1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL

2. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Raise your hand if you would pay for Bryce at 33 mil a year if it meant that would be our last real move of 2019?

3. djl3485

djl3485 Member

As much as I would like to have Harper....33 mil/year would cripple us for the future. He doesn't deserve a penny more than Altuve.

4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

A FA signing is a bit different that a hometown extension. Altuve would never had gone so cheap if he had reached FA. There’s security in getting the big $ early. Ask Keuchel—he probably could have gotten more $ as an extension after his WS ring.

If we gave Bryce the mega contract we would definitely have to get creative with future deals. I’m not sure it would cripple us, however.

5. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I’d rather trade for Greinke for a few mid level prospects and some cash from the D Backs — I think that is the kind of short term (large ) contract the Astros should be able to absorb vs a long term potentially crippling one like Harper is expected to get.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Isn't Keuchel a Boras guy?

8. Buck Turgidson

As is Marwin.

9. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

If u sign Harper, u almost have to trade Tucker. Could get a good return for him. Signing Bryce opens other doors.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

11. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

EE has been in steady decline. Martinez is the better get out of these 2. DH a priority in our FO eyes, it seems.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Am I the only one who would love to have Keuchel back? 4 years max, but I know he wants 5 or 6 so probably not a chance.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With the new luxury tax essentially serving as a salary cap, no team (not even major market teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, etc.) can take on a $30M+ annual contract without it having a very significant impact on their payroll flexibility. That said, Houston has exactly ONE guaranteed contract on the books past 2020 (Altuve). Signing Harper would certainly narrow their margin for error, and limit their capability of extending some of their other players. But it’s not outside the realm of possibility for Houston to make a competitive offer to Harper, and if they signed him, it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad idea.

The Beard and LonghornFan like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d like Keuchel back for up to $70M/4yrs. I’d even give him a $20M 5th year vesting option if he pitches at least 150 innings in 2022. But surely some team desperate to make some headlines will give him more than that.

The Beard and LonghornFan like this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Encarnacion is also owed 26.67 million if his 20 million dollar option for 2020 isn't picked up. I think the Indians sent the Mariners 5 million in the deal. The Mariners would have to eat a pile of cash to make that palatable considering what Cruz just signed for.

Martinez would be my preference as well. He is pre-arb this year and 4 years of team control left. His price would be higher in terms of prospects but would still leave salary space to add the pitching we need. He's 29 so not sure there is a ton of upside at this point. I'm surprised he only hit 17 HRs.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really can't see passing on a cheaper deal for Cruz and going after Encarnacion.

Martinez makes a lot more sense.

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Agreed on Martinez (as stated above). What I don’t know is true is the “passing on a cheaper deal for Cruz” bit. As stated previously, he might have just passed on us.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep. His wife likes the cold.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah. He probably passed on Houston because his wife likes the cold. I mean, Houston DID make a competitive offer, so there MUST be some reason other than money why Cruz rejected Houston and chose Minnesota. It’s only logical!

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Stros4me likes this.