1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are watching an all-time great in his Prime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by riko, Dec 16, 2018.

?

are we taking harden for granted

1. No

18.2%
  2. Yes

81.8%
  1. riko

riko Member

I’m not sure how it’s even a valid question. Chris is already a top 5 all time point guard and first ballot HOF candidate

djperm, BaselineFade and Lawlruschang like this.
  2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Harden is a rare talent. He is unique in the NBA in that unlike Giannis, Lebron, KD, etc. he doesnt have anything physically overpowering. What he has is just unbelievable skills, and when he's 'on', he makes the game look so easy it is remarkable to watch. Floaters, layups, midrange, threes, etc. from his left or his right, etc. his repertoire is second to none and it puts him in rare company.

He is also good enough that at times he can play for stats. It is obvious to me that he does this at times - he'll try to rack up assists or fight for a rebound over someone else on the team (I dont mind this as it gets him in the mode of going to the basket to rebound).

The thing with Harden that also sets him apart, this time negatively, is his general lackadaisical demeanor when things arent going well. He can be slow to get back on D when he turns the ball over (and some times just not even try to run back), and even when he's engaged he lets guys go around him way too easily. This can be maddening, especially when you've seen him defending much tougher players in the playoffs and effectively shutting them down. Unfortunately, I think Harden basically is who he is and there's not much changing that, so mine as well enjoy the good and try to surround him with as much talent as possible.

cbs1507, joshuaao, Jake Tower and 3 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt about that. I'm shocked that BigBum asked it.

4. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Very well said. Cheers.

djperm likes this.
  5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

He’s lazy, a bad passer, fat, turnover
    Prone and doesn’t defend like arguably the best defensive player in history so he sucks. Dmo is better

DD

robbie380 and BigMaloe like this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yes, we are

We are also watching an all-time great's prime being wasted by an owner who cant pay for talent around him.

vlaurelio, ryano2009 and J.R. like this.
  7. smp

smp Member

I get it. I've been through the times when our best player was guys like Pippen, Francis, K-mart, etc. We have a legit superstar and I'm enjoying it!

djperm and Lawlruschang like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought this was gonna be a thread about Murray. am disappoint

BruceAndre and ryano2009 like this.
  9. dream2franchise

The amount of times I see a 35/4/5 stat line posted by another player plastered all over twitter and all I can muster is a shrug. Harden's a beast.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

We aren't taking him for granted, we as rockets fans know how great he is and we truly witnessing greatness but people around the league think his numbers are inflated due to MDA (which doesn't make any sense because we the number 1 team in the league in iso) and get most of his points from the ft line, the guy is unbelievable of how good he is and is truly a pleasure of how far he came as a player, when he came into the league he was a 6th man and had to work hard to be the player that he is today, I dont think any 6th man in the history of the nba became a top 3 player in the league or in a contentios to be labeled as the best player in the league, it is going to be sad day in Houston sports when the guy hangs it up and I hope he end up a rocket for his entire career.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX, vlaurelio and smp like this.
  11. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

While everyone bashes James for his ability to draw fouls, defensive players should stop trying to put their hands in the cookie jar! The one thing that James never does, that MJ, Reggie, Kobe and many shooters have done through out the years to draw a foul, is the old kick out, holding the leg out for as long as possible. If anyone ever came close to that leg, they'd turn in the direction of the passing player trying to get the call. I hate that move! But it seems to be generally accepted and no one ever complained about it. The Mailman would just straight up kick you in the nuts. Ask Robert Horry! But if you swing down on someone's arm, try to go over the screen using hands and arm, touch the arm while shooting, or don't give a jump shooter a place to land, that should always be a foul!

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I can't believe any true Rockets fan would vote no.

bballjunkie and vlaurelio like this.
  13. mockster

mockster Member

Main steam hates him. The casual nba internet fans hate him. That’s kind of the curse of not being in LA or NY in the nba.

bballjunkie and Lawlruschang like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a tricky question meant for newbs

Pure fans know harden is an all time great

Pure fans have suffered terrible playoff first round exits by inferior players

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers of clutchfans regonize the greatness of James Harden

djperm and Rocket River like this.
  16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I dont think Harden/Rocket fans are taking Harden for granted but other NBA fans certainly are. Especially the Rocket/Harden haters. You have Laker fans stalking every Harden video on youtube and downvoting it, going on every Harden social media post to mock him, going to major media outlets like reddit to wish Harden died or suffered a career ending injury, you know they live sad pathetic lives.

beardsanity713 and ryano2009 like this.
  17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Harden is incredible. Period.

But, with talent comes demand. There's a limited time to surround James with the weapons he needs to win it all. That window is small for every player except LeBron James.

There cannot be any wasted seasons with James as your franchise player. Period.

This will not be a wasted season, but it's already going to be tougher than the previous.

#DecreaseTheDrop

djperm, Deuce, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  18. split41

split41 Member

What really sucks is how he's perceived by the general NBA fanbase. This dude is hitler to them. Every season there's a new thing for them to critique Harden for: Eurostep is a travel, poor defense, step back is a travel, now its just "too many fouls!"

I feel bad for the guy, an all-time great, playing amazingly, but mainly people just criticize the guy.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There has really only been two other instances of a player who can create and and score as efficiently as Harden. That would be Lebron and Oscar Robertson.

He legitimately is a probably a top 5 offensive player of all time.

djperm and Lawlruschang like this.
  20. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

When you're great, you expect a championship. Game 7 last year still stings.

BruceAndre likes this.