1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you consider this trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mogrod, Jan 27, 2004.

1. jacago

jacago Member

Come on, this is my idea. Almost.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's just a bad trade no matter who you put with it.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

some of you people are smokin some wack stuff...........

this trade would be exceptional for us. Of course it doesn't work salary wise, but to get a pure shooter, a pure point, and a hustling rebounding four with potential. Who cares that they are in the leastern conference. TJ is equivalent to mark jackson except young and lightning quick.

So put down the bongs and take a step back. If you are going to respond to a trade thread, think it through. It is not how good the individual players are that makes a team great. It is how they fit together. With Yiggidy Yao as the center you want someone in the post that can rebound, have lateral quickness and can hit the ten foot J. You need a point guard who can create for others and get them the ball in the right spot, and you need a two that can hit the open shot w/o demanding plays always be run for them.

Gadzurick
    Ford
    Redd

Oh, and if you somehow did pull this off, it would free up cap space. :eek:

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

If the Buckswere to add Tim Thomas (for salary) or Mason to this deal, would this work better for some of you?

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

No! Are you a Bucks fan?

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Obviously you havnt been watching games for quite a long time now. Steve and Cat may have some bad games, but they are trying and they don't "Deman plays always be run for them." You are nothing more than a hater and thus you are blinded.

You can say that the trade is good because of the talent, but instead you choose to question the integrity of some of the best ball players on this team. Steve and Cat have sacrificed alot since Yao has come to the team. Say they havn't played well, but don't say they arnt trying and only care about themselves. That just shows your foolishness.

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

No, I'm not a Bucks fan. I love my Rockets and it was just an idea as an "what if" trade. Not to take anything away from Steve and Cat, as they are both good players and I like them both and would hate to see them go. I just feel like Redd, Ford would be a better fit for this team. But only my opinion.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

lets play ball rocket man josh.

As a nine to fiver that lives in the houston area and is addicted to basketball, I have been able to see every game this year. (Much to my wifes dismay) I understand that Steve, and especially Cat have morphed their games to fit into the Van Gundy gameplan. Personally, I have always liked Cat better than Steve, and I feel that it is pretty easy to say that this year Cat has definitely made more strides and actually looks great out there.

First off, I am not a hater and didn't question their commitment to the team. I only pointed out that there are better fits to the team. I think Steve will be a great player in his career and will thrive in the eastern confernce. I don't think that Ford is in his league as far as athleticism, but it is painfully obvious that we need a distributor at point.

As far as the cat for redd situation is concerned, I would much rather have cat. I like his ability to slash as well as hit the three and I don't think that Redd will ever be the defender that Cat is. Yet it was part of the pretence of the above outlined trade.

Finally, I didn't say that either of those players demand plays be run for them. I simply stated that to build a team around ming, certain styles of players will mesh better than others. Steve is dying out there this year without his freewheeling his was able to do under Rudy ball. (this is up for debate as to whether it is just a bad season, or the change in system) He is shooting career lows in three's and two point attempts. His a/to ratio is as bad as it has always been. The only reason that he is still a "contributing" member of the team is the fact that he has more heart and determination than most.

9. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I've got a great idea. Let's keep the team the way it is and trade with the Bucks so we go in the Eastern Conference and they take our place in the Midwest Division. Guaranteed we finish in the top 4

10. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

Bad trade - don't do it.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Worst trade proposal ever.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Mobley but if we could get Redd for him we would be very lucky.
    Cato and Mobley may not be enough to get him though because the Bucks are very high on him.
    As far as Francis is concerned I wouldn't trade him for T.J.Ford even though the latter is a better PG. Ford lacks the ability to shoot which is very important in an offense with Yao.

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I don't know, remember when everyone was Real Gm'ing it for Kevin Garnett? That was pretty bad...

14. DoDo

DoDo Member

Redd is playing for a team that has no other options, so of course his stats are a little more stacked than Mobley or Francis. If the rockets were smart they could have went for him last year Redd could have been had for Cat. Redd is having his T-mac year. Redd is all around a better player than Cat but I'm not sure if he is better than Francis. Since this is his break out year you should compare it to Francis's numbers when he was the main man. 20-6-6, 20-4-3 from Francis and Cat, they would get close or maybe improve on those stats if they were the main man on Bucks. Ford is a younger Jackson? Jackson was a good general from the start of his career, TJ seems indecisive at times. Francis averaged more assist with about similar talent (Rox rebuilding year with Thomas Cato Williams Cat and Francis) and scored more. So it breaks down to this guys.

Cat<Redd- Redd is phenomenal but Cat could ave near those stats if he was the main guy. Do you forget that Cat also use to ave 20 points and was a top 20 scorer? Cat is like Redd a shorter sg so defense about the same.

TJ<Francis- The difference here is huge. TJ is not putting close the numbers Francis did his rookie year. 10-5 is not the same as 18-6-6.

Gadzurick<Cato Cato rebounds better and can more effectively play the Center in the west. Not really anything to defend Gad here with.

The main goal would be cutting cost and possiblyt landing Kobe.
    Hmmm???
    Ford
    Redd
    Bryant
    Taylor
    Ming

15. amed

amed Contributing Member

TJ FORD SUCKS!!!!

16. ayears

ayears Member

Anther dumbest trade thread!:mad:

Clap for studogg!:D

17. tothomas

tothomas Member

How about

Francis for TJ

Cato to Boston For Mihm

Sign Chris Owens and Gabe Moneke as FA's (of course Ownes would be on IR for the rest of the season, but the future's the thing)

And hire Travis Mays as an assistant coach to help Mobley play a more team oriented game?

;)

18. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I would consider that you think about post #6

19. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 5.7 apg in 39.5 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 27.9 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 39.4 minutes)
    Houston receives: SF Toni Kukoc (8.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 21.5 minutes)
    SG Michael Redd (21.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.3 apg in 37.5 minutes)
    SF Tim Thomas (15.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.1 apg in 32.6 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +7.4 ppg, -3.7 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

Milwaukee trades: SF Toni Kukoc (8.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 21.5 minutes)
    SG Michael Redd (21.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.3 apg in 37.5 minutes)
    SF Tim Thomas (15.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.1 apg in 32.6 minutes)
    Milwaukee receives: PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 5.7 apg in 44 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 43 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 44 games)
    Change in team outlook: -7.4 ppg, +3.7 rpg, and +2.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Redd would be a fantastic fit with Yao. I'm not sure Ford can be a great nba player. He started hot, but I mistrust his size and shot.
    A pass - first point guard is certainly good for yao, though.

It's more problematic for the Bucks. The star of that franchise is Redd, with Ford still seen as exciting and promising. Tim Thomas is a disappointment. They have a backcourt that's good for the new NBA but need size and a dependable horse up front (not TT).
    We can't give them that. All we can do is swap a cheap backcourt they like for an expensive one that doesn't play well in the new NBA. SF3 would be a bad buy with no-one else on that team to play with. He really should go to Chicago, where SF3 would still have some support up front and could energize that big media market. We could get some picks, a baby bull, a point guard and more.

We might be able to make a deal with Cato, but I don't think they'd part with Redd for him. They'd rather give up Desmond Mason, who has zone-itis, like our boys. We'd have to do them a favor, like allow them to exit both TT's contract and A. Mason's contract in exchange for Cato and the TE, and then swap Cat for Redd.

All in all, hard to see a bucks/rockets deal. Worth a shot, but the Bucks probably won't be ready to dump their star just to get a couple of average guys in return. They'd have to really really need help exiting the bad contracts, and they're ok.