1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Movie] Aquaman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jul 16, 2018.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Saw it tonight. Was better than expected if you go in with low expectations. It's closer to hitting the Marvel formula better than other DC movies except for Wonder Woman.

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Wow.

Went in with no expectations because I knew it would be terrible from the trailer.

Yet somehow I still walked out disappointed.

I don't think I've cringed more in a 2.5 hour period than I did sitting through that.

BruceAndre likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

that dude was just trolling for some attention

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

She continuously gets casted cause shes beautiful with 2 very adoring attributes going for her, and expressiveness is not one of them. I say keep casting her in everything.

GRENDEL likes this.
  5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hardly a masterpiece, but an enjoyable romp. Jason Momoa wasn't asked to do much but look great and crack wise, and he did a nice job of that. Loved the skintight bodysuits on the actresses, but those wigs... lol. Amber Heard and Patrick Wilson managed to not be ridiculous, but it might've been more fun if they had been. Dolph Lundgren in two big-budget movies at the same theater in 2019! Wild.

As far as superhero move rankings, I'd slot it in somewhere between Thor and Doctor Strange on the rewatchability scale.

GRENDEL likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Quite possibly some of the worst choice of pop songs in a movie. They had a ****ing Pitbull cover of Africa.

Rocket River likes this.
  7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

You can blame James Wan for that, 100%.....

James Wan’s “Aquaman” is both ambitious and ridiculous, sometimes in the same scene, and its gonzo embracing of both epic adventure and a dash of cheese is being touted as one of its best features.

Still, even by its standards, one of the more eye-rolling moments is the use of Pitbull’s new track “Ocean to Ocean” which heavily samples Toto’s iconic “Africa” and heralds the arrival of the film’s two main characters on shore at one point as they go in search of the Trident of Atlan.

Speaking with Business Insider, Wan says it was a deliberate choice to lean into the ridiculous for that scene:

“[Putting] the song in the sequence where Aquaman and Mera walk out of the water in slow motion, I felt: For f—-‘s sake, let’s have fun with it! It’s something out of Fast and Furious. [It was] very tongue-in-cheek, and we just wanted to have fun with it. And we wanted a cheeky song at that point of the movie. I just wasn’t sure what song it was going to be.”

Pitbull signed on early for the film which resulted in the song in question which has already been played over 2 million times in its first week on YouTube.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/wan-on-aquaman-song-conjuring-3-story/

8. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Not trolling. Some of you guys cry "martha" but have no issue with two warriors in a ring surrounded by tribesmen on tiny ledges...like WTF were they air lifted up there? Or the fact that Wakanda is this incredibly rich nation, but most of their population hides the fact by living outside the wall of invisibility in poverty. Did I see buildings with thatched roofs? Skyscrapers, with thatched roofs.

Ant man was pure ****. Point is, Marvel movies are just as sloppy and shitty as DC movies. Some of you fanboys just are homers.

9. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Are you serious....no cringe worthy moments? Ant Man was one long drawn out piece of cringy crap. So your saying the ending..."wait...I have the power to heal you" wasnt Peincess Leia floating through space cringe? The whole "Last time I went huge I slept for 3 days" but this time I'm going to shake it off after sinking to the bottom of the ocean first? Please dude...garbage.

Marvel has good, but most is crap.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

6/10....from me!

Took my family to see it on Christmas eve, my family liked it and that's what matters most.

(P.S.) Two thumbs up for putting Jango Fett in the movie...

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Took my nine year old son to see it today. It was decent...enough action to keep me entertained and Mamoa did a good enough job making wisecracks and fighting. I give it a “B”. It was weird seeing Willem Defoe as a good guy.

My son, who is a big Marvel fan (he ripped through all of the Marvel movies over the summer), said “This was the best movie I have ever seen”

So there you have it...entertaining movie that is amazing if you are a nine year old.

13. Buck Turgidson

"The worm has definitely turned for you, man."

[​IMG]

GRENDEL likes this.
  14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Forgot about Elias! Quintessential good guy!

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I finally got around to watching this and it's one of the dumber movies I've seen in quite a while. I think there was some fun to be had if you could turn your brain completely off so I could see how kids could like it but if you put any thought to what universe this is in, it falls apart.

Why wouldn't Superman respond to this global threat? Where is Wonder Woman? What exactly is Aquaman's capabilities? Apparently he's immune to bullets and grenades, but is easily cut open by Atlantis' special metal? Jumping out of planes without a parachute isn't a problem apparently.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

His powers are a bit ambiguous.
    1. He is stronger and more invulnerable than a normal person
    2. He can breathe underwater
    3. He can swim very fast

These skillsets are more or less it.

My problem is the lack of a problem with two underwater dwellars roaming the fricking desert
    One of his weaknesses was suppose to be lack of water . . . but it was not a problem
    Even if he was able too . .. Mera should not have been

I liked the movie . .. i put it on the level with THOR's movie

Alot of things just made me cringe and roll my eyes
    but overall it was enjoyable.

Rocket River

GRENDEL likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah the wandering the desert thing was a bit weird to me too. I agree that there were a lot of elements that were fun, but I think for me I couldn't get past the numerous dumb and cringe-worthy parts that ruined immersion. I think it would have worked better if this movie came out before Wonder Woman, Justice League, BvS, and the Man of Steel movies or at least before Justice League so they can give a reason for why Superman doesn't just show up and kick everyone's ass. You just can't have a global scale threat in the DC universe without making an excuse for why Superman and the rest of the Justice League isn't in on it.

Also, it kind of felt like they stuffed a trilogy worth of plot into one movie.

I realize after I go back and read all of this it comes across like I hated the movie, but I didn't. I think it's a bit like Star Wars The Last Jedi for me. I enjoyed it decently enough when I first watched it but I had some issues with it that ended up being like the little threads that you pull on a little bit and the whole thing starts to unravel. So for the record, I did actually have a bit of fun watching the movie. Most of my complaints happened after I turned my brain back on after my immersion into the film was snapped during the 3rd act with the Lord of the Rings style battle sequence....I mean, how do you even have underwater catapults? Why ride sharks or whatever when you are clearly more powerful and faster than them? Is it just to look cool?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I did not hate it either
    but
    I ain't gushing over it

IT was fun . . .it was THOR
    The whole premise of the story is
    Rejected Men go to war because women went to other dudes.
    but they did not focus there
    Like KillMonger - Orm was not exactly wrong with his assessment of the Surface World.
    Neither Mera nor Aquaman has **** to say to deny his cause
    They had no solution to the problems he brought forth
    I just didn't like Aquaman's win . . . .. . ..
    We water people .. . we going to rule over water people. . .but the only way I can win is take him out of the water . . . ..

I nitpick . . because it was entertaining movie and I will probably watch again on cable

Rocket River

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I forgot that he is the only person in the AquaVerse that can speak to fish

The Aqua Elite Force were some Red Shirt B!tches

Rocket River

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll probably watch it again too, I like giving movies a second chance so I can make sure that I didn't just watch it while in a bad mood or something like that.