1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Transformers: Bumblebee

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

How do you comment on more classic looks, and not even comment on Soundwave!

I'm seeing it just because they've gone back to original Soundwave. I still to this day have never forgiven my dad for leaving Soundwave, Laserbeak, Rumble and Savage on a plane.

TMac'n likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ahhhh. What!

Hyperventilating.

Maybe I can forgive my dad after all.

RocketTOOL and GRENDEL like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Laika is one of 3 production companies involved, but yes they do good animated films. The primary production company is the same one that has done all other Transformers. As for Knight, I can't comment as I haven't seen Kubo.

I'm sure it will be less Bay-ish since it is the first Transformers that he's not directing. I hope it's good, but I have been burned by Transformers before. I don't think it's likely that they change their formula after the last 11 years.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife and I are going tonight, pretty excited!!

Man that was traumatizing, Prowl was one of my first and favorite toys and character.....blasted brutally in the first 5 minutes.....then Prime....

[​IMG]

Jontro and TMac'n like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watched part of Age of Extinction last night. Sweet petunia, it was so,so bad, even my 12-year-old was picking up on how terrible it was. Why did they split up when they were climbing on the cables? Where did the cyborg dogs come from? Complete nonsense. The one transformer with the cigar....and they just walk around spouting catchphrases, no real dialogue. Put Marky Mark on top as the cherry.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I want to take my 5 year old to see it, but not sure if language might be an issue. He's really into Transformers: Robots in Disguise tv series right now.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Speaking of talking cars, kit from knight rider had one of the first GPS on TV.

8. Buck Turgidson

Intellivision was so badass.

9. GRENDEL

Wife and I caught and advance screening this past Saturday night.

Having Michael Bay step away is the best thing that could have happened to the series.

Travis Knight really nails the character, it's the first live action Transformers film that feels like a G1 movie.

It's got a few issues, villains are kind of meh and there's a couple of dead spots here and there but it's all pretty minor.

It's probably my favorite live action film in the series, hopefully they let Knight take the reins and continue with a mini reboot.

Think it's a strong B+

Mkieke, TMac'n and Dave2000 like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

@GRENDEL, is it ok to take children under 6 to this? Is it too violent or have any bad language?

11. GRENDEL

Mild language.....there's robot violence mostly but it's not nearly as over the top as "Bayhem" from the past movies......

6 is kind of young so some of the sequences might be a bit intense....this is coming from someone with no kids so it's really tough for me to gauge.....

TMac'n and Rockets34Legend like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Great visor! Bee

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I agree with this, I can recall at least one S bomb from Cena, I believe there was another. Violence wise there is one scene between a autobot/decepticon that was brutal but quick

I liked it myself, but fair warning to those who wanted to see more of Optimus Prime, Soundwave outside of what you see in the trailers, there isn't anymore than that. It was more character driven with Charlie's (Steinfeld) story feeling like a throwback 80s movie. Soundtrack is as awesome as it was in the trailers. I enjoyed it, probably do a repeat viewing in Dolby once it's released.

#53 Dave2000, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    TMac'n and GRENDEL like this.
  14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

A Transformer movie with heart, who would have thought?! They stripped the franchise down and kept things simple, and it pays off in a big way. You actually care about the human and robot characters. There's also some nice easter eggs to G1, besides the obvious robot designs. Only two minor complaints: the Sector 7 government antagonists are, like the Bay films, too comical and a weak point. That and the action, while fun, isn't perhaps quite as memorable as some of the other movies. If there's one thing Bay can do right, it's create incredible action scenes. Now when run amok, it's too much. But definitely that first film he did, there's some cool fight/chase sequences there.

If this is a soft reboot, I really hope we get some more sequels, as long as Travis Knight, and not Bay, is involved. I'd like to see where they take it from here. It'd almost be nice to feature Bumblebee as a wandering hero of sorts, the movies following his character arc as the human characters change with each film.

GRENDEL and cwebbster like this.
  15. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

If it is a reboot why can’t he talk?

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

He can talk, but his voice box gets ripped out in an opening fight scene.

17. elrond

elrond Member

Just watched this today, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm kinda tired of the whole bumblebee can't talk shtick, but I guess it helps them add half an hour to the movie since he just can't explain things via talking...

Transformers was my thing growing up, and I think similar folks will enjoy the movie. Lots of cool cameos, loved the 80s soundtrack as well. I still get this big happy grin on my face whenever I hear Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime.

Nitpicks:
    Don't understand how the initial plane fighting bumblebee is supposed to be blitzwing considering how much they were basing the visuals on G1. It's clearly Starscream. Feels like something they changed at the last minute, but didn't want to go redraw/recolor/reanimate him.

Why did they use the 2 villains that they did? Don't think those are real decepticons, unless they were in some much later version of transformers that I'm not familiar with. I'm sure they could've used some of the less popular decepticons for the villains.

Rockets34Legend and GRENDEL like this.
  18. GRENDEL

I don't understand either, they could have gone with a purple and tan color scheme if they were going to use Blitzwing. I think you're right, they must have changed something at some point. A few have pointed out that one of the seekers in the Cybertron portion also has the Starscream color scheme and could be the "real" Starscream.

Both of the villain didn't exist before the movie, they were created just for the film.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I never had bumblebee, but I did have the GoBot version.

[​IMG]

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Solid movie. 87. There was some solid camera work, they captured an era relatively successfully, and the relationship is believable. Generally Cena is funny although maybe one joke too many, and memo says I'm sorry way too much, but liked. Hot girls, cool machines, great CGI, and overall fun. Favorite moment was Optimus truck on the bridge. They should have ended the movie right there. So one to many endings, but little to be critical of as it was a good time.