gray is an unrestricted free agent in 2020 as well as a right handed pitcher.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. Senator

Senator Member

Thoroughly underwhelming after so many of the 17 title team regressed to the mean. Boston, NYC, Oakland and possibly Anaheim have only been getting stronger , need to get that marquee pitcher with so many ready to leave. If you cant pay someone on big 2 yr contracts before the Springer, Correa Bregman extensions, you're too worried about profit margins instead of a long term culture of success. After 5 yrs of 100 loss tanking, only 1 title is pathetic.

lw17 likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Stupid Luhnow. I didn't realize the season was already over and the title window completely closed. Verlander acquired 08/31. Cole acquired 01/13.

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  20. Senator

Senator Member

Verlander 37, will he extend?
    Cole to get 120 mil plus, will it come from stros?
    Keuchel past his prime , waiting for a 100 mil contract.

You cannot rely on Whitley to be a playoff starter in his rookie season.

I like Greinke with Az paying large amount.
    Same with shin choo choo and Texas.
    You have to go over budget for the next 2 to 3 years, be stricter with payroll with the big 4 extensions kick in.