1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I’m on the edge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 6, 2018.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

So Memphis is the bar now?We ain’t freaking Memphis. Screw Memphis. What’s the guarantee that tanking will get us an impact player? They have changed the lotto system. Tanking guarantees nothing. If you are telling me that no trade for playable players is possible then you got me. If Harden has given up or doesn’t care as has been suggested then go ahead and tank.

I still think the right trade or trades can put us back in contention. The west is still wide open, and not even Memphis or the Clippers are out of reach.

HP3 likes this.
  2. farhen

farhen Member

whole package name it we got it

3. munco

munco Member

Why do you think MDA deserves more blame than Morey? If anything it should be the other way around. Morey gave CP3 that monster contract, signed Melo, signed MCW and let a Moute and Ariza walk.

BaselineFade likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tillman let Ariza walk . Luc hasn't done anything because he's injured , we replaced him with Ennis ... who has actually been good ... just not starter quality .

Melo was for vet min

CP3 was high risk ... but to think that he would be this bad .... no one predicted that .

MCW I'll give you .

The players are playing like **** . Gordon looks awful ; CP3 awful .... but more than individual play ... team play has gone down the drain . That's on the coach and his "system"

lw17 and Little Bit like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rockets versus the Edge

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

The new rules favor young, energetic teams. They had a specific goal to get rid of isolation basketball and replace it with off-ball movement. They want everyone to play like the Warriors and Spurs of old.

No team got screwed over more than the Rockets. That said, we can continue whining about it or do something about it. MDA needs to change the offense.

lw17, dc rock and HP3 like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tucker and others getting three fouls in 10 minutes is killing up
    We simply are not allowed to play the same defense
    the problem
    is that we don't get that same respect on offense

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Memphis is not the bar, but it shows you that you can still do that without going into a multi year full rebuild, we're literally talking about 5 months. And yes, there's no guarantee you will get a Jaren Jackson in the draft, but in the worst case you'd get a lotto pick to trade.

As for making a trade today well, that's another question and personally i'm not sure i would move our pick as today unless it's for a star, and the problem is i don't see a star available...maybe Love, but assuming we would be able to get him (which is obviously not a given), is he the player which would turn this team into a contender? I just don't see it. Sure, we might have a better chance to find a starting 3 to upgrade over Ennis, but i don't think a better role player will suddenly turn this team into what it was last season, i love Ariza but i don't think we're so much worse than last season because we swapped him with Ennis.

Regardless, like i said, i'm not saying to give up and start tanking right now, but if the team won't get any better in terms of play and results by January (let's say they're 16-28 at that point) well, we should really leaning towards the lottery.

Corrosion and BaselineFade like this.
  9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I understand. I’m Just a little emotional right now. I can’t believe this is happening.

Vivi likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm too bro, i just can't believe this is basically the same team that was about to beat the Warriors in a playoff series and win the chip like 6 months ago...

HP3 likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

I find myself watching this a lot.

12. munco

munco Member

I blame Morey because he knows the style of play D'Antoni teams play and the new guys don't fit well.

Melo might've been for the vet minimum but he was signed to play a significant role and he was averaging 30 minutes a game.
    The fact that no team has still picked up speaks volumes to how teams value the guy. A guy that Rockets were playing 30 minutes a game isn't even being picked up at all.

D'Antoni has coached for a number of years in the league and I don't really see him changing much. Like most coaches in the NBA they have a style/philosophy and they need their type of players to succeed. Morey did a terrible job this offseason to put together a roster that fits D'Antoni's system.

I do think D'Antoni should get blamed for the terrible start too but I think Morey is most at fault for the current record.

lw17 and BaselineFade like this.
  13. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

. 1. Paul being bad
    2. Gordon being trash
    3. Young teams getting better
    4. Injuries to start the season
    5. andthen ariza andLuc being gone.
    6. WCC hangover

I think that's the order of reasons why we suck.

Gorki likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What’s up with the linkin park reference

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It's a gimmicky offense that everyone was surprised it worked last year.

Looks like it's time to go another direction and hire a new coach. Too bad Harden will be blamed for being a coach killer at this point.

lw17 likes this.
  16. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We still have a top 10 offense, our defense is currently 26th. Obviously we were historically great offensively last year, so just getting top 10 is still a significant fall, but the 'ISO ball and 3s suck!' takes are kinda missing the glaring point. Our defense is ****ing awful. The Kings, Nets and the Bulls(!) all have better defensive efficiency ratings. There are certain things on the other end of the floor that are hurting our D, like CP and James turning the ball over, but that's on them as individuals. At some point you can't blame the system, which is pretty much the same as it was last year, you have to blame our Hall of Fame backcourt for coughing up the ball so many times. But the main focus and criticism should be our defense.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Or maybe , just maybe …. they aren't that good of a TEAM.

Harden & Capela are at or near the top of their positions , Tucker's a solid role player …. Everyone else is dead weight.

At this point , I'd trade everyone not named Harden , Capela & Tucker for draft assets and do my best to retool the roster in the offseason.

Hypothetically , what would you get in return for CP3 , EG and Knight in terms of contracts and draft picks ?

Mazulis likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What are these assets you plan to use to make these trades to put us back in contention ?

No one wants the poo platter of assets we have …. unless we are getting back a poo platter and that's not going to put us back in contention.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Melo is still on the Rockets roster …. a team will have to trade for him or wait for him to be cut.

Makes no sense for the Rockets to cut him and eat the salary while in the tax when they can send him elsewhere to be cut.

Teams know he's eventually going to be cut so they aren't beating the door down to acquire him directly.

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

I just hope that CP didnt really regress that much and all his play is due to that he is smarter than Morey and once he saw this team was broken he decided to tank it up for a top 8 pick. Because if he is that bad on first from four years then we are doomed lol