1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019: Forwards and Centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

With the addition of AR25
    I think we have solid backcourt and backup Back courts

I like Ego Starting but
    He can slide to SG with either Paul/Harden or Rivers at PG
    Green is a competent 3rd string guy

So now . .. I am looking at Forwards

Gordon/Tucker/House/Clack
    If we go with this and work on improving House and Clark
    I would not have a fit . . . .
    If we could get an improvement to come off the bench . . .I would like that too

I am ok with the Center Position.
    Capela/NeNe/Hartie
    I would not cry if we found an upgrade

QUESTION: What's available at the Forward and Center Spots.

Rocket River

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm all for markieff. he would solve a lot of problems for us

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know for certain they won't give him up but he is on the worst of teams.

Lauri Markkanen, for the future also. He is balling. Also Wendell Carter Jr. he plays well with Lauri.

Gives us the market that we lost with Dmo. That is a 7 footer shooting well and with range.

You would have to go towards the youth movement.

#3 daywalker02, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Youth is definitely a plus.
    If we can get some STRONG youthful energetic players
    It would be FANTASTIC

Someone to grow with us from CP3 to Harden to Capela eras

Rocket River

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Mike Scott and Willie Reed would be good. Even Noah Vonleh.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Just made a similar post in the trade thread. You’re forgetting about Ennis as a small forward. We’d only need another center if there’s an injury; CC and Nene is plenty.

We need a power forward with size; that’s pretty much it.

It has to be someone that’s on a losing team and who’s price tag won’t be much. Markieff is the most realistic.

EDIT: Damn! MCW + Melo + Chriss falls a little short salary wise for Markieff. Might not work. Can we just add cash?

luckyman76 likes this.
  7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Since this is the season of forgiving. Andrew Bogut?

8. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Lmao what?

9. macan

macan Member

kevin love? an upgraded version of ryno. knight, chriss and 2 first rounders for love

whiskeyred likes this.
  10. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think the signing of Austin Rivers will provide the Rockets with unexpected roster flexibility. With him in the fold as a reliable backup/defender/3 point shooter (38% shooter on moderate volume/decent out of the corner) we can now look to package Eric Gordon with Brandon Knight to bring in a potential high salary player.

If I were Morey and I know my cap is maxed out with Paul/Harden/Tucker/Capela the players I would target would be people on long term contracts that can lock in our core over the remainder of Harden's prime. Trading for expiring deals means nothing when we cannot open up cap space to complement our core. I would definitely go after guys with 3+ years on their contract for the core and to flip later on down the line for rebuilding pieces.

So with that in mind I offer up a couple of scenarios I've been looking at for our team:

Trade 1:

Rockets Get: Blake Griffin/Evan Fournier
    Pistons Get: Jabari Parker/Michael Carter-Williams/Carmelo Anthony
    Bulls Get: Brandon Knight/Marquese Chriss/Hartenstein/Khyri Thomas
    Magic Get: Eric Gordon/Nene/Luke Kennard
    Sprinkle draft picks where you may

This trade is predicated on a couple of big ifs

Why Detroit does this trade: If their team continues to free fall out of the playoff picture, this can set them up for an interesting quick rebuild in a couple of ways. Every single contract for the Pistons would be up within 2 years. They get off the 4 year commitment to Blake Griffin and can pick up a team controlled player in Parker (maybe he gets it and becomes Tobias lite) and picks. The pulse of the team has been completely agitated. They are not winning, bad work ethic seen by Drummond and Jackson and have the 10th highest salary this year. If i'm their owner, I think about salary savings and a chance at a rebuild

Bulls: Rid themselves of a malcontent in locker room in Parker. Take on an extra year of Knight but can get draft compensations.

Magic: Depends how much they like Fournier

Rockets: Pair Griffin with a pretty versatile starting 5. The boy has proved he can shoot. Check the numbers and provides another playmaker. Can run multiple sets with him as primary handler/screen setter-slipper/big to big/flare. He can play our small ball 5 easily. Add in the fact that you easilyr eplace Gordon's production off the bench with Fournier (hell you could start him as well) and you have a solid 7 man rotation with gunners and youth.

Paul/Rivers
    Harden/House/Green
    Tucker/Fournier/Green/Ennis
    Griffin/Tucker/Ennis/Clark
    Capela/Griffin/MLE buyout

Trade 2
    Rockets Get: Kevin Love/Evan Fournier/Justin Holiday
    Cavs Get: Jabari Parker/Rockets picks
    Bulls Get: Same as above
    Magic Get: Same as above

Reasoning being the same. Cavs can reduce payroll and have all contracts be up within 2 years except sexton/zizic/osman and pick up picks for quicker rebuild

In this variation we add to our wing depth with a guy shooting amazing from 3 in Holiday.

Paul/Rivers
    Harden/Holiday/House/Green
    Tucker/Fournier/Holiday/Green/Ennis
    Love/Tucker/Ennis/Clark
    Capela/Love/MLE buyout

If I were Morey I would look to get predatory and throw in Gordon and all salaries to eat long term salary commitments that can play passable basketball. Turn some of those dead roster spots into something worth while.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That contract makes ryno and knight look like bargains

aroundtheblock2, BasketMAD and macan like this.
  12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That contract makes ryno and knight look like bargains

macan likes this.
  13. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

I want Robin Lopez on this team. We need another Solid Defender/Big Man. Maybe trade B. Knight for him?

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Good Jesus. So if you were Morey, one 10 pt game by Austin Rivers makes EG expendable?

luckyman76 and Remlap like this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Did you even read who we were picking up? Rivers isn't the only one replacing EGo, we would get Fournier and a frontcourt playmaker in the deal too. Fournier replaces what you expect from Gordon. Keep in mind Gordon has yet to sign an extension with us and is up next year. I'd look to get pieces for him quicker rather than later

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I don’t really see us taking part in a trade that big man. If we can get someone for Knights’ contract and picks then Morey would go for it again but it’s unlikely.

17. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Fair enough. I was just wanting to go as big as possible to really cement support for Harden.

A smaller deal that is plausible is getting Robin Lopez and Justin Holiday from the Bulls. Both expiring, would think they can be had for Knight/ Chriss/Picks. Holiday has been a stud from beyond the arc. Shooting 38% on 7 attempts. WS > 1.5 in the last 3 years. VORP at 1. Shoots near 40% from the corners. He would be a solid addition, sadly doesn't address our length issue but would be better than 2 empty roster spots.

18. 444-red center

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I really think we just need a back up PF and health. Is Lopez really necessary if CC and Nene are healthy? I guess it’d be nice to have for insurance but I feel we need more than insurance if we’re giving up picks.

I’ve seen Holidays stats, but to be honest, I haven’t watched him play. I mean, who has watched the bulls play?? Who are we taking minutes away from if we get him? Ennis or House?

D-rock likes this.
  20. 444-red center

Great trade , all we need is Deandre Jordan and we could have Clippers ( 2 )