1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Jets

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 13, 2018.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw an interesting blurb in today's FMIA column

That's the kind of dressing up we should be doing to help out Watson. 5 wides also makes the reads easier, but we need weapons who can win 1:1 in a hurry as the ball needs to be out hot. The ball has to come out more quickly, bottom line. They either need to call it or he needs to see it. Blaming it on the OL now is just dumb. They are what they are, and let's hope for an infusion of talent this off-season.

Let's hope BO'B and Ryan adjust so DW4 has a chance to make a big entrance onto the NFL playoff stage!!

Jake Tower likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-15-nfl-team-of-the-week

[​IMG]

QUARTERBACK
    Sam Darnold, New York Jets – 90.3 overall grade
    The Jets aren’t making the playoffs in 2018, but as they look to the future, this performance by the third overall selection in the 2018 NFL Draft is something for the fanbase to get excited about. Darnold was excellent on throws traveling between 10 and 19 yards downfield, going eight-for-11 for 137 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

WIDE RECEIVER
    DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans – 93.5 overall grade
    Hopkins was targeted 11 times in the Texans’ win over the Jets, and the performance really did have it all. Nine of his 10 receptions resulted in a first down or touchdown, with Hopkins racking up 170 yards, two scores and averaging 4.85 yards per route run, the second-best mark among receivers with at least 20 snaps in route this week.

[​IMG]

LINEBACKER
    Benardrick McKinney, Houston Texans – 90.3 overall grade
    McKinney made an impact in all areas of defense for the Texans on Saturday afternoon, coming away with a pass breakup in coverage, two hurries from three snaps as a blitzer, and he also finished the game with four defensive stops.

3. Texanstradamus

Rams lack edge rushers something we do have after all they were trying to trade for clowney cause of that weakness

4. conquistador#11

I like the reddit post with screen shots someone posted in another thread. To blame the Qb for the holding on to the ball without the 'why?' is being very myopic. It's always a snowball effect.
    At times, the protection and the pocket is clean and Watson will evacuate to Katy because things are in his head telling him it's going to collapse due to it collapsing on previous sequences. This is the Mind F of having a beyond shaky line but Deshaun still has to "trust", which he said after the Cleveland game.
    Sometimes. the routes we were running had a back up Qb at slot, injuries. Jerrod Johnson's segment on 610 is probably my favorite. He breaks it down and doesn't hold back. Then there are checkdowns which many of us have been calling for since week 2 on game threads. That's on Watson. Take the 2 yard dump off rather than the hard hit. I think it was in that same Seattle game B.O.B said, "I like showing him film of aaron rodgers" on mic'd up. I would show Watson film of Dak Prescott, that guy throws some of the most beautiful check down passes I've ever seen. The ball will travel 30 yards in the air and it will be a one yard pass. It's a collective effort on to why he's taking the unnecessary sacks. And it's going to require a collective effort to fix.

The truth skeptics don't want to accept is that we need someone like deshaun with the ability to extend plays. And you have to take the bad with the Awesome as his game matures. What if the refs don't blow that whistle where he escaped? Open space for 30 yards. What if you take a knee with 25 seconds left in the half and get the f out there with a lead like any sane man. Instead, Watson is all wobbly going into the locker room.
    I wouldn't have any other qb for the situation we're in with his youth and love for the game he has. As it stands, Watson is the 6th highest rated passer in the NFL with flaws that can be ironed out.

TLDR version, It feels good to finally have a franchise Qb and I really really liked schaubie.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're not comparing apples to apples; the Chiefs have a better OL and significantly better playmakers. You just can't use them as the Texans' standard.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Sure I can.

I’m painting the picture that 4 route runners are better than 2 who don’t get quick route separation.

7. Hey Now!

If BOB had Tyreke Hill and Travis Kelce + KC's OL, are you arguing the Texans' offense would look the same as it does today? I think there's considerable merit in criticizing BOB and his system. It's working - but it often does feel like he leaves plays of the field/isn't always maximizing his strengths. BUT.... holy hell, we can't hold him to the same standard as one of the best offenses of this era. That's just not intellectually honest.

8. tmacfor35

One could argue that, Deandre Hopkins and Demaryius Thomas aren't the fastest burners in the world.

One could argue that when the Texans moved the ball well last year and the Jets game, the Texans constantly had 3 to 4 routes out in the secondary.

You can get away 2 WR running routes with Will Fuller out there as he probably commands more safety attention than DHop, but DT for the remainder of his career will not scare defenses enough to free up Hop in max protect scenarios.

The personel isn't good enough to beat KC, San Diego, or Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

They will need to air it out and hope that Deshaun's new ability to protect the ball remains the same as it has the last 7 games.

9. Hey Now!

Without max protection, Watson likely wouldn't have the time to take advantage of any Hopkins mismatches. They simply don't have the pieces right now. The good news is they're very close. A productive offseason and I think the Texans will be a force next year, assuming good health for Fuller and Coutee.

Right..... so why are you holding KC up as your standard?..........

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

Because

You can not beat them with the current conservative scheme in the playoffs.

You can beat them by spreading the field out and letting Deshaun play in space much like he did at Clemson, last year, and against Miami/parts of the Jets game.

Please see BoB's quote at the end of the Jets game.

"We let Deshaun spread it out so he could see the coverage"

Deshaun ran almost the whole drive and the ball came out quick negating that awful OL.

Why? because he saw coverage.

The Texans don't have the skill guys the Chiefs have. I am well aware of that. The more spread out scheme is what matters here.

Jake Tower likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not ready to say the Texans can't beat the teams that will be in the AFC playoffs. The degree of parity in this league is unreal.

Hey Now! and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. Hey Now!

Sure you can; in fact, in a game in which they out-match you, weapons-wise, that's *exactly* how you beat them. Ask Tennessee.

You're extrapolating *a* drive in which they had to score a touchdown. They can't play that way for 60 minutes; Watson would get killed. You don't negate a bad OL by providing *less* protection.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Which AFC QBs do you take over Watson? Brady, sure. But *not* because of how he's actually playing right now. Luck, if the Colts make it. Maybe Rivers - but, man... I don't know. I'm sure people will shout about Mahomes... Sure, from a results standpoint, maybe...

But I keep going back to Watson and those two National Championship games and how poised he was. I just don't think he can be rattled.

Rudyc281 and MadMax like this.
  14. HstnSprtsFan101

I just hope the Shareece Wright experiment is over. It’d be great to see Foreman & Kayvon activated for this must win game if they’re deemed ready

15. tmacfor35

You certainly can play that way or out of shotgun with a RB for much of the game.

Watson's passer rating out of Shotgun is tops in the league.

In regards to negating an OL. The offense isn't good enough running max protect.

That is a big issue.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

mahomes is in a great situation to succeed. you put him on the texans and he will not look as good as hes been

Hey Now! and mario_v like this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Kayvon Webster was put on IR back in October. Colvin is our only shot really at this point.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

They activated the 21 day window for Kayvon Webster last week

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Oh nice. Any help opposite of JJo is needed.

Nimo likes this.